Topic: What`s in your toolbox?

How many keep a special tool box just for your guitars? What do you have in it? The lemon oil post made me think of this. I have a bottle of lemon oil. Some chrome polish. A can of furniture polish. ( I know that a lot of people frown on this, but the music shop where I go to said it is ok. It is the same as guitar polish except for the smell). A can of Johnsons Paste Wax. 2 chamois cloths. 2 screwdrivers. A set of mini screwdrivers. Toothpicks. # string winders and an electric string winder.A tuner. Extra sets of strings. Extra bridge pins. Extra tubes. And some other spare parts I will probably never use. Oh also, the toothpicks are for pushing the strings through on a strat when they don`t come out. Plus the Gibson guitar care kit I wasted my money on to begin with.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-03-16 11:13:50)

Re: What`s in your toolbox?

JJJ ... looks like your ready for the long haul!

I have a little tool kit I use for maintaining my fishing reels, and most of what's in there applies to guitar hardware also. It has mini screwdrivers & pliers, and I also keep a peg winder, chamois, extra strings and daily stuff nearby. Also have a truss rod wrench nearby, just in case. A really good lubricant for the tuning heads is Quantum Hot Sauce. It's made for fishing reels, but it also has a sticky additive to keep it from dripping. And last year, I gave my Les Paul (black) a layer of Nu-Finish polymer car polish on the advice of a guy at a Halifax guitar shop ... and oooo-wheee does it shine! The water beads off it in the rain just like the TV commercial depicts (kidding!!!).

wire cutters/needle nose pliers... hand string winder... chamios... string cleaner... truss rod wrench... mm measurement devices... extra saddles and pins.  I keep my strings and electric string winder in a different place because we all share the "tool box" but the boys don't like my strings or winder.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

strings,stringwinder, clean rags,needle nose cutters/plyers. complete chord chart,furniture polish.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

5 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2013-03-16 20:59:37)

I forgot about lubricant, pliers, wire cutters.Also a set of allen wrenches.Also a can of electrical contact cleaner. They`re in there too

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Radius blocks, radius gauges, fret slot files, nut files, various other small files and specialty files, fret wire, fret wire bender, sand paper of various grits, shot bags, fretting hammer, fret removing pliers, small jars of various wood dust (rosewood, ebony and hog) straight edges of various lengths and precession rulers, pencils/graphite, screw drivers, strings, cutters, bridge clamps and various other clamps, glues, rags, hand and finger planes, pliers, painters tape....and few more things that I'm sure I've forgotten....lol   It's a big tool box

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Oh great spent all my money on guitars now I've got to buy tools and a box

Let no talents go unused

Yea Fire art, guitars, boats and rock climbers, there is no end to the money spent.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I think the only thing missing here is the Duct Tape!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

i carry a small box with my spare picks in. i've also got a large box with leads, spare set of strings, duct tape (for covering trailing speaker leads etc) extension leads, FX pedals, mics, mini discs, electrical tape, mini screw drivers and the feet for my mic stand.

i dont carry wire cutters as i never cut the strings short until they've had a day or two to stretch in. i clean and polish when i change a whole set.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.