Topic: danger in washing dishes

i was being a good boy and earning brownie points by washing the dishes after dinner. all of a sudden i felt a sharp pain in my middle finger. when i looked i had a shard of glass sticking out of my finger and when i pulled it out the blood squirted everywhere,
(i seem to have quite a bit of it)

my wife panicked a little and stuck a bandage on it to stop me getting blood everywhere.

and so i came to check my emails and peruse chordie, as is my want. so as an hour had passed i took off the bandage to find the bleeding had stopped. so i picked up my guitar and just as i got a good riff going i noticed the blood all over the strings! so as i'm gigging on saturday i thought i'd better stop and give the cut time to heal, as i wont be able to play with a sticking plaster on, and no one wants to see a guitarist bleeding all over the stage? do they?

we've all done it so let's hear your stories

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: danger in washing dishes

All I GOT TO SAY IS COVER IT WITH SUPER GLUE!!!

NO kidding! it works. if the cut has stopped bleeding clean up with alcohol and put light layers of the stuff on it.   Hey if its good enough for SRV and FLEA (Red hot chilie pepers) Then its good for me.  I always keep it around the garage and in my tool bag on the bike.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I've never injured myself.

Unless you count so many facial cuts that I can't remember how I got the scars, and I couldn't recall how many times I had dislocated or broken my shoulders after the orthopedic surgeon gasped at my x-rays, and it's easier to identify the digits I haven't broken than the ones I have.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

http://www.stage-photography.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/sex_pistols_sid_vicious_usa_1978.jpg

I dunno, man.  I'd pay to see some people bleed on stage.

Try some superglue if it doesn't heal up quickly.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Super glue is the cure all. That or use alternate fingerings.

6 (edited by bluejeep 2013-03-21 23:23:45)

Beamer got it right, super glue works great for cuts and cracks on fingers.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Superglue or stitches. You pick

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Paper plates!!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

9 (edited by beamer 2013-03-22 00:26:54)

VISIT TO ER: $$$$$ and they put "DERMABOND" ON AND CHARGE $$$ (Dermabond=Super glue)
VISIT TO ANY OTHER STORE :  FREE
DOUBBLE PACK SUPER GLUE:  $3.00 +/-

ABLE TO PLAY GUITAR : PRICELESS

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

I've done the same thing Phil. Washing the inside of a small glass and the thing fell apart. Sliced me length wise on one of my fingers. Nothing major and I didn't play at that time either. So yes there is danger in washing dishes. I say try plastic cups.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

We have these machines over here in the Colonies where you stack the dirty dishes, cups, saucers, plates, glasses, goblets, etc (pretty much any utensil made for cooking or eating). You add a bit of soap, push a button or 2 - about an hour later you get reasonably clean dishes! It's magical!

ETA - Heal Quickly!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

zguitar wrote:

I've done the same thing Phil. Washing the inside of a small glass and the thing fell apart. Sliced me length wise on one of my fingers. Nothing major and I didn't play at that time either. So yes there is danger in washing dishes. I say try plastic cups.

I did the same thing maybe 30 years ago. Had my hand in the glass so tight the glass burst open and sliced the back of my hand wide open.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

yeah... We watch the likes of CSI and all the others solving "crimes" finding blood specks in the corner of the living room or other inconspicous locations.  Heck they otta come to my place.  THERE'S BLOOD EVERYWHERE!  We have a maxim here -- no work's been done unless there's blood.

Dishes, bread cutting, wine opening... anything with rigid tools is a possibility.
Get typed and donate just in case wink

Cheers!
Jim

topdown wrote:

We have these machines over here in the Colonies where you stack the dirty dishes, cups, saucers, plates, glasses, goblets, etc (pretty much any utensil made for cooking or eating). You add a bit of soap, push a button or 2 - about an hour later you get reasonably clean dishes! It's magical!

ETA - Heal Quickly!

One time I accidentally stabbed my hand with a knife unloading the dishwasher. Blood splattered all over the dishes. So I put more soap in. Closed it up and washed the load all over again before the blood could dry.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:
topdown wrote:

ETA - Heal Quickly!

One time I accidentally stabbed my hand with a knife unloading the dishwasher. Blood splattered all over the dishes. So I put more soap in. Closed it up and washed the load all over again before the blood could dry.

Blood Bath!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

yeah Top, my wife has one of those "dishwashing" thingies....it's called Phill tongue

I actually thought about superglue but I wasn't sure if it might cause blood poisoning? but if you guys have survived it then it must be OK...?

superglue is also good for strengthening nails if you're finger picking! I sliced a couple of nails last week while cutting the Sunday joint, dab of glue and wallah...I cut my middle finger, so it cant be rested like your pinky might.

Superglue is poisonous.  So is wine.  Others have survived.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I never wash glasses, I drink right from the bottle! ;0)
Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Phill Williams wrote:

cutting the Sunday joint, .

????? I know this isn't what I think it is but I have to ask you to explain please.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

And Phil,  you have the right to say " I can neither confim nor denigh" LOLOLOL THats why I dont cut or use paper. LOLOLOLOL lol lol

the strongest drug i have ever taken is paracetamol, therefore the "Sunday joint" was just that, a nice piece of British beef (as opposed to European horse meat) a big thing in the UK at the moment

whitewater55 wrote:

I never wash glasses, I drink right from the bottle! ;0)
Randy

That is a Perk for single people!

Didn't Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) used to wear metal thimbles on his fretting hand? It probably wouldn't be wise to use these in conjunction with Super Glue ... just a thought.

the reason why toni used thimbles was that he cut the tops of those fingers off while he was working a press before the sabbath days

i saw a documentary about it last year, but i'm not sure they were thimbles, maybe plastic?

Now that's a cool piece of info I'd never heard before, Phill ... thanks!

It's inspiring to learn how artists have overcome personal adversity to rise to the top of their profession. A Nova Scotian bluegrass/folk  guitarist named Moe Brown lost a finger on his fretting hand years ago (ring finger, if I recall) and subsequently reinvented his playing style. He was already very good before the accident, and most would say he's even better now. Ian Anderson's deformed pinky on his right hand also comes to mind, which he's said made learning the flute challenging.