Topic: How to buy a guitar

Hey guys,

We are two students from Sweden and are about to do a research for our final dissertation. We are in need of information about how you would buy a guitar, would be great if you could help us.

In more detail our questions are
- where and when do you collect information about the guitar?
- do you seek additional advise? If so, where and from whom?
- where do you ultimately buy the guitar? why?

Many thanks for your help :-)

Re: How to buy a guitar

When I am ready to purchase a new guitar, I do all the research I can on the internet.  I check all the music stores and forums like this to get opinions.  When I think I'm ready, I research for up to a year or more and start narrowing down to one brand, then zero in on a couple I like and keep researching.  That is half the fun.  I know this don't help a lot, but do a lot of research in as many places as you can.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

3 (edited by floydlong 2013-03-23 17:41:13)

After much research and opinions, I go out and find all the guitars on my list. I play each one several times over a period of a few months. The "right" one will always "speak" to you. Something about the tone, the feel of the neck, and the touch that will always let you know "I'm the one."
Now I would purchase a beater guitar on the spot if it sounded good, had good playability, and the neck looked OK .....oh, and if the price was right.

Make music,

Russell

For me I first set a max price that I want to spend. Then I go to 2 or 3 guitar stores and play around with some guitars in my price range. I remember the ones I like and then research them on line. I'll also look for those same models used somewhere, ebay, craigslist, etc. Eventually I'll go back in and play the ones I've narrowed it down to. I'll make my pick and try to find it at the cheapest price available. This whole process takes months and months.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

All good posts above,I also buy from where I am at so I know the guitar is the one I want as you may buy the same model online and it may sound and feel different.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

floydlong wrote:

After much research and opinions, I go out and find all the guitars on my list. I play each one several times over a period of a few months. The "right" one will always "speak" to you. Something about the tone, the feel of the neck, and the touch that will always let you know "I'm the one."
Now I would purchase a beater guitar on the spot if it sounded good, had good playability, and the neck looked OK .....oh, and if the price was right.

Make music,

Russell

My 59 Gibson was calling me. I went in to buy a telecaster and kept going back to it. It wouldn`t stop calling until I bought it. The downside is that I still don`t have a telecaster. If you are new to buying a guitar, bring someone with knowledge. Do your research too. Especially if you are buying from craigslist.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Thank you so much for all your answers, it helps us a lot to get to know more about how to purchase a guitar.
We have a few more questions just to make sure we understand it right,

@bensonp: After you have done your research, are you playing the guitar in stores? And where would you normally buy it in the end?

@floydlong: When you have found "the one", would you buy exactly that guitar, or would you buy the same model somewhere else?

@zguitar: Your post seems pretty clear, so unfortunately we don't have many more questions for you ;-). We guess after months of research online and playing in the stores, you try to find the guitar for a cheap price and buy it either online or in a store?!

@dino48: Before you buy the guitar, where would you do most of your research and opinion gathering?

@joeyjoeyjoey: Where would you normally do your research? After you had seen your 59 Gibson, did you still do research? Where and why?

Thanks again for your help!!

I always try to play the guitar in stores, but living in a small town does not always work.  I have purchases my last two guitars on line, something most people don't like to do, but I had my heart set on a certain Martin model and that was the only way.  I probably wouldn't do this if it were another brand, but I know Martins are quality.  You just have to know for sure that what you are buying is what you want.  And they do have a 30-60 day return policy if you just don't bond with it.  In my case I was happy both times. It's not for the faint of heart.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

On the web,they show you custmer ratings and opinions,then I go try them out.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

@ dino48: If we understand correctly you do the initial search online to narrow down your choice and then after you found some guitars you like you try them out in a phyiscal store. Where do you ultimately buy the guitar? why?

thanks for your answer smile

I'm with Dino - and I'll answer the end question, I'll buy the guitar at a local owned guitar shop if they have it (and the one they have is "speaking to me" as others have said).  Why?  Because I prefer to support the local owned businesses, not the big box stores, plus they tend to treat me better there (it's a personal shopping experience, they set up the guitar for free upon purchase, they remember who I am when I come in to pick it up, etc).

As for one other q you asked, do I get advise from others... Yes, why right here on the Chordie forums is my favorite place to go for advise.  Look around the forums and you'll see lots of it, and many answers to your questions via conversations you can view that have gone on in the past as well.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

12 (edited by jgreen 2013-03-25 00:22:05)

In more detail our questions are
- where and when do you collect information about the guitar?
     I do the research on a specific guitar online when I find something interesting and I think I am ready to buy.
     I am drawn to guitars we don't see in my area - something a little different usually.  We are too remote and the local players only seem to go for things they recognize...

- do you seek additional advise? If so, where and from whom?
     I play a bit with an ex-luthier type and ask his opinion if he is available.  I converse with potential sellers too but with a bit of caution on what they say.  I also visit the maker's web site for specs and any comments from other owners or demonstrating artists.  When considering an ebay seller, their ebay reputation is pretty important too.

- where do you ultimately buy the guitar? why?
     Looking for something a bit out of the ordinary leaves me with ebay and buy and sell sites.  Both purchases from ebay sellers have been great.  One from Goodwill.com... not so good - kind of turned out to be a donation but at least it was a worthy cause.
     My last buy was from a friend of a friend.  It's a very neat piece but is 8 months in the "hospital" with no certain prognosis so we shall see.  This one is a very good name in guitars - coveted for years.  My buddy had a look at it for me and says he can make it like new so if it is repairable it should work out well.

Hope this helps,
Jim

research2013 wrote:

@ dino48: If we understand correctly you do the initial search online to narrow down your choice and then after you found some guitars you like you try them out in a phyiscal store. Where do you ultimately buy the guitar? why?

thanks for your answer smile

Feels,sounds,right price is in my range= That is why I buy!

Yes, one spoke to me and I bought it. I went into the local guitar store looking for the Seagull Maritime solid wood series because I had heard only good reviews. I played it twice over a period of a month. The third time I picked it up was with a sales receipt. Yes, it told me it was the one. I have never bought a guitar unseen or unplayed. I'm not saying I wouldn't but that time hasn't come yet. Never say never!

Make music,

Russell

Thanks again for you answers, you all helped us a lot.

We just have one more thing we are curious about. Floydlong, you brought up an interesting topic, what would you guys say to a statement like - every guitar is unique - ?

Does this uniqueness or standardisation of musical instruments influence your purchasing process?

for my-self, i can only say that if i like the sound of a guitar played by someone else then i might go try it out. then it's down to how it feels in my hands. the last two guitars i bought were just like that, once i picked them up i knew i would buy them. it's like when you know you've met your soul mate, love at first sight? who knows?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thanks again for you answers, you all helped us a lot.

We just have one more thing we are curious about. Floydlong, you brought up an interesting topic, what would you guys say to a statement like - every guitar is unique - ?

Does this uniqueness or standardisation of musical instruments influence your purchasing process?

Floydlong responds:

Yes, I believe every guitar is alone in its finish, tone, and playability. I forgot to mention that when I'm searching I always ask someone else to play the guitar and I sit in front and then walk around listening. It's amazing how those things sound so different when you are facing the hole. I'm not saying I could pick a guitar from its tone if I were blindfolded, but I do hear the different sounds that each guitar makes. Unique....well, rather I would say that each guitar has "individual properties", because, after all, it's just a wooden box with a hole in it.
This thread could go on and on but I think everyone has said about the same thing.

Russell

The only thing Ill tack on is this:  I think a great player can make any guitar sound great.  I know that if I play a guitar  and then hand it  to a better palyer, he makes it sound totally different. Toneality i may be similar, but "how it sounds" is always different to me.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

For me it depends upon price point. If I'm buying el cheapo or a traveler, I just go in, play guitars in my price point, and pull the trigger. If I'm looking for a vintage or higher end instrument (as I am currently), I trust my favorite local guitar tech (who also techs for some well known national acts). He will (once I'm ready) go with me, look at an instrument and give it his blessing prior to my wasting thousands of dollars on a crapbox.

This video will answer many questions. Kinda like what it feels like to me.....'cept for the free part.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iHxOego2Sso

I wonder if Research 2013 is still around... 

Re: your last question:
I suspect each guitar has a unique sound, my ear just isn't that discerning.  Having said that mine all have a different voice but they are decidedly different guitars.  For sure they all have their own feel - different neck, different angles of attack. 

For me I look for a guitar that will call me every time I walk by - thus the desire for "something different" fortunately my seemingly random web buys all feel great to me.

good luck with the project.

Jim

Hey everybody,

yeah, we are still around smile
We are really happy about your posts and the answers you gave to our questions- actually everything we need for our dissertation is coverd smile

Thanks again for all your help!
If you have further questions to us, please don't hesitate to contact us!

Have a great day guys!