Topic: Reaper

On Jerome's recommendation I tried Reaper but I could not find any way to import a track that had been recorded by a friend of mine so I went back to Audacity.

Is it me? Have I missed something? Or will Reaper not allow the importation of an external wave file?

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: Reaper

I had a problem with it also I tried it and deleted it the same day that's why I went with getting my new Tascam smile

Roger Guppy wrote:

On Jerome's recommendation I tried Reaper but I could not find any way to import a track that had been recorded by a friend of mine so I went back to Audacity.

Is it me? Have I missed something? Or will Reaper not allow the importation of an external wave file?

Roger

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Reaper is very track focused.  If you were looking under the file menu, all of those options are dedicated to the files created from your project.     There are a number of ways to import external audio, though.  The easiest is to just drag the audio file from your computer into the Reaper track panel.  Reaper will create a new track for you and insert the audio.    You can also use the Import->Media File menu.  Or the media explorer.   smile

I know you guys are comfortable with Audacity, but it is a toy, and I mean that in the nicest possible way.   There is nothing it can do that Reaper can't, and there are about a thousand things Reaper can do that it can't, and it does everything better.   Reaper is a professional audio tool on par with ProTools.   It is more complex than Audacity simply because it does way more that Audacity.   Russ, for someone doing the quality of work you are doing, I honestly believe it is holding you back.    Even if you don't like Reaper, there are literally dozens of better options out there.  Logic, CubeBase, Cakewalk....  They can all do live VST, native MIDI sequencing, non-destructive punch-in/out, everything that you would expect in a professional workstation is out there.   From a feature and quality standpoint, Audacity is at the bottom of the list in almost every way.   You have exceeded the level of your tools, man!  Upgrade!  The learning curve isn't that steep, but it is well worth it when you're done.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I found it confusing to use also.  Like I told him in the past, maybe we should have a skype tutorial on it.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I'd still be happy to do that, although I think I might use Google Hangout or WebEX.  In fact, I'll set something up this week, seeing as how I got nuthin better to do.  big_smile

Jerome I respect your comments and opinions I am open minded when it comes to music production and I for one would like to see a few tutorials who knows I may decide to give Reaper another shot right now I am really engrossed in my Tascam DP 24 the only thing I would need a DAW program is to transfer the wav files to and render them for my videos all the mixing is done in my Tascam but as I said I will keep an open mind on this thanks again for the input smile

jerome.oneil wrote:

I'd still be happy to do that, although I think I might use Google Hangout or WebEX.  In fact, I'll set something up this week, seeing as how I got nuthin better to do.  big_smile

Thanks Guys for the input and, Jerome, as I still have it on my laptop and I will give it another look.

Roger

All I have to do is reload reaper also.  Personal request, seeing as how I work nights, when your doing the lessons, is it possible to record them like a yt vid?  Ill be out playing on my bike all this weekend also.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

beamer wrote:

All I have to do is reload reaper also.  Personal request, seeing as how I work nights, when your doing the lessons, is it possible to record them like a yt vid?  Ill be out playing on my bike all this weekend also.

Of course.  In fact, since I'm gloriously unemployed at the moment, I can stay up late and use you as my guinea pig.  big_smile

What hours do you work?

me dumb what is yt vid?

Russell_Harding wrote:

me dumb what is yt vid?

YouTube video smile

.................but I bet you already figured it out!

Roger

Roger actually I didn't give a thought been tired the last few days figuring out my Tascam I did get to speak with a Tascam tech guy regarding the card I am going to use and was relieved to find out the SanDisk Extreme class 10 32GB is ok to use this will save me over $70.00 there is a reason I am using such a high capacity and fast card it seems the faster you can transfer data the cleaner it will be(makes sense) I will keep working on my new song and put the guitar tracks on today that leaves only the vocals and mixing. but I did learn something today I know now what a yt video is lol

hi rog, having read your post i thought i'd give reaper a try, i've had it on my PC for a while, but couldn't do anything with it. so i tried it again as i've now become more conversant with my USB interface (scarlett) and found that there is a few choices when you start it up the first time. i know that input 1&2 are for mics, 3&4 are audio sources and there are others for midi etc. these will be different for other interfaces.

so go to the start menu

click reaper which should give you a drop down

go to "show audio config"

then set bit rate, audio ins and outs etc

this is what i did and i had no problem getting a track in from my MD.

hope this helps, if i can clarify for you give us a call

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

OK.  I've set up a Reaper focused group on Google+ that will allow anyone interested in Reaper to join.  It should make setting up the video sessions on using Reaper a whole lot easier to manage, as I can just communicate the schedules to the group as a whole.

Anyone interested the link is here...

https://plus.google.com/communities/117 … 3953876761

Once you're signed in and joined, I'll approve the thing and then start setting up the sessions.   I'll also create a separate thread with this information in it in case people not interested in our collective genius are interested.  smile

15 (edited by beamer 2014-07-26 00:46:00)

I just found after all this time some great vids on REAPER
this is the first and its for us who know nothing.  Jerome worked hard to get us all educated but I was not able to join back then due to my sked.  So this is the next best thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdO2YvzKLm0

a different one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlJlP8x … dO2YvzKLm0

AND ONE THAT SHOULD COVER IT ALL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdx8Fx … 6Ksf4QiZFA

I installed the 32bit on my win 7 which is 64bit my question is can reaper only open wav files? there is no option for importing wmv or mp3 formats I am unable to open folders containing songs I stored it seems the only option is "open project"

I figured it out I clicked the insert tab and was able to load my song and render it to a wav file, I did install the 64bit but it did not install correct on several attempts so I went with the 32 bit and bookmarked a PDF file on the reaper directory. I have over 60 songs mixed in folders and I want to work on the mixes so i am looking to find some freeware plugins vst for reaper its a lot easier to use after watching the tutorials kind of cool thanks for the links everyone

Those are good videos.  The difference between the 64 bit and 32 bit are negligible.   Internally, Reaper treats all audio as 64 bit, so the only gain is if you're running 64 bit VST plugins.  And even then, only if you're running a lot of them.

Reaper's internal file format is WAV (AIFF is an option on Macs) and that is what you'll want to use as it's lossless.  When you start running audio through equalizers and other effects, those "unhearable" frequencies that MP3 removes become relevant.  You can render to pretty much anything, though.   If you want to render to MP3, you'll need to install LAME, as that is what Reaper uses to convert.

http://lame.sourceforge.net/

Oh yeah, there is actually a sticky thread in this forum on "Free Software" with some links to good stuff.

I've installed Reaper also..... really early in this section.  Back in the Genesis chapter of the recording forum Russell & I played around with a few different pieces of software to see what would work or not.  If memory serves, our criteria was to come up with something that was easy to use for those that were not too tech savvy, and it had to be free..... I did mention FREE!

We always knew that there were better tools out there and assumed that as folks got comfortable with recording and sharing their music, a natural migration to better tools would happen.  Software has evolved, there is better training available (especially via youtube), and there is still Audacity out there for starting with.

So whatever flavor of software you prefer, keep it up!  Several sections of Chordie are better for having this one..... So I would like to take this opportunity to aknowledge and thank Russell Harding for coming up with the idea and taking it to fruition.

Thanks Russ!

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

I've installed Reaper also..... really early in this section.  Back in the Genesis chapter of the recording forum Russell & I played around with a few different pieces of software to see what would work or not.  If memory serves, our criteria was to come up with something that was easy to use for those that were not too tech savvy, and it had to be free..... I did mention FREE!

We always knew that there were better tools out there and assumed that as folks got comfortable with recording and sharing their music, a natural migration to better tools would happen.  Software has evolved, there is better training available (especially via youtube), and there is still Audacity out there for starting with.

So whatever flavor of software you prefer, keep it up!  Several sections of Chordie are better for having this one..... So I would like to take this opportunity to aknowledge and thank Russell Harding for coming up with the idea and taking it to fruition.

Thanks Russ!

Doug

Thank you Doug we both had something to do with it and I also believe the recording forum and theory forum have both been benificial so a big attaboy to Jerome too