Topic: Rainsong Guitars - Any good?

Hi all,

First of all, I just wanted to commend the Chordie Community. I have yet to find another guitar-oriented site with such a wonderful, varied and helpful group of people. I've learned a lot on Chordie thanks to your expertise and helpful forum topics. So a big "thank you" to all you chordies with special mention of course for the great team of Admins and Forum Moderators.

Now then, I'm a big fan of acoustic guitars and recently I've been looking to expand my collection. I've come across several brands that seem interesting such as Breedloves, l'Arrivee, etc... as well as the classics (Gibson, Guild, Taylor, Martin...).

I came across Rainsong Guitars on the net which seemed rather original, but unfortunately I can't find a single dealer where I live (Montreal, Canada) that carries them. I plan on taking a trip to the States soon, so I'll definitely find a store where I can try them out, but I was hoping that some of you had already tried them and could give me your impressions. Generally, I prefer solid wood bodies for my acoustic because I like the "natural acoustic sound" but Rainsongs have a graphite body and people seem to be raving about them on reviews. I've tried Ovations (several models) which also have a composite body, and while I find them nice to play, I'm not a big fan of the sound that they give.

So my questions : How do you guys/girls find Rainsong Guitars? And where can I find one in Montreal?

J.

Re: Rainsong Guitars - Any good?

WOW!  I had not heard of these insturments before reading your post.  Googled up the company at http://www.rainsong.com/ and am very intrigued.

As a cyclist I am familiar with carbon fiber frames and components used in bicycles - it is truly mind-boggling stuff.  Its incredible strength seems to be way out of line with its mass.  Carbon-fiber bikes are amazingly strong and light.

Wood is a convenient building material only because it grows on trees.  But it suffers from many problems regarding uniformity, moisture, temperature, etc. 

Building an instrument from a stable, strong, and inert material like carbon fiber makes great sense - hooray for Rainsong!  I hope this innovative company is successful in marketing this pioneering application of carbon fiber.

Glad to see that a luthier has finally entered the 21st century.  Will they also be making ukuleles, violins, clarinets, oboes, bassoons, etc.?  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Interesting, very interesting. Makes sense that a solid grafite or carbon fiber body would not be affected by humidity. Might be a great campfire guitar?

.....Badeye.

one caper after another

I play a Martin "Alteritive X" model that is almost all composite. I love it and would never trade off to anything else..(for now).  I've tried a few rainsong guitars and liked tham a bit, but not enough to buy one. I share your dislike for Ovation, mainly because they sound great through an amp, but crappy without.
I do believe that composites are the future, what with traditional tone woods becoming endangered. What needs to change is the "ego's of the elite". All the old timers who belive that woods are the only TRUE path to tone.

Sorry, soapbox moment....I'll shut up now.

Thank you for your responses.

Badeye makes a good point. The composite body should essentially be great for climates with extremely varying temperatures & humidity. Over here we get -30c in the winter and +30c in the summer. This is death for guitars if you don't take the proper precautions. I bought a brand new beautiful Guild last October and already had a couple of cracks by December, which I had to get repaired sad. So a Rainsong would be practical in that sense.

But I find 2500$ a bit much to spend on a "campfire" guitar. For that purpose, I was thinking more along the lines of a Taylor Big Baby or something similar. However, at the moment I'm looking for a quality guitar that I can perform on stage with. I'm more partial to Taylors ( 710 / 715ce / GA7 ) and Martins (D-28) at the moment, but I've been discovering new brands during my searches and I thought I'd seek some advice on Chordie. So if you guys and girls have any other brands that you'd recommend, please feel free to do so smile.

Also, I was surprised to see some of you commenting on how composite materials are the future. While I agree, don't any of you feel some kind of sadness at the thought of our beautiful wood guitars being replaced by these new composite models? Maybe I'm just old-fashioned =P...

No - I'm not one for instrument worship . . . if it sounds good, it is good.  I don't care what the brand name or material might be.  If a 'new' material can be utilized to make a better mousetrap then I'm not going to get all sobby about the old mousetraps.

A musical instrument is simply a tool that enables the user to make air vibrate.  If a better sound can be obtained from a different material, then use the different material.

Nobody writes with fountain pens anymore because they are hard to use and messy.  They did however produced a distinctive 'look' that some people might appreciate.  Nonetheless, what was actually written with the fountain pen is far more important than the tool used to make the writing.

My guess is that carbon fiber instruments (and ceramics, and new alloys, etc) will offer tremendous advantages for instrument builders and players.  Give it enough time and somebody will eventually be mourning the passing beauty of the 'old carbon-fiber guitars'.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Lol, good point James. Hard to argue with it.

Funny thing: I like using fountain pens.

I guess I AM old-fashioned.

Hi All,
Can some of you enlighten me on this please?

I have a Greysflex Fly fishing Rod, Which I love!  Light as a feather  to use,  carry and handle!

Now is this post telling me there are "GUITARS" Being made from the same Material?
or have i totally Left the planet?

Thank you
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

" Oh the times they are a changing " Bob Dylan was right , but I think solid wood is the way. Maybe thats just the carpenter in me!

....Badeye.

one caper after another

Hi Badeye. the times are sure a changing!
I cannot beieve i may belt out a better tune on my flyfishing rod, which i mght add was bought in Boston Mass, on my last visit!  Much more inexpensive then here! I have a habit of changeing the Economics  of NEW england when visiting?.
Got a late text tonight to go out with the Girletts, which i just  had to do!  Home early as we head off early morning "SOUTH OF THE TENSION Line, as i call it! For some H R T ?.
Better known in these parts as " Husband Replacement Therapy" Hehe.. No apoligies for spelling at this time of night! My only wish! "is that all you clever musical people could join us" What a blast!"  Maybe Chordie at some stage will decide to do this?.
As you said on your earlier post, " you were off work, "Enjoy Enyoy, Life goes by in the blink of an eye"
Dia Linn { GOD TO YOU } AND YOUR TREASURE OF NEARLY 24 YEARS.. NOW "HOW LUCKY ARE YOU"
"YOUR A DARLIN AS WE SAY IN THESE  PARTS OF THIS GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL WORLD WE INHABIT."

SL� N
OLD DOLL.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thank's Old Doll, Your wisdom is well taken, I can tell you had a good nite with the girlettes, you gotta have fun eh, Life is too short to worry and stress. Hey shit happens.It all comes out in the wash.I love to have a good time with good friends.Its what life is all about.

Take Care. ........ Badeye.

one caper after another

I love composite acoustics!!  They are totally composite guitars and in my opinion sound better than rainsong.!!

I have seen these guitars although I don't recall the make. I am now very curiouse to check one out. The whole concept seems like a great idea. Seems to be the guitar to have for a lugging around instument. I imagine that they must be very durrable

what a long strange trip it's been

I own two rainsongs. First I acquired a jumbo 12 string and liked it so much that I also ordered  a six string. I really like both of them. I already have larrivee, martin, epiphone, gibson, blueridge, and sea gull.  in my stable of guitars.
     My 12 string rainsong was the first guitar that I have ever purchased without being able to see and play it in person. I made sure that the supplier accepted returns becaue we are talking about a $2,300.00 instrument. When it came I was blown away. I had to have a six string version as well.
     Because the composite material is so strong, the guitars do not need bracing around the body. Bracing also dampens the sound board on wooden guitars. This is why rainsongs are loud. They are impervious to temperature changes and humidity. I really like these guitars unplugged, but plugged into my California blonde II amp, they sound incredable.
     When playing gigs, I usually take both rainsongs and one of my wood guitars. Tone on the rainsong is variable with the baggs electronic system. Of course it never gets as warm as my wood guitars, but it still has a great range of tone. I have found that I am not playing my 12 string sea gull, but I pick up both of my rain songs daily.
     There are a number of rainsong models that are 1/2 the price of my jumbos. I gambled for the first time on buying guitars online without being able to try them out, see, or hear one in person. I won this time around. I may thin out my collection at some point, but my rainsongs are here to stay. They will go to my daughter as family heirlooms.
                                                                                Faris Harton

Hey guys, how about spending just under $700 and getting a composite Emerald X5? It really is the ultimate travel guitar. And more. It can be your main guitar, its just so neat.

In the past few months we've taken ours to the UK, Germany, France and Portugal. Its a real beauty. We've tried a lot of the others and really weren't impressed, without being nasty, we traipsed around the Music Messe in Frankfurt in March and were disappointed.

Check out the X5 Life at www.emeraldlife.com and the full size guitars are at www.emeraldguitars.com

Composite guitars rock, and you'll go a long way before you find a guitar as playable, stable and beautiful as an Emerald. They are handmade and are very affordable investments, but most importantly, they become your best friends. Beside a campfire, riding a wave or whatever you dig... you can do it with an Emerald!

Thank you for your replies, everyone.

I think the only thing left to do is try one (when I can get my hands on it...).

I'll take a look at those Emeralds. Already, at a first glance, I'm intrigued. Thanks for the links, clareaustin.

give us an update when you decide, and enjoy whichever one you go for smile

I own a Rainsong WS1000 and have owned an Emerald X5.  I loved the X5 but decided I didn't need it after I ordered my Rainsong.

The Rainsong is a fabulous guitar with a very unique sound.  As a new poster, I need to tell you folks that I am a huge Taylor fan.  I own a 710 Brazilian and a custon 314. So I love solid wood guitars. 

The Rainsong is the ultimate gigging guitar in my opinion.  It will withstand great temp and humidity changes and it stays in tune forever.  I don't think I would have it as my only acoustic, but you really could.  It also is a great looking guitar.  It is a little pricey, but if you look hard, I think you could beat the normal street price.  I did have to wait about 3 months after I ordered mine, but my dealer had just taken on the line and didn't have any in stock.

Mark

mrj, I am a guitar lover and was able to build a nice collection during the years.
I don't have a Taylor, a Collings, a Breedlove, but I do have a Gibson hummingbird, a Dove, a SJ-200 Montana gold and a bunch of Martin's like HD-28 and the D-45V. Gibson dreadnoughts are very good, but I prefer the SJ-200, deep warm sound, and on the other hand, one of the best is my HD-28, blowing away all other dreadnoughts, and very nice sound.
I visited the rainsong website, I was desperately looking on youtube and myspace to HEAR someone playing a "rainsong" I did find a lot of rainsongs, but all LED ZEPPELIN.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hey Doc,

The best example I could find on youtube was this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4NYWVbDcKg

I stumbled on this video, looking for Dave Matthews songs as I'm a big fan.

The singer is playing a Rainsong in this video... Seems to have a nice sound. Very loud guitar. Plus they look very nice.

Just hearing about your collection of gems makes me incredibly envious tongue. I'm sure a Rainsong wouldn't look too bad next to all those lol.

Bonne Journee a vous!

J.

Mr Jay

Cheers for that link, that was a great song and very well played.

Is it a cover? i have never heard it before.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

glad you enjoyed it UYK,

It's actually a cover of the song "Satellite" by Dave Matthews. If you're interested, you should check out his album "Live at Luther College" with Tim Reynolds. It's a great acoustic set.

Here's a good video from one of their concerts just as an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS1fnGQ62jg