Topic: chorus line

Can someone tell me the difference between a guitar rhythm line and the chorus line? How would the chorus line be constructed?

Re: chorus line

Rhythm refers to a guitar part. A chorus is a part of a song form...part of the structure of the song itself.

3 (edited by dannylake 2013-05-25 20:32:09)

Thanks Balddude,but what I'm referring to is a lead chord progression between the intro and bridge-bridge and outtro . Sometimes much more complicated than a simple 1,4,5. I think it might also be called chord harmonization? Or harmonizing a lead?

danny every song has a progression or arrangement there is no specific name for the chord progression after the intro or after the bridge its just an arrangement I have heard it referred to as the head or the top of the song it dose not mean 1 4 5 necessarily it can be any progression harmonized or not the song as a whole is the arrangement. 

dannylake wrote:

Thanks Balddude,but what I'm referring to is a lead chord progression between the intro and bridge-bridge and outtro . Sometimes much more complicated than a simple 1,4,5. I think it might also be called chord harmonization? Or harmonizing a lead?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Danny:  An example might help.  Do you have a specific song that contains an example of what you are asking?

Don't post lyrics or chords, but links are acceptable.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Copyright laws are a headache but it is acceptable to post a couple of lines, so you could quote the song with the start and finish lines.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Ok,let me see. Use to be so easy, giving my heart away. I think Gary Moore was a great artist. I've   still got the blues   about his passing.

Is this it?  http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/g/gary_ … es_crd.htm

If so, someone better than me can tell you about the construction of the song.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Thank you anyway Astronomikal. I know it's not an easy song but I appreciate Your input.

Thank you too Russell. I guess someone would write a chord progression that follows the song melody since you don't want to play the same thing as your rhythm player, correct?

yes danny this is called chord voicing the same thing a choir dose most of the chords are altered to allow the leading tone to dominate which gives the effect of a melody smile

dannylake wrote:

Thank you too Russell. I guess someone would write a chord progression that follows the song melody since you don't want to play the same thing as your rhythm player, correct?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

A couple of other options:  You could play harmonized intervals along with the melody line, or (maybe the same thing Russell said), you could play the same chords as the rhythm player, only in different voicings.

A good example of the latter:  Most people know the chords to Hotel California (the verse) are:  Bm - F# - A - E - G - D - Em - F#.  However, the rhythm guitar player (Glen Frey) normally capos on 2 and plays the progression a step down:  Am - E - G - D - F - C - Dm - E.  He does this while the lead player(s) noodle around on variations of the original voicings.  This just gives a fuller sound to the song.

Astronomikal wrote:

A couple of other options:  You could play harmonized intervals along with the melody line, or (maybe the same thing Russell said), you could play the same chords as the rhythm player, only in different voicings.

A good example of the latter:  Most people know the chords to Hotel California (the verse) are:  Bm - F# - A - E - G - D - Em - F#.  However, the rhythm guitar player (Glen Frey) normally capos on 2 and plays the progression a step down:  Am - E - G - D - F - C - Dm - E.  He does this while the lead player(s) noodle around on variations of the original voicings.  This just gives a fuller sound to the song.

Those are the same chords both times. Chord shapes and chords aren't the same thing...still not sure what he's asking....?

Baldguitardude wrote:

Those are the same chords both times.
Chord shapes and chords aren't the same thing
...still not sure what he's asking....?

I know.
I know.
neither am I.

I wasn't trying to imply that Frey was harmonizing, only that he was using different voicing.  Best I could do with the available information.

This subject makes me think of old movies with ladies dancing in a line on stage.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman