Topic: Percussion, heavy bass emphasis, and blown strings

I've been playing around with much more percussive strumming lately.  Topdown calls it a "chop".  I like that characterization.  Anyway, in addition, I've also been really pounding the snot out of bass notes trying to keep a steady bass line.  It's working to get what I want.  We had some dancers at my last campfire session, which was really cool.  Best complement I could get was that I was keeping a steady enough bass line and tempo for people to dance. 

Anyway, with this percussivenes and bass emphasis, I'm blowing out a lot of strings lately.  I'm doing it on both my Guild and my Breedlove.  I play .012 (they call it medium light I think) Elixir nanowebs on the Guild and Ernie Ball Earthwood mediums (.013) on the Breedlove. 

So, to reduce the cost of $13 or $7 every time a string goes poink, is there anything I can do?  It's not always the same strings, so I don't think there are any burrs on the guitars themselves.  Or is buying strings in bulk going to be the cost of the style of music I am learning to play?  If so, I may need to rethink the Elixirs.  Would lighter strings help?  I think I'd give up volume if I did that.  The Breedlove is an OM size, so I like the booming volume of .013s on it. 

Suggestions, considerations, recommendations, and sarcastic nonsense welcomed.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Percussion, heavy bass emphasis, and blown strings

You must really be chopping bud.  Buy strings in great bulk my man.  Sounds like you are going to need them.  The only other thing is trying all the different brands over time.  Maybe some will break less.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Four options options:
1. Deal with it.
2. Play a tad lighter.
3. Heavier strings.
4. Lighter picks.

I do a lot of heavy right hand stuff and I never break strings, so you must really be knocking 'em. The reason I dont hit them harder is when you hit a string too hard the note starts sharp. So you have to be careful to not overdo it. wink

Pick size will affect the way u attack the bass string. With a heavy pick you can use a lighter, easier pluck on the strings. Kind sounds to me that you are "plucking" way too hard.

NELA

John Pearse stings - cheap, sound great, last almost as long as elixers and I don't think I've ever snapped one. And you know how I love to beat on my guitar! That said, I do use a pretty light pick (like BGD and NELA suggest). My go to is a Dunlop Nylon .67 mm - orange

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I've been "chopping" since I first learned to play. I thought it was cool and gives a little more feel. I have never broken a string doing it tho and I run 11's on all my 'tars.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!