Topic: stinken B chord

Is it even possible that i can ever get that stinken B chord or should just smash my guiTtars now

Let no talents go unused

Re: stinken B chord

Here is a short video of two of my young students two weeks after being shown the dreaded 'B' chord. OK it is the shortened version of the chord but is quite sufficient for most songs and as you can see they are only playing one beat of the chord and have to get it clean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8bBTq6nyK4

Take your time and work on it daily, you will be able to get there.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Fire art  wrote:

Is it even possible that i can ever get that stinken B chord or should just smash my guiTtars now

that and the F are hard it took me alot of practice but after some time I got them down,its well worth the time. Rogers shortened version is good though.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

The key IMO is dropping your shoulder and pulling your arm in to the chord, not trying to squeeze it out. smile gl.

Baldguitardude wrote:

The key IMO is dropping your shoulder and pulling your arm in to the chord, not trying to squeeze it out. smile gl.

O thanks with out changing fingering it made a huge difference thanks i knew their had to be a technique

Let no talents go unused

6 (edited by beamer 2013-06-07 03:20:17)

I just use my 1 and 3/4 fingers (play the root 5th,,, so much easier!)   your 1 on second fret A string and your 3 on the 4th fret D string and your 4 on the 4th fret  on the G.  use tip of your index finger to mute the low E. look here in J guitar
http://www.jguitar.com/chordsearch?chordsearch=b5  or with out the 5th http://www.jguitar.com/chordsearch?chordsearch=b

I just let my index cover the whole 2nd fret with the tip still muting the E flatten 3rd finger across the rest. I dont ever miss that im muting the higher strings, in essence its still playing like its a 5th.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I just bar the 2nd fret with my 1st and use my pinky instead of my 3rd finger on the 4th fret I do this for all B shaped bar chords its easier on the hand or just play a Bar F 1st fret position on the 7th fret if your progression is in the middle of the neck smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

I just bar the 2nd fret with my 1st and use my pinky instead of my 3rd finger on the 4th fret

I saw an interview with Angus Young (AC/DC) who said that because his hands are so small, he does the same thing you describe above for A-shape open chords and most of his power chords.  So you're in good company.

Topdown's motto is:  "If it sounds good, it is good."

I'm thinking about adopting this as my motto:  "If you need a chord, you can find a way to play it."

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Baldguitardude wrote:

I've read where you've given this advice a few times before, but I'm apparently slow, because I don't follow what you are saying.  Maybe we need to hook up on Skype or something so that I can see what you're talking about.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

I broke the ring finger on my left hand a few years ago so the top joint won't bend like it used to. I can't get the pad of that finger to stop the three strings (34 and 5) like I used to. I had to relearn it. It's to useful a chord not to be able to use it!

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

Roger Guppy wrote:

Here is a short video of two of my young students two weeks after being shown the dreaded 'B' chord. OK it is the shortened version of the chord but is quite sufficient for most songs and as you can see they are only playing one beat of the chord and have to get it clean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8bBTq6nyK4

Take your time and work on it daily, you will be able to get there.

Roger

That's the B I use and it sounds fine

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

It is a really painful chord to learn but it is a must that you do. A good song to practice it is Catch My Disease by Ben Lee. All throughout in the verses the chord progression is B | C#m | E | F#| In the chorus it is the same chords except each bar uses 2 chords. So the chorus goes as follows B C#m | E F#|
All the best