Topic: silk and steel

I had Silk and steel  strings put on my Ovation 12er.  They are lights.  I have not had time to really get used to them, but they seem to loose a bit of the richness of copper.  So next time Ill give a heavier set a try.

I may get used to them.   I only change the strings on it once a year, So I am going to have to LOLOL lol

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: silk and steel

I use Martin silk n steel exclusively on my acoustic electric Hohner but they are not lights the low E is.047 up to the high E which is.0115 they usually last a month or less if I am using it on gigs I wipe them down after each use to keep them sounding nice longer smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I change strings frequently and experiment a lot as I feel that different acoustics will respond differently to the same string because of different tone woods and construction methods. I tried silk and steels on my Martin and Blueridge but didn't like the sound.  Maybe a different brand would have sounded better (don't remember which brand I tried - Martins?)  After trying lots of different strings I currently prefer Martin Traditionals on my Ibanez (Nashville-hi-tuned), Martin SP Lifespan .012-.054 on my Recording King ROS-16, Dean Markley "Alchemy" phosphor-bronze .011-.052 on my Blueridge BR-73 and GHS "Doyle Dykes Signature" phosphor-bronze .0115 - .054 on my Martin 000-16SRGT.   The GHS strings sound a little too bright at first but then settle out and sound so good on my Martin that instead of changing bi-monthly as I usually do, I keep them on for 5-6 months.

Good luck finding the strings that suit your Ovation and your ear Scott.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I used to use them all the time. They are the best. The reason I stopped is because they changed the packaging. 2 strings in one bag doesen`t do it for me.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

I used to use them all the time. They are the best. The reason I stopped is because they changed the packaging. 2 strings in one bag doesen`t do it for me.

That never bothered  me, one thin and one thick, no prob.  For the 12 I just ordered the strings from Musicians friend and took them to the shop.  Im growing into the sound, but I think next I need to go to a Medium set.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Two strings in one bag is no hassle when I change strings I take them all off and polish the guitar then I just take the 1st bag with the low E and G and put it in with the peg and leave them to the side I repeat this till all the strings are set in the holes then the rest is easy just start with the low E measure cut and wind repeat till all strings are strung then tune. smile

it's easier still to identify strings as the ones i buy have colour coded bullet ends. i also take off all the strings clean/polish etc before re-stringing. i thought everyone did that?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I rarely clean and polish.

I don't like removing all the strings. I remove and replace two at a time. It keeps the tension fairly constant. You'll get away with removing all the strings most of the time. Maybe only one time in a hundred it ruins your neck/ fret board. I don't want to chance it!

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

I have had my Hohner electric acoustic for over 10 years and the neck has never given me any problems by removing all the strings but to each his own what works for me may not for someone else smile

My 70's Melody 12er (as with every guitar I own or have ever owned) regularly has all the strings removed to clean and to oil the fretboard. Every guitar that is brought in the shop I work at for restringing also and I have never had a problem. It is just not possible to clean a guitar and nourish the fretboard properly without removing all the strings.

My take on it is that if a guitar is not constructed well enough to have all the strings removed it is only fit for the rubbish bin.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I remove one string at a time. I treat that part of the fretboard while the string is removed.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I removed all the strings on my Hohner Bass a couple of years ago. It did "spring" and took quite a while to sort out again.  I suppose it depends how hard the truss rod is actually working. As Newton said"For every force there is an opposite and equal force " when the strings are removed, the force from the truss rod has to go somewhere. If your neck is strong and stable enough, no harm will be done. But there's always a first time for everything?

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

All the strings for me.  I do it like Russell.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.