1 (edited by dino48 2013-07-09 00:57:53)

Topic: neck surfaces

I have been playing my strat a little more these days,I like the smooth surface on the neck but I like the wood surface on my Yamaha and Takamine necks.( they are both acoustic.). what are your choices?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Re: neck surfaces

i like the slippery neck on my telecaster, it's maple and slightly convex. similar shape to the strat,but that was(is) rosewood, so it's soft and i dont find it as slippery. i also dont like gibson necks as they are very flat and wide, they look great, but not for me.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Love my SG neck (epi) its rose wook. the AXL strat is rosewood also.  slimmer neck,  I dont think I have palyed a Mapel neck since 84.  but I didnt mind it.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I have maple, rosewood, and an ebony. Don't really notice too much of a difference, to be honest. I find fret width and neck cut, and string relief are a lot more important to feel than the type of wood. I don't like the width of my SG but I prefer the neck gauge of a Gibson for string bending and whatnot so I deal with it. smile

I agree with BGD above, however I found this some time ago. It works, and all my guitar necks have now been treated this way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxGz6IZ9BFI

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Totally trying that. I love my tung oiled guitar. This should emulate that.

Roger Guppy wrote:

I agree with BGD above, however I found this some time ago. It works, and all my guitar necks have now been treated this way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxGz6IZ9BFI

Roger

I have watched this  a long time ago. I just cant bring myself to do this to my beautiful finishes.  I know it would be quicker, buttttt if I ever absolutely needed to sell one then how do you get them to not tell you you ruined the finish?

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

My personal fear with this keys on his statement, "Make sure you only remove a micron of the finish." If I were to remove the finish totally - even in a few areas - the wood would now be open to absorbing moisture, skin oils, etc. I can't imagine this would be good over the long term. A less intrusive way to speed up the neck is to simply spray a small bit of water-based Armour-All on a soft chamois, and give the neck a rub occasionally. This will speed it up without altering it.

9 (edited by shaaneson 2013-12-30 09:40:27)

Don't really notice too much of a difference, to be honest. I find fret width and neck cut, and string relief are a lot more important to feel than the type of wood

leather bomber jacket - leather jackets info    [url=http://www.leather-jackets.info]leather bomber jacket - leather jackets info[/url]