Topic: Then the alternate bass, which is?

Hi everybody...
   I was wondering, when playing alternate bass, what should be played on the sixth string on a 5-string chord? On a C, I know its supposed to be a G (note) on the alternate part. But that is the only one I know for sure.
   When I play a 'Am' for example, after I do the A bass note, then the higher strings, (E,C,A, at once) then what do I play on the (low) E string for the alt. part? And the other 4 or 5 string (basic) chords?
  I hope this post makes sense!

"Milk is best drank out of a blue plastic cup."
"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7

Re: Then the alternate bass, which is?

Spike20 wrote:

Hi everybody...
   I was wondering, when playing alternate bass, what should be played on the sixth string on a 5-string chord? On a C, I know its supposed to be a G (note) on the alternate part. But that is the only one I know for sure.
   When I play a 'Am' for example, after I do the A bass note, then the higher strings, (E,C,A, at once) then what do I play on the (low) E string for the alt. part? And the other 4 or 5 string (basic) chords?
  I hope this post makes sense!

most songs with alternating bass notes generally switch between the 5th and 4th of the chord but it varies its up to the individual guitarist smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Well you've got some choices to make depending on the chord. For instance, on that C chord, you can move your finger over to the low E third fret and play the G. Or you can alter your fingering and hold down both the C and G the whole time. But easier than that, you can plat the 4th string note as your alternating bass on five string open chords.All three of the E, A, and D strings are considered bass strings.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Okay, I'll try it out. Thanks!

"Milk is best drank out of a blue plastic cup."
"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7