Topic: Timing

I'm not a very competent guitar player but thoroughly enjoy it and am slowly improving.  However, I do struggle at times trying to sort out the timing (3/4, 4/4 etc).  Would it be possible for contributors to add a footnote to that effect?  It would certainly help the likes of me.

Re: Timing

I know someone can answer this better then me, so I think you most likely would help yourself now by hearing the song and playing with it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi Marty and welcome to the forum,

Surely you know that Chordie is a search engine and none of the song (apart from the Members originals in the Songwriting section) are hosted here, therefore the contributors are not able to make amendments.

That being said the majority of songs are 4/4 so listen to the song you want to learn and count the beat, 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4, and if you find it is sounding odd, going out of sync, then try 1,2,3,1,2,3, one should fit. If you get really stuck then post a link to the song and ask for help here, someone is sure to let you know.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

MArty2b - welcome to chordie. When trying to understand the timing of a song I find it is better to listen to the base notes to get the "beat" of the song. Strumming along with the song will help but you can also find the timing by tapping your fingers on a table your foot on the floor. There are many strum patterns that could be used and finding the right one will be "trial and error". (not as difficult as it sounds). As Roger said in his reply you can try 1,2,3, 1,2,3 for 3/4 timing or 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 for 4/4 timing. Keep in mind that when you are counting the "beats" of a song you will count all numbers as downstrums. This patterns would / could work for MANY songs but not all. If the song you are trying to play is a "blues" song the pattern could be a 1,&,2.&.3,&,4,&,1,&,2,&,3,&,4,&. With this pattern you would strum down on all the numbers and strum up for all the &'s. Other common patterns are 1,2,&,3,&4,&,1,2,&,3,&4,&...
Again there are many strum patterns out there and the same pattern can be used for slow songs, fast songs or anything in between. This is a process that you have to learn and understand for yourself but is as simple as practice. When you are listening to a song be it at home or while driving back and forth to school or work you can practice "strumming" to a song. Just give it some time and practice.

NELA