1 (edited by debrap 2013-09-27 13:03:20)

Topic: Loar LO-16 ?

Hi folks..  does anyone here have a Loar guitar..  and if so, how do you like it?  Was at a concert a while back and the opening act was Justin Townes Earle and I do believe this is the guitar he was playing..   sounded good.  Did a little research on them and they're relatively inexpensive..  just looking for an opinion from someone who has one..  thanks.

Re: Loar LO-16 ?

My local brick and mortar store, Dirt Cheep Music, sells The Loar guitars. They are nice albeit pricey. They are built by The Music Link, the same company that produces Recording King guitars. Both lines are high-quality and worth a look.
dj

It's amazing how great some of these smaller bodied guitars can sound. Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull plays a really small parlour-style guitar, but it has great tone and projects very well.

According to one of my favorite stores, Picker's Supply in Fredericksburg, the story I got on them is that Recording King purchased or licensed the designs for turn of the century arch tops from Gibson.  Or maybe it was Martin.  Pretty sure it was Gibson.  Anyway, I don't have my facts down very well, but the point is that they aren't a new design, but a tried and true classic design.  They're more of something being in production again than they are a reproduction if that makes any sense. 

I got my hands on several models at Picker's Supply and loved the tone and ease of play on them.  If I were a little more flush, I'd have bought one on the spot. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

According to one of my favorite stores, Picker's Supply in Fredericksburg, the story I got on them is that Recording King purchased or licensed the designs for turn of the century arch tops from Gibson.  Or maybe it was Martin.  Pretty sure it was Gibson.  Anyway, I don't have my facts down very well, but the point is that they aren't a new design, but a tried and true classic design.  They're more of something being in production again than they are a reproduction if that makes any sense. 

I got my hands on several models at Picker's Supply and loved the tone and ease of play on them.  If I were a little more flush, I'd have bought one on the spot. 

- Zurf

They're Martin clones.  My ROS-16 is a copy of a 1903 Martin 000 slothead.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Interesting stuff..  I did a bit of research after seeing Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons..  he was playing a Loar LO 16.  I really like the smaller body guitars..  and this one, really sounded great.  When I checked it out on the net..  it appears a guy named Lloyd Loar worked for Gibson back in 1919 -1924.  He was a luthier and made primarily mandolins..  if you go to the Loar website there are a few artists that use these..  the model I'm referring to - Loar Lo 16 is actually affordable at $399 new.  I've seen them as low as $250 on ebay. 
Of course, the last thing I need is yet another guitar..   just can't help the GAS.

Dirty Ed wrote:
Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

They're Martin clones.  My ROS-16 is a copy of a 1903 Martin 000 slothead.

DE

I think Zurf was referring to The Loar arch tops being copies of Gibsons. Yes, the RK ROS series guitars are copies of Martins.
Dj