1 (edited by James Bergeron 2013-10-09 07:16:45)

Topic: Hello all

I am not new to playing guitar i learned from my father but i also learn to play by ear. i never had formal lessons but find most songs easy to play. the problem i am having is in writing songs i take only one music appreciation class in high school over 20 years ago. any suggestion are welcome on how to start writing again.

i play a 6 string electric tmx, a 6 string acoustic  and a 12 string Ibanez acoustic

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-10-09 11:17:06)

Re: Hello all

Hi James ... welcome to Chordie!

Here's a website for song writers that has lots of useful info ... hope you find it as helpful as I have.

http://www.songwritingfever.com/songwritingtips/

Welcome to Chordie.  I am also frustrated in songwriting.  I can write a white paper or a set of procedures easily enough.  If you need corporate policies, I'm your man.  But write a song?  Forget it.  Good luck.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Welcome James.  I wish I would get off my bottom and try and write songs.  I was a great poem writer in my younger days, but have never tried to write a song.  I think I'm afraid to.  My problem is not the lyrics but the melody.  I am always afraid that it will sound like another song.  There are so many out there.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

thanks all and i know how all of you feel  because it been so long that i have been away from even playing my guitars that my fingers still hurt  every night i play  but the doctors told me that if i do not take it easy and pick back up a hobby i like i will be back in a wheel chair soon

I do not write either or sing but I can play the guitar and a little piano. Welcome too chordie James

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

thank you dino 48

James, Im basically self taught in my guitar (and it shows cause after 30 yrs most kids play better than I LOLOL)  I just start by writing what hits me.  To be honest its usually angry stuff and I write to get it out.  how ever I write some fun stuff and sentamental things also.

As to how, let it flow naturally, start humming and then the chords put them selves where they need to be.  Some times I can not get the chords,  That is when I come here and ask one or two of teh guys for help.  Ill ask for a certain sound/mood and say minor or major.  If I knew Theory I would be so better off.  To quote Sean Connery's character in Finding Forester "The only way to write is,, to write."  so I do. even if it sucks, i have scraps of stuff that I save and sometimes I jigsaw 5 yrs of scraps together.  They take me in directions I dont expect.
Hope in some way this helps.

Oh and welcome to a great site!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

thanks beamer  and i will have to try that but it not easy i seen so much blood and gore in the military and also on the road as a trucker stopping to help others who where hurt across the country that i really don't know what to write about. because there is a lot of anger and regret and hurt i seen and felt over the years. and here where i grew up i always had to fight because i was an outsider that is what pushed me to become an Air Rescue Swimmer  For the U.S. Navy

Welcome to Chordie!

Hi James, welcome to Chordie! Not a writer myself either, but some great advice here already!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

James Bergeron wrote:

thanks beamer  and i will have to try that but it not easy i seen so much blood and gore in the military and also on the road as a trucker stopping to help others who where hurt across the country that i really don't know what to write about. because there is a lot of anger and regret and hurt i seen and felt over the years. and here where i grew up i always had to fight because i was an outsider that is what pushed me to become an Air Rescue Swimmer  For the U.S. Navy

Randy Travis had a hit with a song about a bus wreck.  "Four Wooden Crosses"  Pick someone who sticks in your mind and give him or her a back story.  Maybe he had a fight with his wife and was angrily driving recklessly.  His anger vanished when he saw what it brought him to.  There's a song in that.  Or a teenager on her way to a date and was too excited and had a wreck.  There's a song in that.  Or change some of the facts of things you've seen in the military and play the "what if" game.  There's probably a million songs in that.  John McCutcheon had a hit about a real WWI story, titled "Christmas in the Trenches." 

I'm sure you've got a million stories knocking around in your head. 

Good luck.  I hope you get pencil to paper.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

thanks jets60  i will use what you said and try my best