Topic: Memorized!

Hey everybody...
What songs do you-all like play from memory?
I like Wildwood Flower, Swallowtail Jig, and Hurt. (Johnny Cash's version)

"Milk is best drank out of a blue plastic cup."
"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7

Re: Memorized!

I have always had a problem with memorizing lyrics and chords.  I have the music in front of me when I paly and sing through a whole song.  Technology has made this a lot easier with phones and IPADS, so I always have the music with me.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I can sing and play about 4 hours of songs without repeating, on a gig night I usually do around 3 hours, it's nice to rotate my set and have options for different audiences. I cant say I have favorites to play, to listen to, yes, but I play to the audience not my self.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Over the years (50+) singing in various bands it would be over a thousand give or take a few but dont ask me to list them lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Like Phil and Russell I could probably play songs for a few hours just from memory, as I've always had a knack for remembering lyrics I've heard.  I've got over two hours worth of songs I play that I've written, but I've found that it's harder for me to remember the words to my own songs because I haven't spent much time listening to them.  Occasionally if I'm going to be playing somewhere I'll listen to my own CDs for a day or two before I play and it helps me remember the words.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

im a slave to sheets of paper.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

im a slave to sheets of paper.

Like wise, i have trouble remembering lyrics from one day to the next!  Music and chords I'm fine, so if someone else is doing the singing, I'm sorted.

Chordie is great for when Im on the spot needing the words.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Most of the 60's songs from my youth and many of the songs I regularly play with my students I have no problem with, but I have difficulty remembering new ones even though I eat plenty of fish. (My mum, God rest her soul, always told me that fish is brain food smile ). So I too am a slave to sheets of paper.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Just a few. The Cape, Forever and Ever Amen, One Morning In May, a Jimmy Buffett song I don't remember the title to, Distantlt In Love, Grandma's Featherbed, Wreck of the Old 97, maybe a few others if I'm pressed. Mostly I like having my sheets.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I like my sheet music too.  I do have a few songs I can play without the sheets in front of me, but I usually have to look at them quick to remind myself before I just start going at it.  Killing me softly is one.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

11 (edited by Fire art 2013-11-20 14:07:22)

I'm lucky to remember where my fingers are

Let no talents go unused

Fire art  wrote:

I'm lucky to remember where my fingers are

http://www.ehlconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/bigstock-Like-Thumb-Up-Symbol-28450430-300x252.jpg

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I might have a couple dozen songs at most that I can sing & play from memory, and most of them would be Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, or Jethro Tull. One of my favorites is "Life's Been Good to Me" by Joe Walsh. Outside of these, I also need paper ... especially to sing & play at the same time.

Thanks ya'all! That's neat that a lot of you can play for several hours at a time! I like my sheet music all the way too. I'm really not good at writing music or placing chords to tunes I know. And those that do, like my brother, music teachers and a lot of you guys, amaze me!

"Milk is best drank out of a blue plastic cup."
"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7

I  have the  memory  capacity  of  an aging  goldfish  so  I  need it  written in  big  print  so  I  can see it  with  my  aging  eyes ,Any  one  got   braille  song  sheets ,I  might  need  them soon !!!!!

Grah1 wrote:

I  have the  memory  capacity  of  an aging  goldfish  so  I  need it  written in  big  print  so  I  can see it  with  my  aging  eyes ,Any  one  got   braille  song  sheets ,I  might  need  them soon !!!!!

Chordie Braiile version hahahaha. Now theres a novel concept! CAN"T SEE IT catching on tho (pun intended)

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

17 (edited by dino48 2013-11-24 01:20:26)

I can remember Don't worry, Be Happy and happy birthday!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

From my experience playing at The Bus, I've noticed that Toney - the headline act - plays hundreds of songs and uses a songbook. Most of the folks who sit in in on the jams do not use a songbook, but play the same handful of songs week in and week out. There is nothing wrong with either approach. I've been asked to play at impromptu events enough to recognize that I need to have 5 or 10 "go to" songs I can do without a song a book. I've got 2 or 3 pretty well down now and am working on expanding the list. The songbook is a crutch and I feel very uncomfortable playing without it, even though I might have played the same tune hundreds of times.

I know the words and can sing along to thousands of songs on the radio - That's a whole lot different than being on stage with just you, a mike and a guitar though. All of a sudden you can think of nothing but all of the eyes and ears waiting for you to start!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!