Topic: A question of tied notes...

Hi,
  I was taught to play tied notes with a down-up-down-up pick motion. I can play them much better just picking down, but I was wondering, is there some reason that down-up is "better'? Should I be practicing doing them down-up way?

"Milk is best drank out of a blue plastic cup."
"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7

Re: A question of tied notes...

I have been playing guitar and involved in music for 55 years and I have never heard of a 'tied note'! Rope and music do not go together in my mind (well, not in a way that can be discussed here) lol.

I am looking forward to discovering what this is.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Standard technique for all notes, tied or not, is alternate picking (down up down up). However, I think Todown's first rule of music applies. If it sounds good, it is good.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

By tied notes I mean like in written music where sometimes more than one 8th notes together have 1 bar connecting them, and 16th notes have two bars. They're "tied". I hope that makes sense!

"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7

Thanks. Now I understand I have never heard that expression before, maybe it is an American idiom. In the UK it would be a quaver (1/8th note), a semi quaver (1/16th note,) a demi semi quaver (1/32nd note), a hemi demi semi quaver (a1'64th note)......... heck this is getting ridiculous lol

I am with Zurf, on the same string, the fastest and smoothest way to play short notes is with an up and down action.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Spike, I understood what you meant, Roger's explanation is confusing.  So yes, there must be a major difference between US and UK explanations.  LOL!  I can read music and plunk it out on a piano, but haven't learned the fretboard yet.  I don't pick out notes, so I really can't help you.  sad  Strumming chords, now that I can do.  I don't think it would matter much though, just whatever is easiest for you.  If you're picking out notes I think they'd sound the same up or down.  Maybe it's just a theory because it's easier to keep a rhythm if you're going up and down.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

If you're new and learning, force yourself to use alternating pick. It will pay big dividends down the road by increasing your speed, control, and smoothness of licks. But it's not the be all end all of guitar playing.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

if two notes are tied you play the notes one time and hold them for the duration of both as a single tone to put it another way 2 tied 1/4 notes are played as a half note plucking it once, if a descending or acceding group of notes  or mixed notes of equal value are tied this is considered a "Phrase" with no breaks or rests each note is picked once.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

9 (edited by beamer 2013-12-02 22:14:30)

Russell has it once again! thanks man, I dont know anything about reading music. LOLOL

But as to alternate picking, yes its a very good thing to learn, an here I must add,,and this may not apply to you,,,, but,, HOWEVER,,,, manicale downstrokes  are great for punk rock! Johnny Ramone used nothing but down strokes. That takes some stanima I can tellyou that, I play two Ramones songs with out alternate strumming and my wrist is ready to drop!LOLOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Spike, your definition of tied was not correct....Russell's is. You're referring to 8th, 16th, or 32nd notes in succession where they are barred across the top or bottom of the stem, ie the example here:

http://www.guitarworld.com/files/imce-images/B.jpg

The answer to your question is that it depends upon phrasing. If I'm playing triplets I'll play duddudduddud. If I'm playing metal (which FYI has not happened since 1992) I will play all down strokes. If I'm playing reggae I will play all up strokes. You should become familiar with alternate picking, one direction picking (up and down) and also google hybrid picking to really blow your mind. smile

Okay, yeah. "Tied" isn't right, I am referring to the 8th, 16th, and 32nd notes in succession as you said. Thanks for the correction!
Thanks to you-all to for the advise. smile