Topic: Re the holes in Blackburn Lancashire

On Phill Williams posts  he  has  a  reference  to the  holes in Blackburn

I actually  come from Blackburn and  I  do  have  a  funny and  totally  true  story about a  hole .

Back  in the  late  60s  a  friend  of  mine  had a  Norton Dominator motorcycle .One day   not  looking  where  he  was  going  he  rode it  into  a  large hole  in the  ground .Looking  up  from the  hole  at the  bewildered  council worker who  had  been leaning on his  shovel as the  accident  happened  he  said "Give me  a  hand  to  get  it  out  mate" .The  council worker  replied ."You were clever enough to get  the  bugger  in there your self  ,lets  see  if  your  clever  enough  to  get  it  out ."

Re: Re the holes in Blackburn Lancashire

ah council workers, they're still no better.

amen corner had a song on their (i think) first LP about "(someone) the jobsworth" who kept telling people "it's more than my jobs worth" which is a cop out of course. i've known a few sadly.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Well, how many holes are there, really?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Cant  say  really  but  at  the  time we  always thought   Lennon couldn't count  . lol I  would  think that by now  there  all  filled  but I'll be  up  there  in a couple  of  weeks  so I'll  try  and  do  a  quick audit smile

There were 4000 holes in the song. I think I would have punched that workers lights out for not helping me out of the hole.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

It was  entirely Trevs  fault  he  used to  ride  like  a  lunatic  .He  wasn't  wired up  right I  remember  one  time  he  stripped  a bike  down in his mothers living room , granted  he  covered  the  carpet  with plastic  but  he  then  drained  the  oil out which ran over  the  edges .We all  had  a good  laugh at his  Dad  dragging  the  bike out  of  the door and  Trev trying to drag it  back in. Honestly you  couldn't  invent  a  story  like  this even if  you  wanted  to .

If I had a Norton I would have been inclined too do some crazy things they were a great bike do they still make them?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Oh yeah.  Norton is still pumping out the bikes.  And they're still basically the same bike, but now they have inverted suspensions and hydraulic valve lifters.

They still look awesome, though (if cafe bikes are your thing, and they're my thing.)

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

Oh yeah.  Norton is still pumping out the bikes.  And they're still basically the same bike, but now they have inverted suspensions and hydraulic valve lifters.

They still look awesome, though (if cafe bikes are your thing, and they're my thing.)

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/

Jerome that is a great looking bike,I always liked the Nortons and The Triumph brands they handled better then all the other bikes when I used too ride and looked better. I had a Triumph 650 Bonneville in the 70's and the Japanese bikes could go faster but would not handle the curves like the English bikes. Nortons were faster but I could not afford one. They used too call them snorton Norton's.

I  had  a  commando  850  for  a  while and  later  a  triumph trident  t150 v the commando  was  nice  but  the  trident   out performed it  in every  way.

The Nortons have alway been a better bike but they cost more then the triumph,or they did in the seventies.

I always liked the looks of Triumphs.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

It may sound strange, but I learned to play guitar because of a Norton motorcycle.  Back in the early 70's my best friend at work rode a Norton.  We had hired in on the same day in '69 and we hit it off immediately, partly because he said I reminded him of his younger brother who was in the Marine Corps.  A couple years later his brother was home on leave, borrowed Lonnie's Norton and was killed in a wreck.  A month or so later he asked me to stop by his house.  He pulled out an old acoustic (I don't remember the brand, I think it might have been German made) that had belonged to his brother, handed it to me and told me to learn to play it. I never really knew all the reasons why, but it seemed important to him so I took it home.  After a few weeks of sore fingers and learning a few chords I bought a used Fender Newporter for myself and returned his brother's old beater guitar back to him. We would get together occasionally and pick a few songs like he used to do with his brother. Maybe that was why he wanted me to learn to play - I don't know.

If it hadn't been for that wrecked Norton and trying to honor the request of a friend, I may have never learned to play and would have missed out on countless hours of enjoyment.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

What about the hybrid Triton?

the chordie geordie

Thats a cool story DE

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I agree that was an intersting read.

both sad and interesting de they say all things happen for a reason .

18 (edited by Phill Williams 2014-01-14 20:00:25)

i had a Honda 50.... and that used to scare me to death, i much prefer 4 wheels.

according to Lennon there were 400 holes, but thanks to our Conservative government that has multiplied exponentially. the only growth industry in the UK. that and unemployment.

sorry i meant 4000 holes...(old age catching up)

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I wish I could write a song as poignant and absurd as DE's life stories.  One moment he's telling us about an alcohol fueled trip through class 92 whitewater that Evel Kneivel and Chris Blane took one look at and passed by, then the next it's something as heartwarming and touching as reflection upon the rewards of honoring the wishes of a grieving friend.  You're an odd duck Dirty Ed, and I say that with the utmost respect and affection for odd ducks.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

I wish I could write a song as poignant and absurd as DE's life stories.  One moment he's telling us about an alcohol fueled trip through class 92 whitewater that Evel Kneivel and Chris Blane took one look at and passed by, then the next it's something as heartwarming and touching as reflection upon the rewards of honoring the wishes of a grieving friend.  You're an odd duck Dirty Ed, and I say that with the utmost respect and affection for odd ducks.

Being an odd duck is not all it's quacked up to be. wink

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I have nothing to add about holes or motorbikes, but I enjoyed the stories, Grah and DE!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Grah sorry I did not mean too hijack your post with bringing up motorcycle talk.

23 (edited by Grah1 2014-01-17 20:44:40)

no  worries  dino  the thing about  a  post  like  this  is  it jogs  peoples  memory's  and  grows  into  a  work of  art.
I  love  motorcycles ,my  wife  hates  them ,but  I  love  her  more  than any  motorcycle .

Zurf wrote:

I always liked the looks of Triumphs.

Um Yea me too~ LOLOL~

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q71/1471389_10202644564254566_1592922202_n.jpg

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Thats a great looking bike,I like the older ones looks better.