Topic: Disappointing First Encounter

One of my favorite guitars of all time has been a Gibson L4 CES:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri … ogany.aspx

I had never played one, but imagined how sweet it would feel and sound. Well, I was into a place yesterday, and behold the gentleman had one sitting in a case in the corner of his office. I saw the Gibson archtop case first, and asked him what was in it (thinking and hoping it might be an ES-175). When he opened it I gasped, and of course asked if I could play it for a moment. I'll admit I had that sensation like I was in the presence of royalty. I plugged it into a little Fender Blues Jr. amp he had there, and thought I was going to have an incredible experience.

I was never so disappointed in my life! Allowing that his strings felt a bit used, the thing just sounded flat. It no ring or sustain, the tone was thin, and it just didn't "feel" right. These puppies sell for about $7,000 so I thought it should reflect that .... nope. There's a $1,000 Gretsch in a local music store that plays and sounds a lot better. It's a weird feeling to have an ongoing adoration like this crushed, almost like betrayal. There was nothing wrong with his setup, it was just that the guitar wasn't anywhere close to living up to everything I'd heard they were.

Ever had an experience like this?

Re: Disappointing First Encounter

I had a similar experience on Match.com lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Harley Davidson 1340 heritage soft tail  big  disappointment

My first and second wives!

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

bluejeep wrote:

all three of mine lol

Russell_Harding wrote:
bluejeep wrote:

all three of mine lol

I can relate too both of you!!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Sorry to expose old wounds with this post, guys! I didn't envision a topic about over-blown guitar hype as a segway to relationship troubles (LOL).

All's well ... I hope! smile

Tenement Funster wrote:

Sorry to expose old wounds with this post, guys! I didn't envision a topic about over-blown guitar hype as a segway to relationship troubles (LOL).

All's well ... I hope! smile

yep that's why I can joke about it lol

Grah1 wrote:

Harley Davidson 1340 heritage soft tail  big  disappointment

DATS WHY YOU BUY A TRIUMPH INSTEAD. lol

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)