Topic: Capo Transposition Chart

Can someone send me or refer  me to a site where I can print a 'Capo Transposition Chart' that include the flats and is accurate.  I am a novice player (guitar) and do not have a musical background (at all) and when I found one, I thought I'd hit pay dirt, but when I took it to a Jam session they said it was not correct.   Thanks,  Marlene (mgibb@shaw.ca) smile

Re: Capo Transposition Chart

What are you doing with it? Using it to transpose the song or play the song in the same key as written but with different chord shapes?

I am wanting to change the key I do the song in rather than redo the song with different chords.  So, for example, if the song is in C where to put the capo to sing it in D?

I'd rather not have to rewrite the song with the different chords....am I making any sense here smile

You don't need a capo trasposition chart for that as long as you want to play the same chord shapes. You just need to know the number of steps between keys. Going between C and D, for example, is two half steps, so you put your capo on the 2nd fret (two half steps up) and play the C chord shape.

Here is the complete scale, so, as Joe pointed out, if you know the chords in 'C' but want the song in 'D' you go up two frets. If you want it in 'E' you go up four frets. I hope this helps.

G# or Ab
G
F# or Gb
F
E
D# or Eb
D
C# or Db
C
B
A# or Bb
A

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

7 (edited by bluejeep 2014-03-13 00:22:18)

Amy put a sticky with a capo conversion chart in the acoustic section. Maybe that will help you. Oh and by the way Amy, thanks for posting it as a sticky, I use it a lot and its easy to find.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Amy's chart is handy, no thinking involved.

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15164

It can be found here.  I think it's nice to look at sometimes.  When I put my capo on the second fret and someone says, "what key are you playing in?"  I can actually figure it out for them, then if they can play the actual chords while I'm playing different shapes with the capo, it can sound pretty cool.  I always forget I have the chart though.  LOL!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.