Topic: Ouch

Splattered the end of my index finger left hand today,something fell on it, what a mess.
Thinking of tuning the guitar to an open tuning and barring with my middle finger for chords and for a bit embellishment a few sus's with the third finger and pinky. Would appreciate advice on which open tuning might be best. In anticipation and pain. Cheers  Gav.

the chordie geordie

Re: Ouch

Gav I use open g for slide  but if you tune to open e  then the bar chords will be in the normal positions  hope this helps

Thanks Grah1 I'll give that a go. Never tried open E yet. But I do can't always get what you want in open G. Finger end is killing me but the Tak is missing me. Ta.

the chordie geordie

Ugh.  I splattered my ring finger a long while ago and still had to play my bass for some shows.  PAIN!  I hope you heal and find a way to play that isn't so painful.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Cheers Zurf think I may need some of Zguitar's healing music.

the chordie geordie

Get a full length metal splint on the finger - go for an open tuning - use the splint for a slide - become famous - make a lotta money - get groupies - get divorced - lose all the money - finger gets better - can't play slide anymore - no groupies - no longer famous - karma.

NELA

First part sounds great Nela, never tried slide before. Looks like now will be the time to learn.

the chordie geordie

NELA wrote:

Get a full length metal splint on the finger - go for an open tuning - use the splint for a slide - become famous - make a lotta money - get groupies - get divorced - lose all the money - finger gets better - can't play slide anymore - no groupies - no longer famous - karma.

NELA

ya that sounds nice and easy,I should try and do it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Finger still bleeding and very sore. Don't know if slide will go over bandage so will wait a few days before trying to play open turnings. Think it will be a while before finger end can bend.

the chordie geordie

Ouch is right!  Hope it heals up quick!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks Amy. The go to guitar is put away and the cheaper Tak g series is ready to be bled on. But I am quite interested in learning a bit of slide now.

the chordie geordie

12 (edited by beamer 2014-03-25 04:13:49)

tooth pick under the Nut is a good trick to get started, mutes out the strings you are not wanting to play. (George Thorogood mentioned this trick in a article I read a long time ago, I wanted to play Who do you love-bo didly beat!)  slide is tricky,, I still have not gotten the hang of it.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Try anything once. Well maybe not anything.

the chordie geordie

At the risk of knowing a lot more than I really want to know, what do you mean by "splattered?" Curiosity is killing this dude.

BGD at work a newel post 4X4 and six feet long fell over and landed on the end of my index finger. Skin all twisted and torn but no broken bone. Lots of blood and pain. Hence Ouch.

the chordie geordie

Sounds pretty "splattered" and painful to me!

There's always the lap steel alternative if the slide on finger don't work.

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi Doug. I need to get into my local music store to get a slide. That will be on Saturday as it's a good half hour drive. Then I can get started.

the chordie geordie

take  care   what  you  buy there  are  a  lot  of  pricy ones   dunlops  are  about  9 pounds  for  a  glass  one   but  there  are  some  around  4 pounds  just  as  good .Glass  gives  a  warm sound where as  steel is  brighter   .I  tend  to  use  glass  but  always  have  a  steel  one  as well  as  I  dropped and  broke no  less  than 5  last  year !!!!!!!!

Thank Grah1 I will try them out on a guitar in the the store then.

the chordie geordie

GTX ... how's your finger healing? Been thinking of you ...

i dont really know much about slide playing, but i have a piece of tube that i cut from a chrome shower curtain pole! sad am i not?

the alternative is what steve howe of yes uses, which looks like a comb, but isnt obviously, so i suppose you could use any chromed comb like piece of metal, just so long as you can grip it....?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Tenement it is damn sore. Changed the dressing yesterday but before I put the new one on had a go at fretting with it OW!!! Then started my voyage of slide with glass slide Tak in open G and I'm  having fun. There you go Phill no curtain poles.

the chordie geordie

You wouldn't believe it. Dressing off on Saturday The Tak EN 20 back out and not to much pain. Gone and sprained my right wrist on Sunday. What next?

the chordie geordie

i'm not going to state the obvious...ha ha!

i wore a leather strap for a couple of years (on my wrist) when i was getting used to playing for a long time on stage. i dont get much bother with it now...still gigging though.

i find fender necks dont put so much strain on the wrist...

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Don't worry Phill, in between those two I've had an abscess on a tooth but that didn't stop me playing the guitar. So I have had the three, so I've put the lottery on tonight, can't be all bad luck hopefully.

the chordie geordie