Topic: All Solid?

Any recommendations for acoustics in all solid woods (i.e. solid top, back, sides) without going too up-market? Its not always easy to select that option when searching vendor websites.

Re: All Solid?

The Epiphone Masterbilt line is all solid wood and not too expensive. I have a spruce top, mahogany back and sides AJ500E that I'm very happy with. Epiphone doesn't make that model anymore, but they have other guitars in the Masterbilt line. I've also played a variety of Recording King guitars that were all solid wood and below $500. The sound of these guitars is good, and the quality of the build seems above average for the price. They've got a wide selection of guitars in many styles, but it's sometimes hard to find a store that carries the Recording King line; however, their website includes a store locator: http://www.recordingking.com/

3 (edited by naolslager 2014-03-24 23:43:38)

Recording King. All are fine, affordable instruments. Some are all-solid but all are solid top. Don't discount solid-top only models. My dearest friend is a 1979 Yamaha solid top. Unbelievable.
Dj

+1 on the Yamaha. Big bang for your buck.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Some good all-solid guitars at entry-level pricing are the Seagull "Maritime" SWS SG (about $600) or a Simon & Patrick S&P "Woodland" Pro (about $650). I believe SIGMA also makes some all-solid guitars in this price range.

It's easy to focus on specifications over sound. I do it almost every time until I remind myself to consider the sound. I've owned many guitars, some all-solid, some with solid tops, and a few which were all-laminate. I have found outstanding guitars in every category. You never know.

There's always the advice to play the instrument if you can. After a few years of buying and selling and occasionally playing guitars, I can almost always convince myself to consider the sound first.

The good thing is most guitars are fun to play so shopping is a joy.  Good luck.
Dj

thanks for comments. Just got a temporary bee in my bonnet re all-solid but at the end of the day I'd probably buy local where I can try out stuff and let my hands/ears/heart decide. Certainly have been underwhelmed by the sound of some v upmarket all-solids