Re: Fishing Season!!!

bluejeep wrote:

I miss fishing on the Susquehanna river, catching bass and walleye while watching eagles fly overhead. I fished from three mile island to the Chesapeake bay. I just might have to make a trip to Pa. just to go fishin!

Yep. Lots of big walleye below TMI around the York Haven dam.

Unclejoesband - Bass fishing story coming up just for you!  When my sister and I were kids (around 10 and 12) we caught a frog in the stream and my sister decided she wanted to use it for bait back at the lake (dad laughing at us, because it was near to impossible to catch a bass unless you were out in the cooler water).  Stuck the hook through his poor little lip (not the smarted spot to hook a frog), cast out into the lake from the waters edge, and just as it looked like the frog was going to go flying off the hook... BAM!  A BIG OLE Bass jumped up out of the water and GULP... Frog, hook and all.  She was pretty proud that day.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Well, I got my truck hooked up to the boat and ready to go phishing, tomorrow, and a buddy called me. Gotta unhook the boat - going turkey hunting, instead.

Nela

Soooo.... We took that fly fishing class last week, and, well, (wait for it....  WAIT FOR IT.....)

We're both hooked.  smile

We bought rods and a bit of tackle, and then spent the rest of the day throwing line out into the lake (conveniently located in the back yard).   Lost all the woolly buggers (mine in a tree, her's into the aether) and so I ordered up two dozen more on Amazon.  Fortunately the fish were jumping so we switched to a dry fly and managed to have a really good time catching nothing at all.

I'm buying a set of waders tonight and am going to get a bit deeper into the lake.   The Cedar and Green rivers open up at the end of the month, and I can fish them daily if I want.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I have too get some fresh explosives.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I'm getting that urge to go fishing again. Very little chance of actually catching anything around here (except perhaps Weill's disease), but that's not really the point...
I like your style, dino!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Good for you Jerome.

I've found that the discount flies from Cabelas are usually a good value. Academy also has flies at good prices. If your lake has bass, get some leech patterns and tie them on a dropper line under a big foam frog pattern. Cast it along weed edges and retrieve slowly. Don't start the retrieve until the ripples from the cast have dissipated.

When you're ready far advice on canoes or kayaks to fish from, let me know.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks Zurf!

There are bass in the lake, particularly on my side of it.  The woolly buggers usually suffice as a leach pattern, but I'll add something more specific as I grow my collection and figure out what the heck I'm doing.   I don't have a frog pattern, but as there are thousands of frogs around, I'd imagine they're a pretty tasty treat so I should probably get one or three (dozen).   How would I tie that, though?  Tie a new tippet and put the frog on the tag end?  Two tippets on the leader?   Should I weight the leach pattern or just let it sink naturally?

I'm not quite ready for a canoe, but there's been one in my future for a while.  Or a float tube, perhaps. 

I'll probably go out again on Thursday after work.  I'll report in on my failures then.   big_smile

Tie the frog pattern on normally.  Or a big hairy mouse, so long as it floats really well. 

Take a piece of tippet about two feet long, or so.  Tie it to the bend of the frog or mouse's hook.  Tie the other end of that piece of tippet to the woolly bugger.  I like to use a perfection loop knot on the dropper. 

You can use a similar set-up for trout or panfish by downsizing to a grasshopper floater with a prince nymph or hare's ear nymph dropper. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

So, like this, except with a frog a and a bugger?

http://media.midcurrent.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/meck_tandemflies_41.gif

I do it like in the top picture.  I've tried like the way in the bottom picture and got too many tangles.  It's a time honored approach to fishing two nymphs.  I have a hard enough time not tangling one fly, let alone two. 

Good luck and have fun. 

I caught my first green bass on a fly at my conservation club's pond earlier this year.  I've caught a fair number of brown bass, but they're my usual quarry.  It was small for a largemouth, but I took it on a biggish stonefly nymph under a thingamabobber (that's the actual brand name for the 'indicator').   That was a blast. 

If you get to DC area, try and work in an extra day or two and we'll go hit the river.  The Potomac is right here handy, but I prefer the Shenandoah which is an hour and change drive. 

- Zurf

I do end up in your neck of the woods on occasion, so that's a date.   One of the things I really like about the fly rod setup is you can put everything you need to fish in your pocket.    It's so portable!

I haven't caught a fish, literally, in decades.   I think the last time I ever had a live fish was on a spin rod back in '87, just before I went in the Navy.   White River steelhead, just under the Buckley bridge.   

Good times.  smile

Well there ya go Jerome.... steelheadin' with a fly rod!  Used to fish the Alsea and Siletz rivers during the runs on flies.... had a good friend (now dead of old age) that could tie the sweetest mosquito on a #22 hook. Don't laugh like I did the first time he brought a 34" fish home with one of those teeny things.  The man had talent.  Me I spend most of my time un-hooking my ears or shoulder or neck or shirt or just about any vine maple bush within 300 yards!

Good Fishin' y'all;

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Most of the rivers I have easy access to don't open for trout or steelhead until next month, which is good as they run high this time of year and I'll drown.    But that's what I've got my eye on, ultimately.

normtheguitar wrote:

I'm getting that urge to go fishing again. Very little chance of actually catching anything around here (except perhaps Weill's disease), but that's not really the point...
I like your style, dino!

Give it a try its a Blast.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I've heard that you can catch sea bass from a local naturist beach. But you have to be REALLY careful with your backcast...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

jerome.oneil wrote:

Most of the rivers I have easy access to don't open for trout or steelhead until next month, which is good as they run high this time of year and I'll drown.    But that's what I've got my eye on, ultimately.

To be clear, you've got your eye on trout and steelhead fly fishing and not on drowning.  Is that right?

All this talk about fishing has gotten to me, renewed the boat registration and cleaned up the boat (it had become a storage area for junk), put new line on the fishing reels and organized the tackle box. I'm all set to go except I need to buy another guitar to keep on the boat. I'll need to come up with new stories about the "one that got away" to tell the wife and grandchildren (they've heard all the old stories and associated embellishments).

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

bluejeep wrote:

I need to buy another guitar to keep on the boat.

That there is nominated for an award in the "Best original thinking in how to get GAS past the wife" category.