Topic: the object of my desire

i've been a beatles fan since they were first on the radio with "my bonnie" before they got famous! the object of my desire was john lennon's black and white rickenbacker....oooh yeah!

today i walked into a music shop to discover just that in left hand, i wanted it....so i tried it, and hated it! there was another one there in the style of george harrisons semi-acoustic rickenbacker, which i didn't want, but i tried it anyway and loved it. trouble was the selector switch was faulty (they wouldn't have known if i hadn't tried it) so all the pick-ups sounded the same...end of.

the moral here has to be; let your dreams be dreams or be dissapointed.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: the object of my desire

I had the chance too buy one years ago but did not have the cash,wish I would have got a small lone for it,they are worth a lot now and real good guitars.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Ahhh... Kind of like that fantasy that once acted out isn't as good in real life as it was in your head huh?  Um, wait... no, don't read into that.  Or do.  Whatever.  LOL!  Sorry to hear it wasn't quite what you'd dreamed of Phill!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Phill

Should have bought it, you can never have enough guitars ! smile
Jim

PS
I have a shirt that says " go on....buy it..... you can always get another wife "   LOL

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

PS
I have a shirt that says " go on....buy it..... you can always get another wife "   LOL

I've had a couple of wives and own 6 or 8 guitars. Guitars are a hell of a lot cheaper... trust me!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

6 (edited by Artie'splaying 2014-04-23 05:15:39)

topdown wrote:
TIGLJK wrote:

PS

I've had a couple of wives and own 6 or 8 guitars. Guitars are a hell of a lot cheaper... trust me!

Yep, and it doesn't take much to make a guitar happy--just a light dusting and some new strings. Plus, when she's not sounding right, all you have to do is twist her knobs--trying doing that to your wife . . . actually, that works sometimes, but usually only on the honeymoon.

Sometimes dreams should just remain dreams - once attained whats next?

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Phill ...

Always a letdown when something like this happens. I got to play a guitar I've always wanted (Gibson L4 hollow-body) just before Christmas, and was horribly disappointed. It had a very flat, muddy sound. Hard to describe the feeling afterwards, but almost approaches despair.

I love Rick basses. My rreams involve playing bass as well as Paul McCartny and haven't a thing to do with the instrument. I've got an Ovation Magnum 3 bass that is far more bass than I can manage.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

TIGLJK wrote:

Phill

Should have bought it, you can never have enough guitars ! smile
Jim

PS

I WANT THAT SHIRT....

topdown wrote:
TIGLJK wrote:

PS

i've had a couple of wives too, but they can shout louder than a 100 watt amp...believe me, i know

Artie'splaying wrote:
topdown wrote:
TIGLJK wrote:

PS

Yep, and it doesn't take much to make a guitar happy--just a light dusting and some new strings. Plus, when she's not sounding right, all you have to do is twist her knobs--trying doing that to your wife . . . actually, that works sometimes, but usually only on the honeymoon.

no comment...:D

bluejeep wrote:

Sometimes dreams should just remain dreams - once attained whats next?

sounds like this should be on your sig line, never the less.... true

Tenement Funster wrote:

Phill ...

Always a letdown when something like this happens. I got to play a guitar I've always wanted (Gibson L4 hollow-body) just before Christmas, and was horribly disappointed. It had a very flat, muddy sound. Hard to describe the feeling afterwards, but almost approaches despair.

i felt the same with a blonde gibson semi-acoustic (another john lennon fantasy) felt and sounded awful, ah well!

Zurf wrote:

I love Rick basses. My rreams involve playing bass as well as Paul McCartny and haven't a thing to do with the instrument. I've got an Ovation Magnum 3 bass that is far more bass than I can manage.

i went round the beatles museum inliverpool on my 60th birthday and almost bought a rickie violin bass, it cost 1000 pounds or so...common sense prevailed, i only use the bass guitar for recording.

Phill Williams wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:

Phill ...

i felt the same with a blonde gibson semi-acoustic (another john lennon fantasy) felt and sounded awful, ah well!

I've met shrill and disappointing blondes like that.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

dino48 wrote:

I had the chance too buy one years ago but did not have the cash,wish I would have got a small lone for it,they are worth a lot now and real good guitars.

it's only now that i've retired that i can afford it. but i'm only going to buy stuff i really need, and to be honest i dont need another guitar as i have 7; 2 acoustics, 1- 12 string, 1 bass, a strat, a kort (yuk) and my beloved tele, that's enough for any retirement?

mekidsmom wrote:

Ahhh... Kind of like that fantasy that once acted out isn't as good in real life as it was in your head huh?  Um, wait... no, don't read into that.  Or do.  Whatever.  LOL!  Sorry to hear it wasn't quite what you'd dreamed of Phill!!

your so right, most young guys have pictures of gorgeous semi naked women on their walls, i had pictures of john's rickie. whne i saw it in the shop, it looked so.....pick me up and buy me. so i picked it up and felt sick. the weight was all wrong, it played like a cheap uke. flat frett board...no, no, no!

they had a semi version which was everything the black one wasn't, but i'm not going to buy that either, or i might.....

Phill Williams wrote:
dino48 wrote:

it's only now that i've retired that i can afford it. but i'm only going to buy stuff i really need, and to be honest i dont need another guitar as i have 7; 2 acoustics, 1- 12 string, 1 bass, a strat, a kort (yuk) and my beloved tele, that's enough for any retirement?

You can never have too many guitars!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:
Phill Williams wrote:
dino48 wrote:

You can never have too many guitars!

so many guitars but only two hands, isnt God cruel?