Topic: Is a Stradivarius Just a Violin?

(http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/05/16/313099219/is-a-stradivarius-just-a-violin)

This is very interesting but bound to be controversial and awaken animosities and brand loyalty. “Experts” did not overwhelmingly choose a Stradivarius instrument over others. So the question remains: sound or brand?

My favorite guitar is a 1979 Yamaha dreadnought emulating a Martin D-35. Which sounds better? Don't know. Don't care. One I own and play, the other remains elusive to my budget.

I'm not saying a Stradivarius instrument, or popularly-branded guitar, is not all that and a bag of chips, just that we have a human obligation to play what we can, create what we can, to include music, whatever our budget.

Dj

Re: Is a Stradivarius Just a Violin?

When buying guitars, cars, guns and tools, I purchase what I like, within a limited budget, and have been satisfied without thinking about brand. Would it be different if my budget was unlimited, I don't know, never been rich enough to answer that question. To paraphrase Rule #1, if it sounds good and feels good, it is good.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I have about the same outlook as bluejeep.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I have  always tended  to  shy  away  from big brand  names although  I  have some   reasonably  expensive  guitars  in my  collection I  find  that   the cheaper   brands  can often be  as  good . A  case  in example  is  when I  wanted  a semi  acoustic ES 335  type  I  chose  3   similar  guitars  the  Gibson es335  the  epiphone  dot 335  and  the  vintage vs535 I  spent  an  afternoon  with the  3   in the  shop  and  came  away  with  the  Vintage  which was  considerably   cheaper  than the  others   ,Why   .... because  it  played  better  ,sounded  better  and  was  cheaper  ,had  the  Gibson  been better   I  would  have bought  that despite  the  huge  price  difference ,

It's just the name. I'm sure in the hands of a skilled player, a cheaper instrument can be made to sing as well as any other.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

zguitar wrote:

It's just the name. I'm sure in the hands of a skilled player, a cheaper instrument can be made to sing as well as any other.

Yep "a good worker never blames his tools" true the high end name brands are quality to be sure but what ultimately counts is the skill and knowledge of the musician and his creativity smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I have some that are brands and some that are no-name guitars. My main acoustic is an early 60's guild import that failed after just a few years of production. My family gave it to me for Christmas when I was 6 and they couldn't have spent more than $200 on the thing. But it's been with me for 29 years and I love it so much I just found a clone (and bought it WOO HA!) on ebay.

That said I also have an American Telecaster and an ES335. wink

When I bought my first guitar 30 years ago, the budget was at the top of my list. I didn't have much in the way of discretionary funds at the time. I went with a $180 acoustic Epi that I was able to make payments on for a few months. A year after I brought it home I had the plastic nut and bridge saddle replaced with bone. The new deep, rich sound just overwhelmed me. A $40 change made it completely different guitar. It's still my go-to acoustic.

There were times when I would be at a party or just an informal gathering of some sort and I was asked what I played. When I said Epiphone, I would almost always get "that look"; and an "Oh, Epiphone", like it didn't deserve to be classified as a guitar. More than once someone would have to eat crow once they heard or played it. smile It may not have the same rich ring of a Taylor or Martin but I still can't make myself justify their price tag.  I've acquired 5 more Epi's over the years and I'm quite happy with my "cheap" guitars.

My sister has an Epiphone from the 70's, and it is a fantastic sounding guitar.  I'd not sneer at one.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have played epiphones before and they all sounded good too me.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I'll give another hearty Epiphone endorsement.

I actually played a Gibson Les Paul Custom right alongside my Epi Les Paul Custom Pro, and I honestly feel the Epi sounds better. The sustain is amazing (true set-in neck), the tonal range is way better than I'd hoped for, and the build quality is first rate. The Gibson has a few cosmetic upgrades, but a look in the mirror confirms that's not a priority for me.

I wonder ... are Squier editions of Fender guitars as good as Epi's are to Gibson's? I've heard that Squier's electronics are quite poor compared to Fender's.

12 (edited by Grah1 2014-05-25 05:45:53)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecaden … -the-strad
this link  does  a blind   comparison   on strad  to  new  interesting results. Scroll  down past  the  photo   listen   to  the  two  sound  bites  and  read  the  results .

They sound they same,but I thought  the # 1 was the strad.

I think when I  needed  a semi  acoustic ES 335  sort  I  picked  3  comparative  guitars  the  Gibson es335  the  epiphone  spot 335  and  the  vintage vs535 I  used  an  evening  with the  3  in the  shop  and  came  away  with  the  Vintage  which was  impressively  less expensive  than the  others  ,Why  .... since  it  played  better  ,sounded  better  and  was  less expensive  ,had  the  Gibson  been exceptional  I  would  have purchased  that in spite of  the  colossal  cost  contrast ,