Topic: Teaching myself

I,am teaching myself how to play . My husband got me a really nice Shecter Tempest. I picked up strumming quick. So quick my husband thought I was lieing about not knowing how to play. I watch a guy on tv play songs with 1and 2
fingers. Two of my finger are bent . Can,t straiten out . So I can,t do chords were my finger are spread apart . Can anybody tell me song s that use few chords and that the fingering is close to gether .PLEASE HELP.

Re: Teaching myself

Welcome to Chordie, bugz. It takes time, to build muscle memory in your fretting hand. Keep practicing and challenging yourself and you'll be amazed at what you can do. There are lots of songs that only use three chords (G-C-D). Look in the public books section, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Welcome to Chordie, Bugz!

The 3 major chords of E, A, and D have your fingers close together, and a lot of folk / country music can be transposed to various combinations of these three. Every guitarist will tell you ... lots of practice will improve your skills.

Welcome here bugz,there are a lot of easy songs look at the all public songbook section and it will have an area for beginners songs. as they told you above your finger strength will get better and you will be able too do more later on. don't give up,it takes time.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Welcome, Bugz24. If I understand your post correctly you are teaching yourself to play but your "fretting" hand has 2 fingers that will not straighten out causing difficulities in you making some chords. Correct? Let's see if this will help you. Do you know the chord progressions? ( chords that go together in a certian key) A guitarist plays to the key of the singers voice so if the song is being sung in the key of "G" the chord progression would be "G..C..D". Chords for the key of "A" would be "A..D..E". Key of "D" chords would be >D..G..A".This is just a few, you will need to learn all chord progressions. These progressions are for simple 3 chord songs. Now, what chords can you make. Once we know that it will be easier to help you. Also, what type of music do you like / want to play. There are thousands of 3 chord songs, in all genre's, that are simple to play. If your hand won't allow you to make chords there are way's where you can make the chords with only 1 finger. Do a search of Dolly Parton and watch how she plays a guitar with 2" nails. Take some time, practice tha chords and scales and learn what you can and cannot do with your handicap. Once you know what you can do you can concentrate on that element.

Nela

6 (edited by beamer 2014-05-24 03:54:04)

Which fingers are bent?
If you can use 1, 3, 4  then root 5 power chords are gonna be your friend, if your 3 or 4 finger is the one in question you can use 1&3 or 1&4.if its #1 (index) then you can also retrain your remaining fingers to do the power chords. there is also open tuning where you can just use 1 finger across the neck and produce full chords.  With out knowing the severity of your condition, it's a   bit hard to offer correct guidance. PS you got a great guitar there! Schecter makes darn fine guitars!

this is dadgad tuning,, used byh jimmy page in a lot of songs.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydMaX6wiwmc

some open D stuff  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXKThokmkE0

hope this helps

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

7 (edited by badeye 2014-05-24 08:34:45)

Welcome to Chordie..   here is a site with lots of two and three chord tunes,,   enjoy..scroll down for lots of tunes...

http://kristinhall.org/songbook/Songbook.html

Badeye    cool

one caper after another

strupoid request im sure..i used to have a tool bar that list 4 or 5 guitar tab sites..one of these sites had the song you shoose..the lyrics and chords..and tab..and on right in small window a video of the original artist playing rthe song so you codl lay along? does anyone know what that site is called? got new computer and cannot find it again butso helpful to have the video so I could see chords and play with the band...I lovd it....and tom petty probably still needs my guitar in badcfkground..lol

thank you fore trhe help...ellie
send answet to ellie_addison@yahoo.com