Topic: Arthritis in the fingers

Well it appears I am experiencing a guitar players worst nightmare. I recently started getting stiffness and pain in my finger joints, and seems i'm under attack by the evil arthritis. Some times  I can't wrap the fingers of my left handle around the neck enough to form chords. Quite depressing since playing the guitar is a very enjoyable and essential part of my everyday relaxation. Is anyone else out there experiencing this, and what is the best treatment for it. I hate taking drugs, but it may be the only way through this. I hear there are natural remedies as well but don't know who to believe on that stuff. Welcome your ideas.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Re: Arthritis in the fingers

When damp weather is causing my arthritis to flare up, I rub on a product called Voltaren ... works very well. What I don't know is if you have something like it in New Zealand, but here's a medical review about it that gives a good look. I can certainly corroborate that it does work well on the hands and knees.

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/voltaren-gel.php

I've noticed that guitarist Steve Howe appears to have quite swollen knuckles on his hands. He doesn't seem to have the fretting speed he once had, but also seems to have found a more efficient playing style that requires less bending of the joints. His fingers look to be flatter on the fretboard than they were when he was younger.

I keep BenGay handy and take a baby aspirin every day.

Sorry you're having a flare up.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have been dealing with severe arthritis in both hands for over 10 years my fingers curl up and stiffen very painful I use an over the counter product "Icy Hot" ointment or a generic equivalent Equate smells like menthol for a bit but it loosens the muscles and lasts quite a while and its not just my hands but feet and legs aah the joys of ageing lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I have had hand issues from "trigger finger" for years. This has led to 6 surguries, 3 on each hand. After the surguries I was sent to physical therapy by the doctor who used a hot wax treatment on my hands. This treatment consists of a small tank filled with melted pariffin wax that you dip your hands and coat with the wax After dipping you cover your hands with hot, damp towels  for about 15 minutes. Then the coating of wax is pealed off and your hands are massaged for a few minutes - this feels great. You can get this hot wax tant, pariffin wax at most pharmacy's or even at Wal Mart. They are NOT expensive. This treatment requires 2 people. Another thing I enjoy is to wrap my hands around a good hot cup of coffee in the mornings.

Nela

i find trying to keep as much movement in the joints and stretching the fingers out as much as possible helps

There is a ton of free information out on the web that addresses this problem. I have a warmup cheat sheet I use for soreness in my fingers, hands and wrists that I have been using for years, and when I forget to do these exercises once or twice weekly, I end up paying the price with much more pain in my fingers, hands and wrists. Of course there are always the over the counter pain relievers that help as well, but sometimes there are side effects you may have to deal with that are specific to each type of drug. If your problem is more serious, so that exercises, stretches and over the counter drugs don't help you, then I recommend checking with your doctor. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Russell_Harding wrote:

I have been dealing with severe arthritis in both hands for over 10 years my fingers curl up and stiffen very painful I use an over the counter product "Icy Hot" ointment or a generic equivalent Equate smells like menthol for a bit but it loosens the muscles and lasts quite a while and its not just my hands but feet and legs aah the joys of ageing lol

I have alot of it all over the Icy Hot is great I use the advanced relief formula as it contains 16% menthol and it is a little better,I have used most all brands out there and find it works best for me. I also cut out an old sock at the top and use that on my hands works well or you can get arthrithis gloves,if you look at the stores or on the web,around $10.00 ea.You can use the pain rub under the gloves or socks.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

My left chording wrist hurts bad sometimes when I bend it wrong but usually not too bad when I am playing. It's only a matter of time before it gets worse and affects my playing. I don't look forward to that. I don't really take anything for it yet.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Pete, I have a neoprene wrist and thumb support. it works really good. if you look close at most teh chordiestock pics Im wearing one the whole time.  (I needed it for my R hand but I did alternate its use.  you should give it a try. 10 bucks at albertsons.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Welcome back Pete!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hey thanks guys...good to know there's products out there for this. Like Jets I'm a bit wary of the side effects of prolonged taking pharmaceticals. Apparently diet can affect it as well. Some things that are very acid like tomatoes or oranges can aggravate arthritis, so might have to sacrifice some things.

We really a bunch of old farts, arent we!

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Thanks Beamer and Dino. I'll have to give that a try.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

claw finger is a really baddie if your a guitar player, where the pinkies mainly curl in, and it's attributed to the vikings believe it or not? i've got arthur in my knees and toes and some at the top and bottom of my spine, makes bending to adjust FX pedals during a gig very painful. thankfully, though i have stiff fingers occasionally so that i have to pull them till they click, i've not had too many probs with the old digits

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.