1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-03-12 20:09:42)

Topic: Prog Rock Wednesdays

Inspired by our very own BadEye (also a fellow Nova Scotian) and his "Friday Night Blues Fix", I've decided to offer a weekly favorite selection of what's called Progressive Rock. For the most part, I'll try to use clips of live concerts, rather than studio versions.

Like many music forms, Prog Rock has survived for decades, and gone through various evolutions and incarnations. Some of this is partly due to what various people actually term as "Prog Rock, so I'll have a go as well:

Generally, PR involves typically more complicated musical structures than many other more modern (20th and 21st century) forms. Often the 4-piece or 5-piece ensemble (drums, guitar, bass, vocals, keyboards) are used in different and often inventive ways. At times there is a greater emphasis on the musical skills of the group, but not always. A great many of the very best musicians are not PR musicians. The music is more conceptual in form, and the messages can tend to get somewhat ethereal or philosophical, often being criticized for being pretentious and uppity. PR typically demands more of the listener, as it is not a form that can just mutter away in the background, or rarely can it be danced to. Tracks are typically much longer than the 2-4 minutes of many pop sings, and often involve several changes of musical scenery throughout. So much for trying to be brief!

So we'll start this thread off with a personal fav by Uriah Heep: "The Magician's Birthday Party" The guitarist is one of the orginal band members, Mick Box, playing my all-time favorite guitar, a Les Paul Custom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEvjAW7SOgQ

Enjoy!

Re: Prog Rock Wednesdays

Oh yeah awesome picikin and vocals everyone in the band come to think of it nice structured progression smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

i've never actually listened to UH before so i was quite surprised by what i heard, must say i shall be looking out for more. thanks for the heads up.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

So is this open to contributions from others or will you be the one entertaining us throughout the thread?

Cool. I've inspired someone,,   awesome...

badeye    cool

one caper after another

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-07-29 00:58:17)

UncleJohnsBand wrote:

So is this open to contributions from others or will you be the one entertaining us throughout the thread?

By all means Uncle John ... post links to your PR favs also. The more the merrier! I believe I'll just post one link per week, perhaps with a wee smidge of commentary, but Chordie is a public forum for ALL members ... let 'er rip, man!

Man you did drag out an oldie didn't ya?
Somewhere around here I have a copy of Uriah Heep's first album (on vinyl).... good to see the old guys still can do it (gives hope to us geezers).  I also checked out some other folks top 10 lists of PR Bands..... many of which I remember being a fan of back when I was just a.... "younger person". 

Thanks;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Take a look at my sig line. The first time I heard that line it struck a chord with me and I never forgot it.

It's from this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se4YjAV4CZA

Glad there's still a few of us Heep fans around.

I only saw them once, in the summer of 1975 in Toronto. Bassist Gary Thain was still alive (died later that year) and the band was firing on all cylinders. Guitarist Mick Box knows how to get more expression out of a Cry Baby wah pedal than most guitarists of any generation. And I gotta say, that even though I was a big David Byron fan, this Bernie Shaw who sings for them now is very good.

they have a new album out Outsider which is worth a listen

11 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-08-03 09:44:31)

This week's submission is from the group Tangerine Dream.

They were first founded in 1967 by Edgar Froese, and he is still the sole surviving original member. TD has released just over 100 albums in those years, and have gone through various periods of musical styles ... like most groups. At the base of everything they've done is a strong emphasis on electronics, synthesizers, sampling, and digital processing. In the past 20 years or so, brass horns have been featured, as well as guitar. Since 2004, Austrian-born Bernhard Beibl has been their guitarist. In this piece called "Alchemy of the Heart" you'll get a real taste of his considerable ability. Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm8owI2y08o

This is from a concert in Zurich 2012, from their "Electric Mandarine Tour", with Edgar himself now close to 70 years old. As Mark Knopfler once sang, "Yeah buddy, that's his own hair."

Some incredible guitar playing the music is very ethereal and classically structured along the lines of Pink Floyd without vocals

"Growing old is not for sissies"

highly enjoyable. whilst on youtube i noticed that there was another entry entitled "farewell tour" such a shame

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

14 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-08-04 10:46:47)

Glad some of you are enjoying this. I've had fun searching out good links, and I hope the weekly "memory lane" trips are a worthwhile blast from the past.

UH, haven't heard them in years. I got a very early album by them.look at Yourself. Must dig it out and have another listen.

Thick as two short planks

Although Uriah Heep were primarily a Rock 'n' Roll band, they did make some forays into the Prog Rock venue with albums Demons & Wizards, The Magician's Birthday, and Wonderworld. The three most consistent band members throughout (drummer Lee Kerslake, keyboardist Ken Hensley, and guitarist Mick Box) had a such a tight chemistry that they could easily step outside their comfort zone.

This week's entry is from my all-time favorite band, Jethro Tull.

Although they're certainly not as electronic as most groups in the Prog Rock genre, they most certainly were doing things that were "outside the box" back then ... and still are now. Charismatic front man Ian Anderson gives an energetic performance, and he has consistently surrounded himself with talent throughout his career. The guitar playing of Martin Barre is terrific, as is the playing of the late John Glascock (bass), Barry Barlow (drums, glockenspiel), with both Jeffrey Hammond and David Palmer (keyboards). I've only seen them once (Massey Hall, Toronto, 1975) and their skill and entertainment ability has left an indelible mark on me ever since.

From the 10th of their 40+ albums, this performance of "Songs From the Wood" was given in 1977, at the historic Golders Green Hippodrome in North London:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgUw6t3b6oE

"A singer of these ageless times, with kitchen prose and gutter rhymes."

I like all of them but Songs From The Wood is my favorite album from Tull. There is so much going on in every song.

Songs From the Wood, now that took me back a few years.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Looks like a slow day for posts so I thought I'd make a contribution to this thread.

The Spectrum. Philadelphia, Pa 1979. My first and only Yes concert.

They had a round rotating stage so there was almost always a musician facing you. Being 1979 the video quality leaves a little to be desired and being at the Spectrum the audio, well, if you've ever been there you know. roll If you haven't, I'll just say, it works fairly well as an echo chamber. But I've seen countless concerts there and always enjoyed them.

Yes. Starship Trooper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX92QyXGdTE

21 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-08-15 00:14:19)

Awesome post, Uncle Joe ... many thanks!

I actually have another rendition of Starship Trooper saved for my weekly post down the road (from Yes Symphonic in 2003) but the fact that you witnessed this concert firsthand makes it extra special. And thanks for staying with the "spirit" of this thread, by posting a live concert. I'll personally take a live performance over a studio one, as it's typically almost 100% honest. Sure, some of the studio embellishments are missing, and sometimes the singing or instrumentality isn't quite as "sparkly", but it's the real deal.

Appreciate the contribution, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

It was a toss-up between Starship Trooper and  I've Seen All Good People.

SIDE NOTE: Does anyone know what make Steve Howe's guitar is?

Uncle Joe ...

Steve Howe's signature guitar is a 1964 Gibson ES-175, although he'll use other guitars on occasion. Here's a clip to his "rig rundown" on Premier Guitar's website, where he and bassist Chris Squire go through their gear, and explain what they use an why:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/R … ris_Squire

There's another thread here on Chordie called "Iconic Guitars" (in the Electric section, I think) where we spoke about some of these things a while back.

24 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-08-16 11:31:22)

This week's entry is from Canada's own "Rush".

Originally founded in 1968, the current lineup of Geddy Lee (bass, vocals) Alex Lifeson (guitar) and Neil Peart (drums) has been together since 1974. With a total of 24 gold records and 14 platinum, they rank 3rd globally behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for consecutive gold / platinum record sales. Rush never attempted to be a mainstream band, and hence they rarely appeared on pop music charts and the like. I've seen them only twice, and their musicianship and performances are amazing. This video is from their "Time Machine" tour in 2011, and the steam punk theme of their stage set is also quite cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbsC_fGArVc

As a side note, Rush's Hall of Fame induction was viewed by thousands as being many years overdue. As they never made it a point to curry the favor of the "powers that be", it is felt that they were slighted. The final induction was the result of sheer fan support, and Alex Lifeson's acceptance speech is a landmark commentary on the band's feelings about the industry's moguls and political workings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zV4GaElko

No one commented on "Rush", so time to move on. Here's a classic piece of Pink Floyd, featuring some dramatic guitar work from David Gilmour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR8CfY0S1tE

Awesome stuff ... no commentary required.