Topic: How do I read the notes here on chordie??

---------------------------------------------------------------|
---------------------------------------------------------------|
-----4--------------------2--------4-------------1-1-1-1-1-1-1-|
---4---4-----5-------2-----------4---4-----5-------------0-0-0-|
-2---------5---5---2----2---2--2---------5---5-----------------|
---------3-------0---------------------3-------0---------------|

Ok, I get that the first 2 on the second one up from the bottom means to strrike the note in the second fret (i think). BUT, what string do I hit? that and I cant figure out when to hit them. is it like this?\/
---------------------------------------------------------------|   <highest string
---------------------------------------------------------------|   <second highest string
-----4--------------------2--------4-------------1-1-1-1-1-1-1-|  <First brass colored string
---4---4-----5-------2-----------4---4-----5-------------0-0-0-|  <and
-2---------5---5---2----2---2--2---------5---5-----------------|  <so
---------3-------0---------------------3-------0---------------|  <on

???
i have no idea. also, if its like this
---4---4-----5-------2-----------4---4-----5-------------0-0-0-|
/\ do those 3 dashes before the 4 mean anything? Im not completly sure how to read this. Is this is a duplicated post, i apologize.

Re: How do I read the notes here on chordie??

On your first question you are correct. the 2 means to put your finger on the second fret, the 4 on the fourth fret etc.

As for the string, yes, the highest strings are usually at the top. The higher strings are often called your top strings (even though when you hold the guitar they seem to be at the bottom) because they are higher on the scale, and descend as you go down. Usually a tab will show you which strings are which:
V
E|-------0-------------------------------------------------|
B|-----1---------1-------3-------1-------3-------1-------3-|
G|---2---------2-------0-------0-------2-------2-------2---|
D|-----------2-------2-------2-------0-------0-------3-----|
A|-0-------0-----------------------------------------------|
E|-----------------3-------3-------2-------2-------1-------|

E is your high E string, or first string, followed by B, then G etc.

And as to your last question, no, the dashes are only there to clearly seperate the numbers so you know which order to play them in.

Hope I helped!
~Kori

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

Re: How do I read the notes here on chordie??

THanks man, that did help a lot. I got a few songs down already in the last few days! (into's acctually) Ive got nirvana- come as you are, and heart shaped box. I also have green day- wake me up when september ends. The only real question i had was the dashes. That did help me. soo. thanks for the help.