Topic: Replacing plastic saddle, pins and nut

I have a Takamine 340SG acoustic/electric cutaway, ~$400 range.  Sounds very good when plugged in and OK when not pulgged in. 

Will replacing the plastic saddle. pins and nut improve overall sound plugged and/or unplugged?

What replacement materials are available and best?

What might the costs be?

Thanks in advance,
David

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

Re: Replacing plastic saddle, pins and nut

www.stewmac.com will give you a varitiy of materials to choose from. If you have never made a nut I suggest that you either buy a preformed (pre made) or buy the material of your choosing and have one made for you at your local shop.  Ask for some references on their tech and check out some of his work.

Bootlegger.

bootleger wrote:

www.stewmac.com will give you a varitiy of materials to choose from. If you have never made a nut I suggest that you either buy a preformed (pre made) or buy the material of your choosing and have one made for you at your local shop.  Ask for some references on their tech and check out some of his work.

Bootlegger.

I tried making my own before and didn't want to invest the money in buying a proper set of nut files. I found it better (for me) to buy the materials...fit the nut and pins and then having a tech file the nut slots and set the guitar up for me...I love to tinker and work on guitars but some things that seem simple can cause lots of headaches and aggravation for someone who doesn't have the proper tools or skills...it's dangerous to turn me loose with a set of files...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

thanks to bootlegger and jay gordon for the info - i'll check out the link and talk to my luthier

David

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.