Topic: Home alone with nothing to do

Ya'll all know of my health issues from recent post. Well, yesterday morning I'm sitting in my chair, bored, when I looked over at our wood burning heater. Then I went outside and looked at the firewood I had remaining from last year. From there I decided I needed more firewood for this winter. Since no was here to tell me NO I go out, get my chain saw, climb on my tractor and to the back of the pasture I go. There was a nice red oak tree that had been blown down by a early summer storm and it had seasoned nicely. I went to work with the saw and got the trunk all "limbed" and ready for cutting. I layed out the trunk for 18 to 20" lengths and started cutting in sections to contain 4 to 5 good sticks of wood. After I cut these sections I used the tractor and a "gin" pole to drag the lengths of wood back to the house. After I drug up all the lengths of wood I started cutting everything to the proper lengths. So now I got about a chord and a half of wood "butts" that all need splitting. I decided to quit and go clean up before my wife came home from work plus I was give out. My wife comes home, we sit and talk for a while and then she decides to go out in the backyard and see's all the cut wood, and the battle beging.

She began chewing me out ROYALLY. Next, my 83 year old Mother show's up and it starts all over again. It wasn't looking good for me. Since my Mother was at my house and she has to drive past my Mother - In - Law's house to get to mine, here she comes. I'm an growed man with all the hair in the proper places to prove it getting my butt chewed out by 3 different wimmen folk. Not a good picture. This morning, I get out of bed and I'm so stiff and sore from yesterdays activities I can hardly move. All morning long I'm trying to act like nothing is wrong, sneaking arount my wife so see doesn't see me  hoping she will leave early for work so I can suffer in peace. I think I'll sit in the recliner all day, today. Wait, we are supposed to play music, tonite. Oh. I'm so tired.

Nela

Nela

Re: Home alone with nothing to do

NELA, there is an old saying,a mans gonna do what a mans gonna do!
But the other side of the coin is if they didn't care they wouldn't give you such a hard time about doing things you know you shouldn't do.
I think playing guitar or writing a new song is a good compromise. At least until the doc's give you the go ahead to do more.
Hang in there bud,hope you feel better soon!
                                                                                                                                                      Dave

Yea, I know how you feel Nela, kind of in the same boat myself. I've got all these things I planned on doing when I retired and now my back is too bad to do anything. I've always done things by myself and aint used to asking for help, makes me feel useless. Like you, I've got all this wood that needs cut, split and stacked, so I ended up buying an electric chainsaw, its lighter and easier to use but still I have to keep in mind to put a limit on the physical activity. I'm learning to do just a little bit of work at a time and taking lots of rest breaks. Think I'll take a break and play a little guitar now.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Nela I think you should tell them that you need too feel like you are contributing to your familys well being and need to do some things that make you feel like it. The exercise is good for you and mind set is better most likely,but looks like you may have overdone it for the day. I am retired also and I have too do something each day too feel good about myself. I am currently finishing my collage education and it makes me feel good. Good luck with the three ladies,thats hard too fight. Bluejeep has a good post above mine.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

hi nela,

i'm also retired, and as is said above, i do what i gotta do....end of!

when i start getting verbal from my wife and daughter for doing what i shouldn't, i just say; well you're not making my heart any better by giving me grief.

it don't work, but at least i've got an answer for them

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

6 (edited by NELA 2014-10-24 21:08:25)

Something only my immeadiate family knows (and I've not told anyone else) is that I was told in September of 2012 that due to the stage 4 kidney cancer I had maybe 2 years to live without surgury. This was by my local Oncolgy doctor. I was luckly enough to be able to get into a Clinical Trail with M D Anderson Hospital for consulation and surgury. After 14 hours on the operating table and having one of my kidney's, my spleen and part of my pancreas removed I thought I might be back on the road to recovery, Then the doctors at M D Anderson told me that I should be getting my a affairs in order as the prognosis was no more than 2 years. This was in November of 2012. So I guess I am now on borrowed time. Stage 4 cancer is when it attaches to one organ then moves and attaches to other organs. My cancer was located on my left kidney and had grown to the size of a cabbage, attached to my pancreas, in my lungs and lymph nodes. During the surgury my spleen got torn and would not stop bleeding so it was removed. Per the doctors at M D Anderson my lungs are now clear and the cancer in my lymph is shrinking. So I am now on borrowed time. Being able to get out and cut my own fire wood makes me feel good regardless of how tired and sore I am, now. I know the wimmem folk in my life are only fussing because they care. I just gotta do what I gotta do. Today I hurt all over and it feels GOOD!

NELA

Oh man Nela, I'm so sorry. Thats gotta be a heavy load to carry.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I lost my Grandmother, Mother and Son to Cancer all in about a 2 year period. Chris was initially given a year to live, but he gave us 7. This man and his speeches were an inspiration during many trying times. Jimmy start at about 13:45 of the video if you want to skip right to the meat. This was before his famous ESPY Speech. NELA - Never Give Up my friend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6a15gingdE

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

so sorry nela, for once i can't think of anything funny to say. my mother died of cancer a few years back, it was of the stomach and they gave her 3 months, and that's how long she lasted. you're not on borrowed time, my friend, you're just making God wait a bit longer, and make him wait a bit more as you have work to do on chordie.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

10 (edited by keepitreal 2014-10-25 00:16:42)

NELA, O, M, G. What can anyone say to you. Although I feel sure that the wimmin only have your best interests at heart surely you must do what YOU want to do. You paint a great picture of the place that you live so enjoy every
moment. None of us know whats waiting around the corner for us, so we should all enjoy the now.
ps, I had to smile about the term "after I drug up the lengths of wood". Is that legal?
Take care

Thick as two short planks

bluejeep wrote:

Oh man Nela, I'm so sorry. Thats gotta be a heavy load to carry.

My thoughts also,I am hoping you beat all this.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Ya'll don't take what I posted the wrong way. Everything is good. I have great family support, a real good team of doctors and lots of friends. Most days I don't feel well but most of that is due to the side affects of the medicine I'm having to take. I'm still active although not as much as I once was. Right now my boat is hooked up to my truck and I'm thinking about going fishing. My son is sitting here in my living room wanting to know if I want to go bow hunting with him in the morning. I'm going to do one of the other. My wife and I just got home from playing music with friends.I just checkrd my blood sugar and it was 306 which is very high and I don't feel well.  I have a huge pile of firewood that needs splitting and stacking. My yard is due for a mowing. I need to trim my horses feet. So theres plenty to do. I ain't going to let a little thing like cancer get the best of me.

NELA

NELA wrote:

I ain't going to let a little thing like cancer get the best of me.

NELA

Love that 'tude NELA!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

God Bless you NELA.

It's hard to keep a good man down, but take care of yourself

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Well NELA, I know you didn't tell us this info so we'd all sit here and cry and be sad.  So that's not gonna happen!  I say, AWESOME, you are proving them all wrong.  Keep doing what ever it is you're doing because you're still here, despite the time frame they gave.  Yeah, your family loves you to pieces.  Yeah, they're going to give you a hard time.  Sure, they want to preserve you as is and keep you right there with them forever.  It's human nature.  But heck, you never know how much time is left... and in your circumstance that is even more clear than ever.  Who wants to sit around waiting to die?  Hell no!  Do the things you enjoy!  (leave the wood though, and go fishing next time.  It's way more fun!)  LOVE YA!

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

No, I didn't make the post just to have a "pity party". I just feel so lucky to have gotten this far and still being able to do stuff for myself. Most day's I do feel bad but it is due to the after affects of the medicine driving my blood sugars higher that a giraffe's butt. And I did manage to get 2 sticks of wood split, today.
At this rate I should be through by Thanksgiving.

Nela