Re: NEW LINEUP

I thought a tele would be the ideal choice for your collection.  I would like too hear some of your joe walsh and steve lukither from toto,also like Donavan a lot.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

27 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-11-08 23:15:52)

Since you first told us about the Rondo music site, Russell, I've had my eyes on an all wood-grain Strat copy they have:

http://www.rondomusic.com/leona1.html

It would probably need the pickups swapped out for something hotter, like some Seymour-Duncan SSL-3's (love their sound!).

"Rocky Mountain Way" is a fun song to play. My Boss Multi-Effects board has an effect called "Voice" which is controlled with the pedal. It's not quite the same as the "talk box" that Joe uses, but odd enough to smile at.

dino48 wrote:

I thought a tele would be the ideal choice for your collection.  I would like too hear some of your joe walsh and steve lukither from toto,also like Donavan a lot.

Yes the Tele would be my choice too I have so many things on the burner I have to prioritize right now I am working with a keyboard player on Toto's Africa. http://www.songnotes.cc/songs/168-toto-africa

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Tenement Funster wrote:

Since you first told us about the Rondo music site, Russell, I've had my eyes on an all wood-grain Strat copy they have:

It would probably need the pickups swapped out for something hotter, like some Seymour-Duncan SSL-3's (love their sound!).

"Rocky Mountain Way" is a fun song to play. My Boss Multi-Effects board has an effect called "Voice" which is controlled with the pedal. It's not quite the same as the "talk box" that Joe uses, but odd enough to smile at.

Funny thing is I looked at the same guitar darn it sure is purty I am using a brass slide on rocky mountain way I am forgoing the talk box solo in favor of a nice slide solo, as far as pickups for the strat check out GuitarFettish they have some hot texas coils for  a strat very resonalble

I think we will all be in for a treat when you get it done.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

I think we will all be in for a treat when you get it done.

dino I did spend around 3 hrs. rehearsing Africa today so far I can play the progression and sing in the same key as Toto just have to memorize the lyrics and rehearse with the keyboard player when he is free but I am confident it will be a nice cover it is a fun song to play and sing smile

Russel take a break tonight too watch the Pack and the Bears. The 49ers won in overtime today and the Seahawks are playing the Giants right now.

33 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-11-10 15:26:40)

Russell_Harding wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:

Funny thing is I looked at the same guitar darn it sure is purty I am using a brass slide on rocky mountain way I am forgoing the talk box solo in favor of a nice slide solo, as far as pickups for the strat check out GuitarFettish they have some hot texas coils for  a strat very resonalble

Thanks, Russell!

$75 is a good deal for 3 pickups. A guy at the local music shop let me play a Strat with the Seymour-Duncans, and they sounded fantastic. A set of 3 is going to run me $170 or so, but I like that they have a reverse-wound version for the center pickup, for hum & noise reduction. They also give the exact tone that Mark Knopfler gets from his Strat, which is what I'm after:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pick … atssl3.htm

The pickups in the Rondo SX Leo might be just fine as they are, so no mods may be needed. I agree about the looks of this guitar. I'm a real sucker for natural woodgrains. And of course I'm way ahead of myself, 'cuz I haven't even bought the guitar yet! (LOL)

TF I installed the GF texas coils in my strat build you can hear what they sound like on my website I have two songs I use them on with the White Strat I built, so before you spend 175 big ones you might be happy with the ones I put in smile

Russell you alot of work ahead. I heard it is going too be very cold around your area!

dino48 wrote:

Russell you alot of work ahead. I heard it is going too be very cold around your area!

dino I don't go out except to get groceries. gas and do laundry otherwise I stay home. I am not worried about my car I spent over $1100.00 for tires tune up new battery new belts exhaust system flush and oil change the only work I do outside is clear the snow off the car. during winter I hibernate and PRACTICE.

Kinda sounds like my days in the winterbut I got sunshine now and almost 70 so I go out as much as I can. I would stay in more if it was as cold as they say it is up there. I still got too mow my lawns and rake the leaves ( damn ).!!

dino48 wrote:

Kinda sounds like my days in the winterbut I got sunshine now and almost 70 so I go out as much as I can. I would stay in more if it was as cold as they say it is up there. I still got too mow my lawns and rake the leaves ( damn ).!!

I lived in California for some time, LA and Frisco Hermosa beach and big sur I still think Pinks chili dogs are the best in the U.S. and I have tasted just about all of them from Chicago to NY when I was traveling in bands. don't miss the smog

39 (edited by dino48 2014-11-15 01:33:47)

We are blessed with some good weather,I like the Big Sur area the best I used too go camping there alot. I never saw a pinks chili dog. The L.A. area has a real bad smog problem too this day. I really do not like the big cities anyway.

dino48 wrote:

We are blessed with some good weather,I like the Big Sur area the best I used too go camping there alot. I never saw a pinks chili dog. The L.A. area has a real bad smog problem too this day. I really do not like the big cities anyway.

Pinks is in LA I don't remember the street but if anyone types in pinks hotdogs there is bound to be a location perhaps if I am curious enough I will, I did drive from vegas to LA just to bring back a dozen or so in ice they are that good lol  If LA is anything like it was when I lived there that's enough reason not to go back. smile

I googled it and its the same as I remember across the street from a movie lot here are some photos fantastic chili dogs!!
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&am … JwBEKIqMA0

42 (edited by Doug_Smith 2014-11-15 03:31:45)

Pinks just off Melrose.....  Yup I lived in the area for a few years.  We used to jog up the beach from Redondo to the lighthouse at the west end of the airport in El Segundo and back.  Only a 22 mile workout, but was younger and in much better shape then, some days it was really hard dragging that oxygen bottle through the sand.

Too used to clean air to even consider moving back.

Good News Russell!!  Pink's is inside Planet Hollywood in Vegas, so you can forgo that long drive next time you're working on the strip.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

True story: When I first came to LA I found a job at Merrill Lynch and Pierce stock exchange as a runner on the floor my first day on the job I was driving to work the smog was bad and my eyes started watering and I went through a red light a cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket but since I was from out of state and had no money to pay the fine I was put in jail for ten days in Beverly Hills, so here I am in with hardened criminals in a cell holding area one of the "guests" inquired what I was in for after telling me he was arrested fro attempted murder I told him I went thru a red light and couldn't pay the fine and he looked at me weird like and asked the jailer to go to his locker and bail me out never saw him again sure glad to be out of there,

44 (edited by dino48 2014-11-15 20:14:50)

Russell_Harding wrote:

True story: When I first came to LA I found a job at Merrill Lynch and Pierce stock exchange as a runner on the floor my first day on the job I was driving to work the smog was bad and my eyes started watering and I went through a red light a cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket but since I was from out of state and had no money to pay the fine I was put in jail for ten days in Beverly Hills, so here I am in with hardened criminals in a cell holding area one of the "guests" inquired what I was in for after telling me he was arrested fro attempted murder I told him I went thru a red light and couldn't pay the fine and he looked at me weird like and asked the jailer to go to his locker and bail me out never saw him again sure glad to be out of there,

That stank,they should not but a traffic offender in the same area as a felon. I looked at the pinks chili stand and I know I have seen it in a couple of movies or/and on a tv show. Ya they still have bad smog down there. Last time I was there my eyes where doing the same as yours,atleast the murder guy paid your bail.