Topic: display / demos

can i have your thoughts on this subject please,
if i want to buy a guitar in shop and they had none in stock other than whats on display do you think i could ask for a discount?.
because my way of thinking is that it could l be well used  as a demo. and there for used.
even if they offered to re-string the guitar or am i just being tight with my cash?
ihave not seen any thing yet but imay get a nicer guitar for my money
i live in the u.k. so it may be different to say the u.s.a or canada but i stil like your views a well please

thanks in advance charlatan

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-11-08 11:40:46)

Re: display / demos

I'm not one who "dickers" as I used to own a clothing store (sold it almost 7 years ago), and got exasperated when people were trying to chisel me. I kept my profit margins as tight as I possibly could to be fair to my customers, but it didn't seem to matter. There's another philosophy where the merchant puts a higher price on something, to leave room for discounting. I always thought that was chintzy, and dishonest to the customers who didn't ask for discounts. After shopping around and price comparing, I simply buy something if I think it's fair value for the money. I do watch for specials and offers, but that's as far as I go.

That's just my own way, and I suspect that many feel differently. I do know that retail profit margins are nowhere near where many think they are, due to competitive pressures. There are so many options for people to buy things, and no one lasts long if they're not competitive.

I'm the complete opposite.

I own a small tree care business and folks will try to work me down as well. It doesn't bother me because I'm the same way. Nobody wants to pay more for something than they have to. Back in '98 I bought a wood chipper that was used for demo purposes. It listed for $30,000. I offered the dealer $25,000 because it had 4 hours of demo time and quite a few scratches on it. He came back with $26,000 and we were both happy.

I wheeled for the mandolin I bought this past summer as well. Being a small mom and pop store, it was easier than dealing with a large chain. It listed for $600 but had a severe cosmetic blemish that was repaired quickly and wasn't meant to hide the fact. He had it marked down to $475. Here's the thread. http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24092  I don't know what a large note is in the UK but here, $100 bills get the attention of retailers. I offered him 4 and he took it.

Personally, I don't feel it would be out of line to ask for a discount on a demo model. Also keep in mind that credit cards have fees paid by the shopkeeper. Cash goes a long way to getting a better deal.

Charlaton, welcome to Chordie. By all means ask for a discount - all that can happen is that they say no. Have CIF (CASH IN FIST) and be ready to make the deal right then. Rule of thumb would be tp offer around 10% less but be ready to settle for 5%. If they don't won't to deal with a discount then ask for "extra's". A new set of strings, a set-up, capo, shoulder strap, an extra set of strings - these are all "must have" items with any new guitar and getting one or more or them "free" could be the same as getting a discount. Again, cash speaks in a loud voice. Have your mind ready to make the purchase, have a price in mind that you are willing to pay, be polite and respectful but be ready to walk away if your offer is not accepted. BUT - never offer a "low ball" price that could be  considered a insult. Do a little homework and find out what other places are selling the same item for, that way you will know the value of that item.

NELA

NELA wrote:

Have your mind ready to make the purchase, have a price in mind that you are willing to pay, be polite and respectful but be ready to walk away if your offer is not accepted.

That's what I did for my first mandolin. It was a Kay beginners model. The strings were shot, intonation was way off and the machine heads were a bit sloppy. Asking price was $175. I offered $100 and he said no. I politely said thank you and walked away. He changed his mind and  stopped me after about 3 steps.

NELA wrote:

BUT - never offer a "low ball" price that could be  considered a insult. Do a little homework and find out what other places are selling the same item for, that way you will know the value of that item.

Sound advise there. Most people know what they need to get for an item and they know the value of it before they offer it for sale.

Demos are used and sometimes abused and or scratched the need to lower the price. I have never paid the full asking price and have always come away with a lower price and some extra strings etc. They expect it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I'm from Funster's school of retailing.....  good value at a good price from the onset and make the margin in volume and repeat business.

From a Retailer's standpoint, I would never sell my floor demo unless it was due to be replaced by the newest example of the brand, or if I was hard up to get my investment out of it.  Selling the "floor" model just means that I would have to discount it (for reasons stated above), AND take the hit again when I replaced it with another new one from stock or order (which I likely will have paid more for due to inflation).  That's not a win-win for me at any rate and just emboldens those who are ready and willing to drag out that stick and beat the heck out of you forever more. 

Best just not to go there and let the sale walk out the door.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi Charlatan, I'm also from UK (Nottingham). I would think it perfectly normal to ask for discount. After all the goods are not boxed and in the case of a guitar may have been used. You wouldn't  pay full price for  ex  display white goods or a car, and remember. You can take your cash anywhere.

Thick as two short planks

An interesting thread. From my experience,  if a guitar has been on display and played, but is free of scratches or defects, I wouldn't ask for a discount. On the other hand, if I know that a guitar has been sitting in the shop for a long time, or if it shows signs of abuse or wear, I would probably try to negotiate a lower price.