Topic: peavey rage 258 amp

Any one tried  a Peavey  rage   258 25 watt amp.Is  it  loud enough for  small gigs or  would  it  be  drowned out  by  the  drums?
Some of the  gigs  in the uk I  did last  year  were  small venues where  we played  with out micing the  amps amd with out monitors.The  3  amps  I  used  were  Roland 50 cube ,Marshall 30 dfx and a  fender  twin reverb ,all were ok  but  the  variance in tone  was a bit anoying so  I  thought  maybe  buy  a  small easily portable  amp for  this  coming years gigs that I  can easily  throw in the  back of  the   car .

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-11-14 23:56:13)

Re: peavey rage 258 amp

I haven't tried that particular Peavey, but did try a Peavey Valveking 112 - 50W when I was shopping for an all-tube amp last year. I could get volume out of it, but the tone got abrasive to the ears when pushed. Instead, I opted for the 212 - 100W, an all-tube, 2 x 12" speaker unit. But it weighs about 70 lbs, which I could probably lighten by 10 lbs if I replaced the magnet speakers with a set of neodymiums ... someday maybe.

Your Rage 258 will be a breeze to move around at only 16 lbs. I'm not sure about the TransTube technology they speak of, but I suspect it's a lot like the VOX ValveTronix series where they have a single 12AX7 in the preamp section. I had a VT80+ and as good as it was, it still didn't have have the true tube tone, especially when being played clean. It weighed 30 lbs and was compact, which would still be a decent "back of the car" amp.

Just my two-cents worth, Graham.

Thanks TF I'll try one out when I get back to the UK .I have a Line 6 spider 75 here in Greece which is really loud and portable but its complicated by too many options

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-11-15 14:11:21)

I hear ya about the "too many options" that some of these modelling amps have. The VOX I had was similar, which can make a person kinda nuts. I prefer to just use pedals / stompboxes for stuff like that.

me too  but  some times  when we  do  a  festival here the sound  guys  provide  a standard  backline  for  all to  use  this  usualy  consists  of  a  marshall stack  a vox  modeling  amp  and  maybe  if  were lucky  a  fender    twin reverb  for  the  guitarists  and  a  bass  rig  so  its  a  case  of  getting  what  your  given .This  year  the guys  did  a  great  job  at  all  the  gigs .

I see what you're saying, Graham. When you're on the road, you've got to use what's provided. I believe bassist Geddy Lee (Rush) runs his bass through his board of tricks on stage, and then mics it into the house PA system. No amps to frig with ... sounds like an efficient idea, and he also sounds very good.