1 (edited by unclejoesband 2014-12-18 01:40:51)

Topic: SG Headstock Repair

I've started actively looking for a solid body and I think I decided on an SG. I found one on craigslist the other night that has had the headstock broken and "professionally repaired"; so he says.  I don't like the location of the crack. It looks to me to be a high stress area. Would this concern you if you were looking at this ax. He's asking $300.

Now if I can remember how to post pics.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv38745%3Enu%3D4%3A64%3E6%3B%3B%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A6453%3B39349nu0mrj

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3A578%3Enu%3D4%3A64%3E6%3B%3B%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A6457%3A52349nu0mrj

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv332%3B2%3Enu%3D4%3A64%3E6%3B%3B%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A6457%3A4%3B349nu0mrj

Re: SG Headstock Repair

Looks like that is not a good repair from the picture,I think I would pass on it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

If there ever was a "weakness" in a Gibson.... it's the scarf joint on the neck.  That's what it looks like and although it can be repaired successfully, there are many comments about necks breaking at that point.  I'd go along with Dino on this one and pass.

Surprisingly, the Epiphone version's neck is made differently and for some reason not prone to the same failure..... go figure!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-12-18 12:18:31)

I'll cast another vote for Epiphone ... love my Les Paul Custom. Their SG G-400 Pro use the same pickup components (Alnico CLassic Pro) that the US-made Gibson's use, and you can get one new for under $400. This should be a less risky proposition than gambling on a sketchy-looking repair job.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/SG/G-400-PRO.aspx

Uncle Joe, another option is to try to talk the guy down a little more. Tell him your concerns and why you are unsure of the repair. Check out the cost of replacing the neck , New or used if you can find one. The repair may last longer than you expect and you could sock away some money for a new neck. FYI- I replaced the neck on my Taylor 310ce for $700. That was more than I wanted to spend but repair was not an option and I really like the guitar. If you really like the SG do a little research. Good idea to ask for opinions.

Joe

Thanks for the opinions guys. I think what I'll do is set up a meeting with the seller so I can see it first hand. The pics can only tell you so much. I can feel the action, intonation and check for buzz anywhere.

My dad is a woodworker and he mentioned that a good repair is often stronger than the original wood. I know that's true when working with welds on metal but never thought about it with wood.

Tyson7 wrote:

Uncle Joe, another option is to try to talk the guy down a little more. Tell him your concerns and why you are unsure of the repair. Check out the cost of replacing the neck , New or used if you can find one. The repair may last longer than you expect and you could sock away some money for a new neck.

I already considered offering him $200. I figured at that price, if it broke I wouldn't be devastated. I never considered a new neck. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the idea.

Unclejoe, I agree with your dad, a good repair is stronger than the original wood. I've done some experiments with wood repairs for boat building and have not broken a good repair at the glued area. I'm sure Russell could give good advice on a neck replacment.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I have a used 07 or 08 sg (identical to this one) with a perfect neck that has been professionally serviced, well maintained and literally played maybe 12 times that I'd be happy to sell you if you like. PM me.

-BGD