Topic: Turning a performance around

Hey Folks.

Did you ever start a performance and it just wasn't getting the usual response from the crowd?  I usually go down very well singing solo with my guitar in pubs but now and again it just doesn't seem to be happening for me and i can't tell why!  Sometimes, I feel like i am sounding the same way as I have rehearsed, I am remembering all my lyrics and music, but the crowd don't seem to be getting into it.  This impacts on how I feel and it seems like an uphill battle from there on.  Sometimes, i switch to faster songs and that can help but not always.

What I am looking for are any tips to change things around when they are not going well. 

Cheers folks!

Re: Turning a performance around

Sometimes you are background music. that's just the reality of the situation. If it's a chill scene and people are talking and enjoying, it might be enough that they are staying put and not leaving. Some crowds are tough to engage.

You  may be playing to a different generation that has not heard your music before

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

4 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-02-07 21:32:33)

Whatever you do, never jokingly refer to them as being a "tough" crowd. One of the bands I was in had a night like you describe, vic and our lead singer joked about them not dancing: "We do do requests, folks!" "Did someone die?" and just downhill from there until we finally had an empty room. During the break we told him, "Hey man, shut up with that crap!" (Not saying you're doing that, vic. It's just anecdotal.)

We never got asked back.

In another band I was in, we'd use a slow night to just play for ourselves. It wasn't obvious to the crowd, but maybe the singer wanted to try a different key, or the lead might wanna lay in some licks he'd been meaning to try. I know you're a solo act and for you it's different, but just play for yourself or try some friendly patter. So what if they don't seem to be listening? That's on them not you.

Got anything on YouTube? My buds here might be getting tired of me asking that, but I really wanna go and listen, so let me know and don't let those sucky nights get you down. We've all had them. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

hi vic,

been there done that...i'm a solo and i've quite often found what works great in one pub to fab response seems to die a death in the next. i've often thought "i'm going to get paid off" only to find the landlord gushing that i've kept the crowd as they usually drift away (nice song that).

as someone once said "don't sweat the small stuff" and that is small stuff. in some places if you can walk out without getting beaten up or your gear getting smashed-up, you can say...yep, that was a good night! smile

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Match your set to your audience. Talk it up some, mix up the mix. Get their attention with your personality.
Like Phil said, though, there are some nights when nothing really works and count it a victory it nothing is tossed at the stage.
Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

When I was doing a single gig I considered it a successful gig if the owner didnt sneak off before I got paid

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I do quite a few solo gigs too. And sometimes no matter how much you give out you just don't get much back. On a slow night I will find one person who seems to be listening and play to them. Making eye contact,maybe a bit of banter back and forth ask them for requests and so forth. I have seen where playing for that one person,the next time you play,they show up with a new group to play for. And hopefully some of them will become "regulars". If you play out enough,slow nights will happen to everyone. Make the best out of every gig,learn something new each time out. And above all have fun! That's why we do it right? When you are having fun,it seems to be contagious to those watching!

Vic, All great comments here. hummin n strumming I totally agree. You took the words right out of my mouth. I've been there and to get through played for myself or I found that one person who was listening. That one person will get you through and probably give you uplifting feedback at the end of the night.
Just stick with it and have fun.

Joe

It  can be difficult some times  to engage an audience , I've  played  allsorts  of  venues , worst  thing  is  the  taverna/restaurant gig ,People  just  want  to  eat  and  talk ,they  may  be  listening  with   half an ear ,you  are  just  background music ,grin and  bear it  play  the  songs  take  the money .Sometimes bar gigs   can be  as  bad but  at least  you  can engage  with  the  audience make sure  you  grab em with  something  exiting every  few numbers  so  they  know  your  there ,festivals if  your  the  opening  act  make sure   your  better  than  who ever's  following   if  your following  some  one  make sure  your  better   than the  one  before give it 110%.Theaters If  there  paying  to  see you  you've probably  made it  cos  they're   paying  to  see you  give  the  audience  what  they  want  and  enjoy  your  self