Topic: Happy NGD to Mekidsdad!

So, Jim's (mekidsdad, the hubster) not super great with forums and he's still learning how to do this thing... but please wish him a happy NGD!

He finally found out what I mean when I say, "let the guitar pick you, you'll just know".  Of course, that came with a price tag, but our local Guitar Shop is AWESOME and for some crazy reason they love to over discount their stock and provide interest free layaways with as little or as much down as you can afford.  So... we put a little down each week and the taxes just came back so I picked it up for him on Thursday.  I'll help him post some pictures later on and let him tell you more about his new Taylor 812e 12  fret (2013) in honey burst!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Happy NGD to Mekidsdad!

Happy New Guitar Day Jim.

I plan on letting a few guitars "look for me" this year. Hopefully the right one finds me. smile

Dang! Sweet guitar. Happy NGD Jim!

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

A very happy NGD Jim. I suggest you keep an eye on it or that Mekidsmom might try and get it from you. smile

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Way to go Jim! Happy NGD! A very nice addition to the family. Hope your new Taylor brings you a lifetime of musical enjoyment.

Taylor 812 is an awesome guitar. Congrats Jim!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Jim, congrats on the new guitar. Here's to many happy hours of music. Now, along with this guitar comes great responsibility. You will be on your way to becoming a guitar God and with that come's fame, fortune and groupies. You must learn to conceal this or face problems at home. You will never be able to sil in your reclyner, relaxed and get that far away look in your eye. Them wife's know that look! When your eyes kinda "glass" over and you get that silly grin on your face the wife will never believe you when you tell them you are thinking of the music you are playing - they wanna think it's the groupies you are day dreaming about. When you wake up from a sound sleep hollering "one more time" the wife will never believe it's the music you was dreaming about. Everytime you hold the guitar amd look lovingly down the soundhole she will think you are thinking about another one of your groupies. I know this from experience as it has happened to me. So, since I am now beyond all this due to my age, I am willing to spare you all this grief. You can contact me privately, and I will send you all the information so you can ship me the guitar before it gets you in trouble. I will take good care of the guitar and you will not have to worry about Amy putting starch in your drawers. Us guy's just gotta stick together.

Nela

That's a definite beauty, Jim & Amy!

Treat her well, Jim ... she's a real keeper (both Amy and the guitar). Just curious ... why the shorter scale version?

Happy NGD, Jim! Nice one NELA - I gotta get me one of them, while I'm still (just) young enough. In my head, anyway...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Congrats Jim!!!!

A 12-fret concert-size Taylor has been on my "wish list" for years, especially in the 700 or 800 series - and honey burst to boot? Color me green with envy wink

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I don't know what NGD means. sad

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Bill it means, Happy New Guitar day. HNG too you mekidsdad .

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

New  Guitar  Day

Don't worry Strummerboy Bill.  I had to learn it when I first came here and saw it too. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:
Strummerboy Bill wrote:

New  Guitar  Day

Don't worry Strummerboy Bill.  I had to learn it when I first came here and saw it too. 

- Zurf

Include me in that crowd as well. roll

15 (edited by mekidsmom 2015-03-08 00:41:25)

Thank you everybody. Nela, thanks for the offer of help but i'll have to pass. Amy's my biggest groupie and supporter already, and besides that I never would have got it if it wasn't for her, so I would probably have to worry more about the starch if I got rid of it.

Anyway, my new guitar is a Taylor 812e-12fret. It has a sitka spruce top with no pickguard and honeyburst finish, indian rosewood back and sides, slotted headstock with antique gold tuners, curly maple binding, and ebony fretboard. I actually found it when I was shopping for a birthday present for Amy. I played it and fell in love with the sound and play-ability of it. I told her about it when I got home and tried to find a picture of one online and only found one throughout the internet with that finish and options. Her reply was that I needed to buy it. I believe it was a custom order that somehow ended up in stock at the local shop, some of the options on this guitar don't appear available in stock anywhere.  I couldn't even find the options on Taylor's website.  I like the 12 fret because it has a more bluesy sound and plays easier than the 14 fret.  Due to the bridge being moved down on the soundboard, it doesn't have the Taylor ring found in the 14 fret model. 

Amy will put a pic up soon, because I don't know how.  She tried to explain it to me, but I just want to play my guitar.  smile

Jim

edited to add photos - mkm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11041214_10206175423403183_6420073761548870171_n.jpg?oh=d3f9e8c6af6384380f0829cc91a27a67&oe=558F61C3&__gda__=1433410982_2c922b5f586918a64912d98e252c8049

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/997031_10206175423683190_796741917192301274_n.jpg?oh=632bcf984e7df7304e2a17c66c8a665b&oe=558665EB

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11009199_10206175424123201_5851669482328212491_n.jpg?oh=1537805a03b9ef597abab97e0e7ca269&oe=558951B5

Here's a review of one I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvJm96wN2I0

Nice guitar MKD.

Epiphone DR500
Taylor 710Ce-Ltd
Epiphone SG400
Fender Squier CV50 Telecaster

Schweeeet!!  That's a great lookin' guitar Jim.

I've had a Martin 12-fret slothead rosewood/spruce for 3 years and enjoy it, but I've played the same thing by Taylor and like the Taylor sound better.  You did good buddy. Hope to get a chance to hear you play it sometime.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Yessirree ... that's a beautiful instrument, MKD!

Thanks for the explanation about the 12-fret design ... makes perfect sense. The only song I play where a shorter fretboard might be an obstacle is "Up the 'Pool" by Jethro Tull. Anderson plays it capoed at the 7th fret, and the first chord in the intro is an F played using a D-shape at the 12th feet ... could be a tight squeeze.

Seriously though, that's a heck of a fine guitar!

Congratulations Jim!  That is one great guitar you have there, and the next thing you know you and Amy will be playing duets..... for many years to come.

Here's a little inspiration:    www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WrnMQu8XWI

Happy NGD!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Very Nice, Jim

Hope you and Amy enjoy the best playing together. I would love to have a chance to play it.

Later, Wayne P

Doug_Smith wrote:

Congratulations Jim!  That is one great guitar you have there, and the next thing you know you and Amy will be playing duets..... for many years to come.

Happy NGD!

Gah!  That's way too good for us!  We've actually been working on this one, cuz it fits us well LOL:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5axlwCBXC8

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Doug_Smith wrote:

Happy NGD!

I did not know you were that talented Doug. Great duet!

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

23 (edited by Doug_Smith 2015-03-21 22:06:07)

Roger Guppy wrote:

I did not know you were that talented Doug. Great duet!

Roger

Mark Hanson is a very talented local musician, as is Terry Robb, and that other fella is just the younger/better-looking/talented version of somebody who shares my name and slight resemblance to me..... which is why I wear a beard!  www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMUDEAMyMis

The main reason for the links is that none of the stuff they're doing is all that technical, and certainly within the scope of many folks with appropriate doses of practice.  The complexity of the music comes from multiple guitars playing simple parts together, and that is the point I was trying to get to.

Other things in common:  Dads were Marines, same hair color and style, similar height & build, both from Portland, both play finger-style guitar, but he's got "Grammys" and gets to do it professionally..... and that's about where commonality ends.  But you have to have something to aspire to, and that level is somewhere close to where I'd like to get before my body parts start to fail.

A long way to go!

Edited to add the Terry Robb link.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thank you again everyone for your great comments. I am very happy with my new guitar. it is everything I have been looking for in an acoustic. Amy and I  are working on putting a gathering together. Amy mentioned salmon river, but there is a lot of other options for fishing, there are tons of other streams, rivers, ponds and lakes in this area. Fly fishing for trout, walleye fishing on oneida lake, smooth kayaking, or whitewater kayaking are also available. I myself do not like the crowded style of salmon fishing, so I also know some places for that that are more secluded. There are also A lot of historic sites in the area(including forts and battlesites DE). And of course Wayne and anyone else are more than welcome to play my guitar.

Happy NGD !!!!!! I have two Taylors and I love both of them . I know you will love yours.

Joe