Yours truly on drums

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: The Watchmen

Good picture Bill thanks for sharing it,looks like it was in the sixties.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Cool! That venue looks like one that is literally in my backyard.  Ok, their property literally abutts my back yard, as long as we're being literal.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Great shot and great times, Bill.

Roger

P.S. I added [img]before and[/img] after so the picture would show in your post. Hope you don't mind.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-20 09:35:13)

Very cool pic, SB Bill ...

I wonder what anyone in those days would have thought, if someone like Neil Peart or Carl Palmer showed up with the humongous drum kits they're using today.

Thanks, you guys! smile Compared to drum kits today, TF those almost look like toy drums, don't they, but when you look at Ringo's from that era, (Yeah, dino! the Swingin' Sixties), they're the same size. smile

By the way guys, I'm not wearing white socks in that pic! I am wearing none at all and am wearing "Jesus Weejuns". They were Penny Loafers we cut up to look like sandals. It was the High School style at that time. smile

Thanks!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

They may look like toy drums, but guys like Ringo, Buddy Rich, etc. could accomplish a lot with just a little, as I'm sure you did. Lot easier to lug them from gig to gig, too!

8 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-03-20 13:48:08)

Here's something nobody knows except y'all, I swear: In the picture, see that one lone cymbal I've got? That's because I got drunk one night when we played at the VFW and as I was loading my Chevy Nova up, thinking no one was around at 1:00 am and leaving the trunk open, someone stole my whole set (of cymbals)!

Well, that one cymbal came from my high school band room (when I was still playing tenor drum in the marching band).

What I'd do is: Every Saturday morning when we had a gig that night, I'd drive my car around to one of the windows (which I had left unlocked on Friday afternoon, being it was me who was in charge of that), crawl up on the fender and boost myself up to open the window, slip inside and "borrow" that one cymbal for that night.

I came back early Sunday afternoon and did the same thing in putting it back. In broad daylight.

I was brazen, I tell you! BRAZEN!!! smile

Why only one cymbal, I hear you asking, aren't there at least two in a marching band?

Yes there are, but this was the "concert" cymbal. The others were too heavy to use with a drum set.  I'd at best get a "TINK!" from them if I  hit them with a stick. No, this one was "Golidlocks". Which is what I named it.

I had to do that for about 4 months until my Dad lent me the money to buy more cymbals.

Didn't know you had a criminal amongst you, didya? wink

Have a great weekend, my friends!

Bill

PS: This year is The Watchmen's 50 Year Anniversary, being we started in 1965. We thought about reuniting along with some other bands from that era, but we're too spread apart.

PPS: Thanks to my bud, TF for the compliment.

PPPS: The Watchmen may be heard on YouTube by searching Watchmen 1965. What you will hear is VERY primitive, as it came from an old Scotch reel to reel tape recorder. We cleaned it up as best we could and you can hear a few splices, but that's me on the drums and "Hangin' On With Sloopy". wink

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Roger Guppy wrote:

Great shot and great times, Bill.

Roger

P.S. I added before and after so the picture would show in your post. Hope you don't mind.

Thanks so much, Roger. Very kind of you, my friend. I'll check to see if I can do that with photobucket from now on.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

It's a bunch of musicians.  I thought that was a given.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:
Strummerboy Bill wrote:

It's a bunch of musicians.  I thought that was a given.

HAHAHAHA! Good one, Zurf

True story: In one of the most recent bands I was in we used to have to bail the lead guitarist out of jail to make the gigs.

Yup. He was awesome.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass