Topic: Seagull Merlin -- Woohoo!

Hello smile   Having failed to get any good at playing a guitar sad   I today found and pounced upon the sweetest, simple,  little instrument, kind of a dulcimer/banjo/baby guitar cross, and oh man, is it ever fun!  Even I can manage to get some music out of it already.  Bonus:  It's made here in Canada : )
Anyone else have one?  Or a similar instrument?  I'm hoping to find some simplified songs that will work on this baby.  Maybe I will learn about Tabs yet!
Thanks,
Elly in Nanaimo, BC

Re: Seagull Merlin -- Woohoo!

Hi Elly, and Welcome to the Chordie Forum!

Got me curious, so I checked them out...... kind of a "stretched" version of a Mountain Dulcimer and generally tuned DAD same-same as three strings with the doublet course in the high D.  Sadly I don't see Dulcimer listed in our index of instruments for easy display of music listed here on Chordie.  But there are lots of resources out there in "webland" devoted to the instrument and music.  One would think that you could use the standard chords here and just play the chord shapes associated with Dulcimer which are generally one or two finger combinations and fairly easy to master (with practice as with all stringed instruments)..... and yes maybe a bit of Tab to get the harmonies down.

Sounds like you have a nice addition to your arsenal, and wishing you many years of enjoyment!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi Doug, Thanks for your response.

Yes, it seems the Merlin is good for a lot of folks including those of us who, while otherwise reasonably competent, are somehow "guitar-challenged."  I'm hoping this instrument and experience will get me past my present block.  But meantime it's way too much fun to think that far ahead.  I figure I'll be logging a lot of hours, and that is great.  I'm thinking of sending one to my granddaughters.  What a great intro to stringed instruments.

Yes, you are right -- DAD.  "Three" strings, two notes -- apparently what I can handle -- amazingly freeing and versatile.  It's also amazing how much resonance the little unit produces, and how lovely they are, and so affordable.  They are new, only came out a year ago, but are really catching on so I was hoping to prompt interest here and even a separate section to help us newbs along.  There is indeed a lot of stuff to wade through on the 'net, ahem ...  But not on Chordie, which of course is the best.  I used to come here often and now will be back again.

Back to my noodling . . .

Cheers!    Elly

Google has a forum for Merlin that is free and you might find interesting. Lots of info and even a free ten -song book.

On, and by the way....just obtained a spruce top Merlin 2weeks ago and having much noodling fun. Can even play Aura Lee, Amazing Grace and ode to Joy on my Merlin (I am not a musician or even played instruments before). Congrats on your new friend acquisition!

First time I've heard of either Seagull or Merlin. They look very portable and a lot of fun. I'll keep an eye out here in the UK.

Thick as two short planks

Hi Diane : )  Yes, thanks, I am a member of the Merlin site on Google.  You will find lots of songs and videos and other stuff there.  Enjoy!  I hope your Merlin works out very well for you.  And thanks for posting!

Hello to Nottingham : )
Seagull is one line of a Canadian guitar maker with many well-respected lines of quality guitars.  They brought out their version of this fun little instrument which I have since found has been around is various forms elsewhere.  Many people have been making great music with Merlins, SirAnt/JustAnt on YouTube, for example.  Alas, some instruments, including mine, require an intonation adjustment, something not easily accomplished.  At first, before I understood the situation, this proved to be terribly confusing and frustrating, but then was a great chance to learn about stringed instruments.  There was a long thread on the Google Merlin site.  I do hope the company has resolved the issue.  I will get back to the Merlin, including how to fix it, but in the meantime for me it served as a springboard and got me back to playing bass and then guitar which I have been pursuing seriously.  I do keep an eye on the Merlinites, though.  A lot of good stuff there.  Cheers!

Just had a look at Seagulls impressive range of instruments. I see the Merlin is on sale over here @ £129, not much at all really.
Do I need one? No
Do I want one? Yes
Will I have one? Probably, at that price what can you lose, and it won't be long before Santa's coming so I may even get one in my Christmas stocking.

Thick as two short planks

10 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-08-25 21:29:16)

Welcome to Chordie, EllySun, from a fellow-Canuck on the east Coast.

Not familiar with the "Merlin", but it looks like a cool instrument. My classical guitar is a LaPatrie, which as you know is another part of that whole Godin group of builders of which Seagull is a part (along with Norman, Simon & Patrick, and Art & Lutherie). I've often wondered what some of our other west coast softwoods would be like for guitar building, such as Douglas Fir or Redwood. A lot of Western Red Cedar is used for tops, like my LaPatrie ... very warm tone.

So that's a plug for some of our fine Canadian-made guitars! I hope our Chordie friends will forgive this bit of indulgence. :-)

ACOUSTICS:  Cordoba D10-CE / LaPatrie "Concert" / Takamine GD30CE-12 / Norman ST30
ELECTRICS:  EP Les Paul Custom Pro / Gretsch Streamliner G2420T
AMPS:  Traynor YCS50 / Peavey VK212 / Traynor AM150T
EFFECTS: Boss ME-80 Multi-effects / Ibanez WD7 wah

I would appreciate your help.  I am looking for songbooks with both chords and lyrics for the Merlin.

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

garygetsmail@hotmail.com  Phone is 5202470858.

THANK YOU!

Gary Schwendiman
Tucson, Arizona

Hi Gary and welcome to Chordie!  I know that Godin publishes some song books specifically for the Merlin, and you can get some good information from the Merlin Community forum (I see you also posted a query on that site as well).  If this is a new journey for you, it might do to get a basic understanding of the tuning and interval of the instrument, along with a bit of theory as to the "building" of chords.  With that you can easily transpose music from guitar/ukelele/dulcimer etc and add them toyour repertoir.

Chordie can to some transposition into other instruments and tuning, but as the Merlin is basically a 3 string dulcimer (with the high D a doublet) I'm not sure if there is anything in the arsenal within the chordie " Machine" that would exactly fit the Merlin. Might try it though!

Good Luck!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Gary, welcome to the forum. I very highly suggest that you pull your personal information off of the public portion of the board lest you start to get spammed and text messaged to death. We do our best to control SPAM around here but nothing can stop them from scraping these boards.

BGD

This looks like a lot of fun.
The perfect christmas gift
GIVE MUSIC!

Demos of original songs.
[url]https://soundcloud.com/rough-as-gut[/url]