Re: Backyard Gathering 2015 - Chordie Friends

I have thought about it but it never materialized. Sounds great

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Pick a date Joe - I'm in!!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Amy, found out this morning that the knee replacement surgery I've been needing is scheduled for June 22.  The surgeon I talked to said if I follow the rehab instructions properly I should be getting along fine in mid-August, so unless there are problems/complications I'm still planning on attending. Jen may come along too if we can get someone to watch our two little pooches while we're gone.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:

The surgeon I talked to said if I follow the rehab instructions properly I should be getting along fine in mid-August,

DE

Several years back a friend had both knees done, and walked into my shop with 2 canes for assist at week #2....... visited again after playing 9 holes of golf (for the first time in over 15 years) at the end of week #6.  Last time I saw him he was jogging and cursing himself for not having them done sooner.  Sadly he passed away a couple of years later of a massive heart attack!  Too much jogging I'm guessing.

Do what the Doc says, and don't scimp on the physical therapy (even if it hurts a little).  I'd be in a wheelchair still if it wasn't for a good man with a knife and the encouragement of a very good PT staff.  OK maybe a little Prayer for good measure.....

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:
Dirty Ed wrote:

The surgeon I talked to said if I follow the rehab instructions properly I should be getting along fine in mid-August,

DE

Several years back a friend had both knees done, and walked into my shop with 2 canes for assist at week #2....... visited again after playing 9 holes of golf (for the first time in over 15 years) at the end of week #6.  Last time I saw him he was jogging and cursing himself for not having them done sooner.  Sadly he passed away a couple of years later of a massive heart attack!  Too much jogging I'm guessing.

Do what the Doc says, and don't scimp on the physical therapy (even if it hurts a little).  I'd be in a wheelchair still if it wasn't for a good man with a knife and the encouragement of a very good PT staff.  OK maybe a little Prayer for good measure.....

Doug

Thanks Doug.  My father-in-law had both knees done at the same time and was walking a mile a day within a few weeks. He said he was glad he had them both done at once as the pain was so bad, if he had only done one he may not have wanted to do the second one later.  A few friends have had their's done more recently and did not experience nearly as much pain.  I'm guessing the methods for performing the procedure have improved.  With a high school track and a bike path nearby, along with my stationary bike, I don't have any excuses for avoiding the PT.  A few years ago I had an operation on the same knee and had to undergo a few weeks of PT.  When the doc told me I was good to go for riding a bike, I told him I had been riding for two weeks and had done 26 miles the day before I saw him. smile

The only regrets I have is that I should have agreed to have the knee replacement done a few years ago when my doc first suggested it and I still had good insurance.  I turned 65 this year and was dropped from my old employer's insurance since I was eligible for medicare. What could have been done last year for the cost of a cheap Luna will probably hit my wallet for the price of Martin D-42 now......

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

DE - Absolutely health first.  Sounds like you should be in good shape by then though.  My fingers are crossed for a speedy recovery! 

Let Jen know that if she's up for camping - there's a State park nearby that allows dogs (Verona Beach State Park), as does my yard!  I'm not sure on the little motels around, but I'm 99% sure that the Days Inn in Canastota (next to the I90 thruway exit and across from the Boxing Hall of Fame - 15 minute drive from my house) does!  I do have a rescued pit bull that doesn't take nicely to other dogs very quickly, but I don't let her run without being tied up very often (last thing she needs is to bring a bad name to her breed just because some morons raised her wrong).  I have no problem at all keeping her on the run/mostly in the house.  I generally do anyway, for her own safety.  Our pug would love the company of some other dogs closer to his size.  wink  Unfortunately, we haven't gotten the yard fenced in as of yet.  However, we have just shy of an acre and the back is bordered by trees.  There's plenty of space to tie the pooches up or plop one of those cork screw deals into the yard (if you don't mind fighting with rocks).  I know how difficult it is to get away when you have kids, or dogs.  It's all the same in the end.  Please, feel free to bring them along if you think they can handle the traveling.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Well Dirty Ed, when it comes to pain management I learned that two vicodin washed down by a glass of bourbon on the rocks works great.  It's best to do that in a hammock, because you're probably not going to move for a few hours afterwards. 

Good luck with the knee replacement.  I'll miss you on the Potomac, but would rather have you healthy and strong than not.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

My Dad got married over the weekend, and I saw a bunch of my cousins that I hadn't in a while.  One's husband is a drummer in a band (and can sing fairly well).  I heard the others CAN sing too... but they didn't join in on the Karaoke (yep, Karaoke at a wedding... we do weddings in STYLE baby!  LOL!).  They can't wait to visit again, so it's likely I'll have some extended family here too for the backyard gathering.  We've still got a family reunion to go to in July where we've all been asked to bring our guitars.  There's a good chance additional invites could be handed out there too.  I have a feeling this gathering is going to get a bit larger than originally thought!  I'm pretty excited about it though! 

Guitars, Friends, and Family.  smile  My kind of good!

Sounds like a great time, Cousin ! smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

Sounds like a great time, Cousin ! smile

What scares me the most, is that my Dad's side of the family is SO HUGE... we COULD actually be related and not know it.  Please... tell me you'll be at a reunion in Darien that same day!  wink

Heads up!  I just sent out an email to all of you that said you MIGHT make it (and those of you that didn't say, but I *think you might) --- Looks like I've got maybe's and yesses from:  Ken, Dave, Joe, Jim K., Roger and Robert

If you are actually a maybe or a yes and I you're not in that list - PLEASE let me know so I can make sure you've got the actual address and phone numbers to reach us.  About 2 months to go!  Whoop Whoop!

Amy I am positive I will not be there but I will whoop whoop for all the fun you will be having I can taste the Bbq so I am envious.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

We're just about a month away from the get together now!  If anyone is thinking of coming that hasn't received details from me via email, please let me know!

Went to the family reunion over the weekend.  It was nice to see people I haven't in while, and those who I don't remember seeing since I was my kids age.  My more immediate family sat under a shade tree away from everything.  After a bit, I got out my guitar.  Dad and I took turns playing.  I was in the groove.  A bit into it, I got up to stretch my legs ... only to find 2-3 rows of seating had appeared and filled up behind us!  Ha!  Everyone that was still there had brought their chairs over and set up behind us to listen.  Ha!  Apparently the crowd didn't want to face the sun anymore than I did.  We did turn a bit so they could hear better.  There was signing along, clapping, and a good time.  smile  It's nice to be appreciated, but more than that, it's nice to be able to provide that to people while enjoying it myself. 

Looking forward to August!!!!

https://htu.at/pub/Frauen/WebHome/like.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Are there camping grounds near your home?  For an rv?   I missed out on previous events and would like to get to at least one.  You guys always have fun.   So if there are and my schedule will allow, I going to try again.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

Gabby!  I thought I was the lone she-wolf in the pack!  Glad to see you around again.  big_smile

There are TONS of RV sites around here!!  It's like RV heaven with the lake and all the little creeks that lead into it.  BUT - we're only a hair over 2 weeks away, so it may be tricky.  I'll send you an email with info!

42 (edited by dino48 2015-07-30 00:59:15)

OOOOoooooouch I do hope we will get to see some pictures and maybe some video. Fearless leader is still coming right (Roger Guppy)? Well at least we have pre season football coming up.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

OOOOoooooouch I do hope we will get to see some pictures and maybe some video.

Well............. since she'll be at home MKM won't be able to say she forgot her video camera. smile

dino48 wrote:

OOOOoooooouch I do hope we will get to see some pictures and maybe some video. Fearless leader is still coming right (Roger Guppy)? Well at least we have pre season football coming up.

Although I like the "Fearless Leader" title, that belongs to Per and not I, I am merely the longest serving (still active) minion big_smile

But yes, I am still coming, the plane ticket was paid for months ago and I am now beginning to get quite excited.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

dino48 wrote:

I am quite sure there will be some form of media to share with everyone when all is said and done.  smile

Thanks Amy.

Roger Guppy wrote:
dino48 wrote:

Although I like the "Fearless Leader" title, that belongs to Per and not I, I am merely the longest serving (still active) minion big_smile

But yes, I am still coming, the plane ticket was paid for months ago and I am now beginning to get quite excited.

Roger

Then you must be the wizard!!

Um, I mentioned this before, but no one ever answered yea or nay.

Since we can't be there, could we both maybe give y'all a short call during your get together just to wish you guys and ladies a good time? wink

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Hey Bill!  As soon as I get Roger acclimated to Eastern Standard Time - we'll be sure to hook Skype up!  Yeah - I'm sure we'll be able to find some time to say HI on the "big day".  I've made sure there's at least a bit of a WIFI signal in the back yard. You gotta add me on your skype tho still.  Or ... maybe if I'm feeling particularly perky I'll get the whole streaming thing going on youtube.  We'll see how busy it gets here for me playing hostess.

Oooh! A Skype broadcast? Include me in!

We can beat them just for one day
We can be heroes just for one day

RIP Bowie