Re: Songwriting experiment for Chordians

Tenement Funster wrote:

UncleJoe & KIR ...way to go for pulling this all together!

Phill made a comment about this being a USA - Europe collaboration. I hope Canada gets an honorable mention somewhere, eh? big_smile

How about a chordie collaboration? smile

So has anyone worked on genre label or putting melody to it yet?

I played around with a quick tempo, bluegrass feel but it just didn't seem to come together the way I thought it would.

I been messing around with a simple
Structure,D,Bm,G,A.
Then using a rather loose open C,G,F on the chorus. I was thinking more early 60s Beach Boys style, as they were always singing about hot rods,muscle cars etc.
But open to all ideas.

Thick as two short planks

On the first verse I'm starting in D then Bm, both down the neck on the 2nd fret (ok strictly speaking the bottom A is played open on the D chord).
The second verse
Playing the D and Bm from the 5th & 7th fret respectively.

The verse starting
I was off down the straight etc.
Completely lost, can anyone help?

I absolutely love the idea of a "Beach Boys" feel for it ... never even thought of that.

Nice job folks - love the lyrics. Waiting for a recording?

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I sent this to my brother. He whipped out a rough melody on Mixcraft that he thought may be able to be adjusted to fit this. He sent it to me as an MP3 but I can't do anything but listen to it. Can I send it to one of you techno wizards to listen to?

Can't help with that one UJB. As a confirmed technophobic, last night I tried to upload a new song I just wrote to YouTube. But due to my very slow internet speeds and even slower brain cell I just gave up, but good luck and I'll look forward to listening to it.

Any news on how our collaboration is progressing? I've tried putting some music to it, but it all sounds crappy ... never was good at that.

Hi T F. I sort of got the simple cho pro for most of it. Struggling a bit with the middle section, I think it may need rewriting. Then of course theirs the instrumental break, I normally work with acoustic, but think electric would be better due to the theme of the song.
The big problem is my internet connection, it is just so slow and unreliable. I have to do most of my online work, including this, from my mobile phone. My contract finishes in June so I'll be able to shop around for something a bit more suitable, till then their isn't much chance of uploading anything.

Hey Chordians - wait til' you hear Roger's version - it is REALLY REALLY GOOD.   I am so glad he did it.... Makes the whole experiment a success. Thanks to everybody for playing along with the idea.   I say we dedicate it  to Phil for the car concept, Graham for the mini idea, Roger for " making it real"  and  to all of you that contributed lines and ideas.   Thanks again to all

Jim

He's going to post it.  smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

OK I had some time on my hands yesterday so I decided to look at this collaboration.

Here then is the result of my time spent and my interpretation of this song. I made some minor changes  for it to fit my music, the biggest change was having to make one verse into two smile.

The drum and bass are courtesy of Band-in-a-Box but only I can take the blame for the guitar work and vocals lol.....

My recording is here: https://soundcloud.com/roger-guppy/mini-mized

Roger

You've Been Mini-Mized a Chordie family collaboration

[D][E][A][F#m][D][E][A]

I [A]moved on down to where hot [F#m]cars were racing,

Big [D]dirty engines throwing up [E]smoke,

[A]Everyone laughed at my [F#m]little Mini Cooper,

Said it [D]looked like a [E]bit of a [A]joke.

Behind [A]Porche and Ferarri I [F#m]took up my place,

As we [D]waited for green lights to start the [E]race,

They [A]thought I was beat 'coz they were [F#m]super sized,

But [D] they were 'bout to[E] get mini-[A]mized.

To [D]win any [E]race you just [A]gotta be [F#m]wise,

Don't [D]matter how [E]big those other [A]guys,

'Coz [D]big ones [E]fall, even [A]super[F#m]sized,

A [D]thing I like to [E]call, you bin mini-[A]mized.[A]

I was [A]off down the straight like a [F#m]bat out of hell,

And I [D]knew that this could be [E]fun,

And [A]one by one the big boys [F#m]fell,

As I [D]let those [E]horses [A]run.

I'll wipe that [A]smile from your face you [F#m]big disgrace,

Coz [D]everyone can [E]see,

This is [A]no chariot race and you [F#m]can't keep pace,

With my [D] little Mini [E]Cooper and [A]me.

I was [A]red lined in third so I [F#m]slammed it into fourth,

The [D]flames from my pipes blew like a [E]torch,

Layin' [A]rubber in fourth as I [F#m]aimed for the line,

I [D]knew that I'd left the [E]big boys be[A]hind.

To [D]win any [E]race you just [A]gotta be [F#m]wise,

Don't [D]matter how [E]big those other [A]guys,

'Coz [D]big ones [E]fall, even [A]super[F#m]sized,

A [D]thing I like to [E]call, you bin mini-[A]mized,

[D]You've [E]been mini-[A]mized.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Downright awesome ... very nicely done, Roger! I'm pleased, proud, and honoured to have been a small part of this. By the way, you have a terrific voice ... I can't hit most of those notes in your vocal register.

Sounds Great!

I think I'll play around with it tonight.  smile

39 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-04-24 23:43:54)

I left my comments on Sound Cloud, guys, but this thing sounds FANTASTIC and I can tell I have some greatly talented friends here -- both as lyricists and performers.

So we have a band name, a song and hopefully, many more to come?

As the tunes are created, y'all could use your talents as producers/engineers to polish them and pretty soon we'd have a CD/Streaming work we could call "The Chordians: Greatest Hits Vol. I". The songs could feature the whole group and single artists such as Amy and Peter. Y'all could each "tape" your parts and then one of you technical gurus could mix it.

Our POS (point of sale) could be right here, and sales could benefit a charity and to pay for the site, if needed.

I'm dreaming, right? smile

Still, I'd like to see it happen and I would be the first in line to buy the cd.

I really, really, really love this tune. smile

Congratulations to everyone who worked on it! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Ive just listened to this on sound cloud well done Roger it works so well ,I think perhaps a you tube vid of some old footage from the hey day of the minis success would result in a lot of exposure,Russell your video skills are needed.

Thanks guys for your over generous comments about my music and recording. I posted elsewhere that I had not done anything for a while, mainly because I am not good at writing lyrics, so you guys gave an ideal platform to start from.

If anyone else has a different idea of how this song should be please get writing your music, make your own arrangement and recording, I would be more than pleased to hear it. I remember several years ago James McCormick wrote a song which he, Ken (Upyerkilt) and I recorded independently and three very different songs emerged from the same chords and lyrics. So don't be shy smile.

Thanks again

Roger

42 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-04-25 16:20:03)

Sorry! I have a tendency to get a little "over the top" sometimes with my praise.

This just reminds me of "finding the groove",  a term I know only true musicians know about.

For example one night the band and I were playing "Waitin' On The Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago", when something happened to all of us and we wound up playing that song combination for 30 minutes and the crowd was getting off and we were getting off on the crowd getting off!

Since I don't play in a band anymore, this is what I'm talking about with this song. You guys all found your "groove".

And I got shivers when I heard Roger singing and playing this song all of you had written. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Grah1 wrote:

Ive just listened to this on sound cloud well done Roger it works so well ,I think perhaps a you tube vid of some old footage from the hey day of the minis success would result in a lot of exposure,Russell your video skills are needed.

Yeah, and preferably with numbers on the side of the Minis, right, Graham? smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Well done Roger. The mini coopers are a lot of fun too drive.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Just heard Mini- Mized. I absolutely cannot believe it. Roger those vocals make what bit of hair I got left stand onend. The ararrangement, I am so awestruck,  so gobsmacked.  I am so humbled and honoured to have been allowed to be involved. Thank you all.

I think we should send a demo to the Mini Cooper company - they might like to make a video of it for a commercial.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

47 (edited by keepitreal 2015-04-26 12:34:32)

A great idea, theirs nothing to lose by doing that.

Good job and well done to all that contributed to the song.
It brought back memories of past Chordie collaborations mainly brought together by Roger.
Is the "The friends of Chordie" website on myspace still around?
I know artists Myspace has become almost unusable due to adds etc. A shame as it was the home of most Chordie collaborations in the past.
Anyway hope to see more.
Tony

Nice job Chordians!  (applause, applause)

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hi Ark,

Friends of Chordie is still active on MySpace but I have not accessed it for ages and, when I did to put this song up, I found it was a nightmare to use so I abandoned the idea. It took me ages to find 'Wrapped in Happiness' and I gave up trying to find the others on there.

Roger