1 (edited by Russell_Harding 2015-06-17 16:26:04)

Topic: Older new amp day

I wanted this so I got it today a Marshall amp
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/11401436_10206962697844679_4294905431998081847_n.jpg?oh=91bf930a2506987fbd74729593dea45c&oe=55F7DB5A

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/11401478_10207008072819025_8248678404739564849_n.jpg?oh=13966b6f4391db51c615efa8a4e4a297&oe=55F6CD51

It's alive! really surprised me at the fantastic sound and shape it is in tons of power.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Older new amp day

Coolness!

Description?

We can beat them just for one day
We can be heroes just for one day

RIP Bowie

3 (edited by Russell_Harding 2015-06-11 06:12:35)

Cocktailsfor2 wrote:

Coolness!

Description?

It is a Marshall AVT 20 I got it on Ebay for 200 + free shipping it will sound nice with all my effects I may put in a newer speaker or two I dont know till after I play thru it. This was sitting in a Pawn shop in Texas and the seller has done business with Ebay many times and has a good rating from people who purchased items from him in the past. It has a 10"speaker but I can easily put in a nice 12" and it puts out 20w dirty and clean channels I plan on using it with my Epiphone amp for a miked stereo effect for both recording and performance which will sound cool with delay and stereo chorus effect not to mention my Electro Harmonix C9 I'm going for sound not power.

This is a better and more informative description (not mine)

Model # is AVT20X.  You can pretty much take this amp ANYWHERE. At 20 watts, it's not so loud for practice so you can get bedroom/apartment/wife and family friendly volumes, while still getting a good dose of that signature Marshall sound ! (You can also avoid making ANY enemies at all with the onboard headphone jack ! Sweet !)
But it's loud enough so you can actually take it to band rehearsal with you and she will keep up nicely.  Got a crazy loud drummer that pounds the living tar out of his kit?  NO problem ! Take the extension speaker out, hook the amp up to a 2x12 or 4x12 (or heck, TWO 4x12's if you want a full stack to bury your drummer and that other pesky guitarist!), and you've got INSTANT Marshall Stack sound !  Amazing!

This also means that you are covered at all but the biggest venues or stadiums !  Sound guy hard to please?  No problem, keep your 4x12 onstage for looks and just mic this amp directly and you are covered for the entire gig !  Play this amp of course for its coveted overdrive, but the clean sound is very useable, and is a terrific platform for pedals !

One of the best  of the 2000s, reportedly used by Incubus and Zakk Wylde. Powerful yet crisp and clean, perfect for everything. Tube preamp is incredible, but without ever having to replace expensive power amp tubes.

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-06-11 09:59:25)

Mmmmmmmmm ... a Marshall tube amp! Delicious!

They could use you to write ads for them, Russell. Or maybe you need that "Drummer Silencer" pedal that I posted in your DigiTech Trio thread. big_smile

5 (edited by Cocktailsfor2 2015-06-11 11:47:51)

It is a Marshall AVT 20 I got it on Ebay for 200 + free shipping it will sound nice with all my effects I may put in a newer speaker or two I dont know till after I play thru it. This was sitting in a Pawn shop in Texas and the seller has done business with Ebay many times and has a good rating from people who purchased items from him in the past. It has a 10"speaker but I can easily put in a nice 12" and it puts out 20w dirty and clean channels I plan on using it with my Epiphone amp for a miked stereo effect for both recording and performance which will sound cool with delay and stereo chorus effect not to mention my Electro Harmonix C9 I'm going for sound not power.

Sounds like you've got a plan in place!

I particularly liked in your original post where you said

I wanted this so I got it today...

- it sounded like you had the proverbial "wild hair up your a$$" and saw it/bought it. I was in my local Guitar Center recently (I know, I know... "big-box store - hiss, boo!" but I happened to be in there because there was a ridiculous sale on a Simmons drum kit - $199!), and while wandering through the acoustic guitar room saw a used acoustic electric bass for $89, so though I really didn't need it, I got a "wild hair up my azz" and put a deposit on it. I get to pick it up tomorrow (it's on their version of consignment, the seller has 30 days to change their mind about selling it), which is fine since I'm going for a cortisone shot in my right forearm today and won't be playing for a day or so, anyway...

RIP Bowie

Congrats on the new amp Russell. A few years ago I heard a group playing thru Marshalls with Fender Squire guitars. The sound was amazing, the guitars just rang. I asked them later if they did any changes to the guitars, they said No they were stock Squires. Enjoy yours Russell.

Joe

Cocktailsfor2 wrote:

Sounds like you've got a plan in place!

I particularly liked in your original post where you said

I wanted this so I got it today...

- it sounded like you had the proverbial "wild hair up your a$$" and saw it/bought it. I was in my local Guitar Center recently (I know, I know... "big-box store - hiss, boo!" but I happened to be in there because there was a ridiculous sale on a Simmons drum kit - $199!), and while wandering through the acoustic guitar room saw a used acoustic electric bass for $89, so though I really didn't need it, I got a "wild hair up my azz" and put a deposit on it. I get to pick it up tomorrow (it's on their version of consignment, the seller has 30 days to change their mind about selling it), which is fine since I'm going for a cortisone shot in my right forearm today and won't be playing for a day or so, anyway...

yep that about sums it up I aint getting any younger and there are no pockets in the coffin LOL

Tenement Funster wrote:

They could use you to write ads for them, Russell. Or maybe you need that "Drummer Silencer" pedal that I posted in your DigiTech Trio thread. big_smile

TF when I finish setting up my new recording studio/video layout it will get a lot of use smile

Tyson7 wrote:

Congrats on the new amp Russell. A few years ago I heard a group playing thru Marshalls with Fender Squire guitars. The sound was amazing, the guitars just rang. I asked them later if they did any changes to the guitars, they said No they were stock Squires. Enjoy yours Russell.

Joe

Joe what convinced me was the 2hr + concert I watched on you tube of AC/DC raw power sound Marshalls everywhere

I also   picked up  a new  practice  amp  a couple  of  days  ago   ,a Kustom 10 watt for  next  to  nothing  sounds  great   plenty  loud  enough  for in the  house

Grah1 wrote:

I also   picked up  a new  practice  amp  a couple  of  days  ago   ,a Kustom 10 watt for  next  to  nothing  sounds  great   plenty  loud  enough  for in the  house

I had a Kustom with pleats lol a bottom and a amp head it was like hauling Robby the Robot around to gigs lol

Russell_Harding wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:

TF when I finish setting up my new recording studio/video layout it will get a lot of use smile

It looks like Marshall has replaced the AVTs with their DSL series. Is yours a full tube unit, or a hybrid? I've always preferred the sound of a Marshall tube amp over a Fender tube. I know the Fender Twin is a "go to" amp for a lot of players, but I just find the Marshall JVMs have more growl.

Tenement Funster wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:

It looks like Marshall has replaced the AVTs with their DSL series. Is yours a full tube unit, or a hybrid? I've always preferred the sound of a Marshall tube amp over a Fender tube. I know the Fender Twin is a "go to" amp for a lot of players, but I just find the Marshall JVMs have more growl.

TF From the description as I understand the amp has a tube preamp so hybrid makes sense I had a Fender twin and a Hot rod deluxe deville the hot rod kicked butt. My plan for this amp is to use it in stereo with my Epiphone if I need to play a large venue they can mic it.

It lives! My Marshall came today and I plugged in the Les Paul and was totally blown away by the sound both the clean and dirty setting just amazed me tons of power and squeals I was really impressed with the shape it is in like new happy day! smile
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10407939_10207008075899102_709651011720109903_n.jpg?oh=d6555c998398c6aeaaea4130bed6af28&oe=5631CA4F

Happy new amp day Russell, bet that would sound great with some Credence Clearwater/john fogerty songs.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

Happy new amp day Russell, bet that would sound great with some Credence Clearwater/john fogerty songs.

Thanks dino yeah it has that sound jammed a bit today with the trio and my new amp running it stereo very spacious sound not everyday you pick up a Marshall for $200 and free shipping that looks and plays like new smile

NICE - Congrats Russell!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

NICE - Congrats Russell!

Thank you I lucked out finding this at the right price I am going to have to rearrange all the amps and speakers but that is a labor of love smile

Congratulations!

It's so gratifying, such a wonderful feeling to be able to acquire something one has had one's eyes on (and one's heart set on) for any length of time.

...I am going to have to rearrange all the amps and speakers but that is a labor of love smile

Something tells me you'll make short work of that! wink
Enjoy!

RIP Bowie

Cocktailsfor2 wrote:

Congratulations!

It's so gratifying, such a wonderful feeling to be able to acquire something one has had one's eyes on (and one's heart set on) for any length of time.

...I am going to have to rearrange all the amps and speakers but that is a labor of love smile

Something tells me you'll make short work of that! wink
Enjoy!

I make a list of things each night to do the following day it helps to organize my time which is a precious commodity when you get to 73 and today is cloudy with rain expected times a wastin  lol

I make a list of things each night to do the following day..

I try doing that, but the things that remain undone pile up to the next day, and the next... Then I get frustrated and collapse in a heap. Maybe by the time I hit 73, I'll get it right, like you do... wink

RIP Bowie

Lots of power in that amp, is there? I hope you can stay on good terms with your neighbors. I wanted to ask about your Les Paul ... is that the edition with the Classic '57 pickups in it? They're silky smooth sounding!

Tenement Funster wrote:

Lots of power in that amp, is there? I hope you can stay on good terms with your neighbors. I wanted to ask about your Les Paul ... is that the edition with the Classic '57 pickups in it? They're silky smooth sounding!

TF I am on good terms I only practice or record in the day when I practice new material or my current Travis picking style manual I use my acoustic or earphones. My new Les Paul Deluxe has redesigned the pickups, nut and neck I will look for a link that can give the lowdown on it for you. smile