1 (edited by Grah1 2015-06-26 23:25:08)

Topic: The Labyrinth

I visited  a  housing  estate  today  in a  depressed area  and  wrote this .

The Labyrinth
Em                          C
Housing estates and kids without purpose,
      D                      Em
roaming the streets just out of control.
Em                           C
Time to establish a route for their energy
     D                                     Em
Something that’s better than kicking a ball.

C                                  D
Bins overflowing, and windows still broken
Em                         C
who wants to live in this labyrinth
  C                                D
to find the way out they need education
      C                                             Em
but some things sound better when said to yourself

Em                                C
The mother of triplets is having another,
D                               Em
she cant look after the ones that she has.
Em                                                C
She hopes that they’ll grow up and help one another,
D                              Em
maybe to somebody’s purse or a bag.

Em                                     C
Police are all frightened to enter the area,
   D                                           Em
totally oblivious to what might be wrong.
Em                                      C
A young man lies bleeding, stabbed by his playmates
   D                                 Em
some one should publicise what’s going on.

Maybe its just me, but I don’t think so,
D                                Em
that things were better when I was young
Em                                    C
Looks like our values have been overtaken,
D                                 Em
nobody cares that the damage is done.

Em                        C
You politicians just don’t give a bugger,
D                                       Em
as long as your pockets and coffers are full.
Em                                     C
You turn all the people face down in the gutter,
    D                                          Em
and bugger them senseless each day till you come!!!!

Re: The Labyrinth

I seem to get a feel of Won't Get Fooled Again, just my thought. I really enjoyed reading this Graham.

the chordie geordie

I  never  thought  of  it  that  way   but  maybe . It  came  out  as a  folk  song  in my  head . Feel  free to  add   some  chords

Well-penned observations, Graham. The cruelest monster on this planet is the human being. Give any of us the ability / authority / means to act out of pure self-interest with impunity, and I'm afraid we'd be just as abusive. But for the grace of God ... there go I.

I think it is one of your best songs Graham,I would really like too see you do it. We call them the Ghettoes over here. Politicans are cochroaches!!!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks  Guys  I  need  to  sort  the  music  out  now  ,couple  of days  yet  .

I like the writing as well Graham, it is very, very  poignant and astute . 

I believe there are several root problems, which includes what Dino alluded to - political failure (politicians that run for office making empty promises that never are fulfilled), as well as individual failure and motivation. But even that ( individual failure)  is rooted deeply in government failure, as (at least in the U.S.) we provide gobs of money and benefits to those who are less fortunate - for doing nothing ( and in some cases it the amount they receive is based on the number of children - hence - they just keep having them. . A person that is a desperate situation has little motivation to seek employment when they can make more at home receiving welfare benefits.  The rich ( including the politicians don't care b/c they have great lawyers and accountants to figure their way around financial responsibility, and pass it along to the working class to provide the tax funding. If you think about the gov't housing projects that you visited, it is really a unique plan by politicians and the wealthy to contain what they view as lower class citizens and a social disease  into one carefully selected area - away from where they live.

Now don't get my message wrong, I am firmly supportive of aiding individuals families lies that are in need and are attempting to find a better life, but those that sit back and just rape the gov't assistant plans are leeches.   I totally agree that education is a major tool that has to be improved in many cases, but  I believe taking action against the rampant drug problems in these areas is more urgent and vital. But as you indicated, police are not interested in going into those areas,  due to safety of course, but I think more so b/c of learned helplessness over the past decades. Simply put - their risks are not worth the rewards in those areas.

Ok - off my soapbox ---- Great literature on a social situation Graham - can't wait to hear the soulful music you attach to the message.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thanks tig,The song seems to have provoked a lot of responses both here and on facebook,its great to get this sort of feed back I had felt recently that my song writing had fell into the doldrums then suddenly inspiration .Thanks again for the comments

TIGLJK wrote:

I like the writing as well Graham, it is very, very  poignant and astute . 

I believe there are several root problems, which includes what Dino alluded to - political failure (politicians that run for office making empty promises that never are fulfilled), as well as individual failure and motivation. But even that ( individual failure)  is rooted deeply in government failure, as (at least in the U.S.) we provide gobs of money and benefits to those who are less fortunate - for doing nothing ( and in some cases it the amount they receive is based on the number of children - hence - they just keep having them. . A person that is a desperate situation has little motivation to seek employment when they can make more at home receiving welfare benefits.  The rich ( including the politicians don't care b/c they have great lawyers and accountants to figure their way around financial responsibility, and pass it along to the working class to provide the tax funding. If you think about the gov't housing projects that you visited, it is really a unique plan by politicians and the wealthy to contain what they view as lower class citizens and a social disease  into one carefully selected area - away from where they live.

Now don't get my message wrong, I am firmly supportive of aiding individuals families lies that are in need and are attempting to find a better life, but those that sit back and just rape the gov't assistant plans are leeches.   I totally agree that education is a major tool that has to be improved in many cases, but  I believe taking action against the rampant drug problems in these areas is more urgent and vital. But as you indicated, police are not interested in going into those areas,  due to safety of course, but I think more so b/c of learned helplessness over the past decades. Simply put - their risks are not worth the rewards in those areas.

Ok - off my soapbox ---- Great literature on a social situation Graham - can't wait to hear the soulful music you attach to the message.

Jim

Tig I agree with all you said above that is a good soap box speech.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi Graham
Can you add some chords to your song as per Chordie guidelines for songs posted in the songwriting section thanks.
Great set of meaningfull lyrics well done
ark

11 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-06-26 20:54:06)

TIGLJK wrote:

"Now don't get my message wrong, I am firmly supportive of aiding individuals families lies that are in need and are attempting to find a better life, but those that sit back and just rape the gov't assistant plans are leeches."

Biological Definition of Parasite: an organism that takes more from it's environment than it adds to it

Hi  ark Ive  got  them worked  out now  will do

chords now  added

Thanks Graham.
"Edited by ark"

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XKLFKGNa3M

Grah, you're on a roll my friend. You seem to have found your niche and you've hit the ground running.
Congrats.

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thanks  Phill your comments are always gratefully  received and  appreciated .

Nice job Graham.
Well done
ark