1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-07-24 00:11:38)

Topic: Have You Ever Cried During Someone's Performance Of A Song?

I have.

Maybe it's just my feminine side coming out (yuk-yuk), but when I hear someone's performance of a particular song, sometimes it touches me so deeply the only way I can express it is with tears.

Before I name them, I'll need to let you know these are not the originals, but just folks with whom I have come in contact, whether in a bar, small congregation (yup, sometimes "She Who Must Be Obeyed" manages to drag me to church), a campfire, and sometimes just in my face.

1. A street musician singing "Give Peace A Chance"......... he had the whole street crowd singing with him by the time he segued into "Hey Jude", and I wasn't the only one bawlin' either! He must have made quite a haul that day, that ol' Busk-ard. smile

2. Another street musician who later became a friend and married a friend of mine. This happened in Moenchengladbach, Germany during the time (1990) when I worked for USAir during my "single days" (Dondra and I are remarried, remember.) Ola is Polish and she sang on the sidewalks of Duesseldorf and when I heard her start Almost Heaven, West Virginia, you could have heard my "brakes" skidding, I stopped so fast. I stood, damn tears streaming down my face and when she was done I tipped her 50 Euros.

That night, on duty at the Duesseldorf Airport, I told my friend Uwe about her and how she had mesmerized me, so he came along with me the next day. He wound up inviting her to come to dinner and "meet the folks" and the next thing I knew, she became Frau Uwe Genuit. Sumbitch had married her while I wasn't lookin'.

3. The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (again during my single days) playing the "Moonlight Sonata". At that time, I was seated next to the little girl (now a grown woman) who had accepted my invitation for a visit after I got her a cheaper rate ticket due to my airline employment.

I don't really know why that one started me shedding some tears, but I think it had to do with the "lost years". We left Germany when I was 11.

4. Last but not least --- just today ---- as Dondra and I listened to our Amy singing her songs for us.

I also cry when I hear "The Blue Danube" and other pretty waltzes.

Maybe that's why I never got invited to parties???? wink smile wink

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Have You Ever Cried During Someone's Performance Of A Song?

I alway's cry when I hear Myself sing,cause I can not sing good!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

I alway's cry when I hear Myself sing...

lol lol lol

Sometimes I get a little "TMI". That's the way I am when among friends, I guess. smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Not so much a tear in my eye, but sometimes in the pub Sunday afternoon someone will pass a guitar round. I get a lump in my throat and the voice gets a little wobbly playing Puff the Magic Dragon.

Thick as two short planks

only if it was really bad.

i cried the first time i sang "honey" i was reading the words as i sang it and decided not to sing it again...good plan.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I do have one song that almost brings me too a cry,Hank Williams Im so lonsome I could cry.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

There are 3 pieces of music which nearly always move me to weeping like a baby, and they're all instrumental:

Ralph Vaughan Williams'  "The Lark Ascending"

Camille Saint-Saens   "Third Symphony, 4th movement"

James MacPherson's   "MacPherson's Lament"

9 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-07-27 00:53:39)

"Going Home" --- Otherwise known as  Dvorak's 9th (New World Symphony)

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I saw Willie Nelson a few years ago and the sense of viewing an American Music Legend overwhelmed me for a minute or 2 and some dust must have gotten in my eyes. He's getting up there in age, but still plays and sounds great. I put him in the league of Elvis, Sinatra, Ray Charles - I was very happy to witness this Icon (and from about 20 feet away!)

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

About a dozen years ago I was part of a winter gathering of about 30 fisherman on Dale Hollow Lake in Kentucky.  One night we were gathered in a large party room at the lodge/cabins we were staying at, doing a lot of drinking,joking, telling tale tales and fish stories and having a great time.  Later in the evening a few of us got out our guitars and started a jam session. There were a lot of requests for old bar room country songs, funny songs, etc. with the whole crew loudly singing along on most songs as only a bunch of drunks can do.

About 2 AM one of the guys (a really gifted musician/singer named Ron Sanders) started playing a song written by Robert Blinn/James Moore and recorded by Chet Adkins several years ago called " I Still Can't Say Goodbye". Before the first verse was finished, I looked around the room and saw all those drunken fishermen who had been raising hell only moments before now bawling like babies.  I think my contacts must have been bothering me because I noticed a little moisture in my eyes too.  That was the moment I realized just how powerful a well-written song can be.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=s … mp=yhs-003

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I think my neighbour started peeling onions while I was listening to this......

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Me too, always cry when I listen sad songs which I likes the most. sad

Well... our National Anthem can send chills up my spine when sung well, if I hear taps anywhere near a graveyard, that will do it (no, I wasn't in the military). 

I heard this song a week after losing our daughter, and it still gets me occasionally (she was stillborn, and buried at the foot of her grandpa's grave) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuyzk2K0J0o

And this one gets me (Yes, I like Jo Dee) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_QqUWMgcto

Now ... as far as at actual live performances... I can't recall crying at one, but I'm sure it's had to have happened.  I have a few songs that I have a difficult time getting through when I'm singing and playing them myself.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

15 (edited by TIGLJK 2015-07-28 11:43:37)

Tim McGraw played a song at the CMA's a couple ( maybe more)  years ago... he brought vets and children of fallen soldiers on stage at end.  I was leaking like a broken dam.  I forget the song, but sure wish I had it. If anyone knows what song it was let me know.

I'm an old sentimental anyway.....  I also coach three varsity sports - and I agree with Amy - everytime I hear the National Anthem it gives me chills.

Lastly - one of my favorite instrumentals was Mason Williams - Classical Gas   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREi_Bb85Sk
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke