Topic: "We're LOSING Him! BREATHE, Dagnabbit!"

I put this here because I could find a better place, so if it needs moving, please do it for me, mods? Thanks

==============================================

Okay, what I wanted to write about is the following:

I have lost count of how many Youtube/Soundcloud recordings I have listened to, but in more than just a few I've noticed y'all running out of breath and throwing that little "gasp" in there before the next verse. wink

I'm sure you know that's not cool. Thus having for 17 years worked as a respiratory therapist plus having taught breathing to COPD patients, I'm going to put on my therapists cap (much like a nurses' cap, only different: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_Uh8g_IVzcw8rubqj9IG33cdUHckubJ0Q6i4femkRaiJ0zWmS  and link y'all to a guy on YT who shows us all some nice exercises for singers here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJzflvDTWno.

Think of diaphragmatic exercises as Kegels just a little higher up.

What?

You don't think all I do is just sit here do ya? Gotta work that ol' sphincter muscle too, boys and girls. That's the one you'll need before stepping onstage. big_smile big_smile big_smile

Your friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

2 (edited by Russell_Harding 2015-08-19 04:53:47)

Re: "We're LOSING Him! BREATHE, Dagnabbit!"

Well to be honest this has nothing to do with music Theory so I am sending this jewel to the chat forum

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thank you, Russell. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I had never thought of doing breathing exercises. I think they would benefit my singing and harp playing.

I have noticed over the years that I don't have the lung capacity I used to...along with the hair turning gray and falling out, hearing and eye sight diminishing and other things I can't think of..oh yeah memory.

Thanks for the tip buddy.

Thanks Chordie for the years of music and advise.

Although Bill's point might be a bit obfuscated by his sarcasm, he's right on. Breath control is extremely important. During music school we did a lot of work on this - voice majors had to take classes in it.

There are some other tips that help, such as opening the throat, dropping the jaw and relaxing while you "dump" air in to your lungs, and also a few vocal techniques that help with breath management. But if you don't have the capacity you are going to be stuck with short, choppy phrasing.

Always welcome, Rick.

Re: Lung Capacity (Tidal Volume too). Same here, and I've never smoked. I find myself speaking like John Wayne (favorite movie star - note I did not say actor). Listen to him sometime. You'll hear him running out of air during his speaking. I used to think it sounded cool, until I learned it was short-timed air hunger.

Let me/us know how you do, my friend.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

7 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-19 15:31:49)

Although Bill's point might be a bit obfuscated by his sarcasm, he's right on. Breath control is extremely important. During music school we did a lot of work on this - voice majors had to take classes in it.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

You're right BGD (about all of it - especially the satire. smile I sometimes used to poke fun at myself to teach the asthmatic kids their techniques. smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

9 (edited by keepitreal 2015-08-19 16:31:52)

I never thought about having to learn how to breathe, after all I've been doing it all my life. That being said, when playing the harmonica their always seems to be more notes than breath. Great post Bill, i'll give it a try.

Thick as two short planks

Good point Bill.  I have a real problem with this.  Being fit helps a lot.  I am not fit.  Not even a little bit.  Being sober when singing helps too.  Sometimes I am.  Not so much at Chordiestocks though.  When I watched some of the videos, I was embarrassed by how sloppy and mumbly my singing was.  Not enough to lay off Topdown's enormous stock of bourbon, but you know... some.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

If I have to be fit and sober, I'll pass and take my chances. Thanks Bill

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Haha! Of course, Peter, I understand. But please don't ever stop singing and playing. I look forward to the times when I get that notification - "Peter Benson has just added......." or however that goes. I did tell you I have you on my bedroom tv's YouTube wifi system, right?

That means all I have to do is bring up YouTube, hit "subscriptions" and there you are, all my friends on the tube; you, Amy, Russell, etc. - can't remember right now who else. And i have them all on auto repeat.

It's great and you be just who you wanna be, my friend!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Well, I got as far as looking to my right and breathing in, then I looked to my left and did the same. Then I thought it's time to go to the pub and lubricate the vocal chords.

Thick as two short planks

Funny thing, UJB and I were talking about this very thing during the Paarrrrr-tay the other day.  I took vocal lessons once upon a time, and know how to breathe properly... however... when sitting down hunched over the guitar, it's not as easy to do as it is while standing up straight with proper posture (which goes a LONG way to assisting with breathing).  I suppose I COULD sit up straighter while playing though!

I should also say, I disagree with the whole "stomach breathing" - I wasn't taught that way.  I had heard about that method, and when I've tried to compare it to how I was taught, it doesn't really work for me.  I was taught to expand my rib cage outward to the sides and ensure I'm not raising my chest up.  One hand on the chest to make sure it's stable, and one hand on the rib cage (like a hand on the hip but up higher on the ribs) to ensure it is expanding and contracting with breaths. 

--- I'm curious what BGD was taught ???? Stomach breathing, or chest breathing? ---

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I find I breath better if I balance the cigar with a good stiff drink, but hey that's just my method

out of tune out of key and out of touch

16 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-20 13:57:53)

mekidsmom wrote:

--- I'm curious what BGD was taught ???? Stomach breathing, or chest breathing? ---

I have to tell y'all this true story which I turned into a "visual" joke......

My German Mom only went to about the 5th grade before WWII started and she had to go to work to help support the family, so she never got taught much human anatomy about where everything is, but whenever I'd get sick with a sore throat or cough, she knew Vicks Vapo Rub would help. However, instead of rubbing it on my chest, she decided to go straight to the *cough* heart of the matter, rubbed some between two slices of bread and made me eat it, not knowing that the trachea and esophagus went to different places.

But here's the punchline (and you'll have to suspend disbelief to get it).

When that stuff finally got to where it was supposed to go, I could breathe out of either end.

[points to butt and then to mouth, bending over back and forth]

Lord have mercy! There were some days I felt realy bad, but lied about it, so I wouldn't have to eat that awful stuff. God bless my Mama. She only wanted to make me feel better. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

mekidsmom wrote:

"Stomach breathing" is a misnomer. We can't breathe out of our stomachs - our lungs aren't located there. Stomach breathing just refers to the idea that you need to let tension go and allow air in to your entire lung space, not just the top, which is where we place our breath when we suck in and "chest breathe." You also need to drop the diaphragm and really let it do it's job. Lot of the time our need to have a perceived flat belly gets in the way of our breathing. (Bill can probably confirm this but I think my understanding is correct.)

Anywho, I was taught to use all of my lungs, which is what some people call stomach breathing, but really isn't. smile

It's "diaphragmatic breathing".

smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Being concerned with a flat stomach is not my problem.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude