Topic: My Fate (about wife beating)

My wife's ex was a wife beater and she got punished regularly. Our 2 oldest kids (my step sons) saw all that happened and idolise me as I (in their words) treat her and them so well. this is about him in part and some from stories I've heard and some just fiction, but it's a subject I feel strongly about.

My Fate.         Phill Williams.

She takes off my shoes, massages my feet.
She runs my hot bath, prepares my late meal.
She lays out my clothes, all clean and well pressed.
I'm off to the pub. "I might be quite late".

She asks “can I come?” I say “yeah, to drop me off.
I'll give you a ring when I'm right to come home.”
She's there right on time `cos she knows if she's late.
There'll be trouble again if she makes me wait.

Suspicions maybe; bruises she hides.
She's ashamed of the fact that her husband's a swine.
I'm good with my hands on her arms and her legs.
Her back and her ribs but never her face.

Why do I do it? Yes I've asked it myself.
This wonderful woman I've put her through hell.
But she takes all the beatings, the verbal abuse.
And I blame it on her.
She deserves more than this.

She's an old fashioned woman, it's how she grew up.
Her mother got beaten, her father was tough.
And I saw the same Friday night after pay.
When the old man came home drunk with fists flying free.

Haven't I learned after all that I've seen?
My mother died young with a clot in her brain.
They locked up my father, it happened too late.
Why can't I stop the cycle? Or will this be my fate?

There are two "L's" in Phill

Re: My Fate (about wife beating)

Stong stuff Phill well written ,my wife used to work for the domestic violence unit of Greater Manchester police as a criminologist analyzing the cases.Your poem paints a vivid picture well done for tackling this subject.

Very hard to read, Phill ... brought tears to my eyes.

As you've stated, abuse of this kind is generally a learned and then repeated behaviour. I count myself very fortunate indeed that my wonderful Dad never raised a hand to Mom, taught my brother and I to follow his example, which I've in turn taught to my boys. I grew up hearing, "Men don't hit women ... period." and am glad to have learned it.

ACOUSTICS:  Cordoba D10-CE / LaPatrie "Concert" / Takamine GD30CE-12 / Norman ST30
ELECTRICS:  EP Les Paul Custom Pro / Gretsch Streamliner G2420T
AMPS:  Traynor YCS50 / Peavey VK212 / Traynor AM150T
EFFECTS: Boss ME-80 Multi-effects / Ibanez WD7 wah

hi TF, ditto. my old man liked a drink or two on occasion, but never raised a hand to my mam with that same litany; men don't hit women ringing in my ears.

so when i separated from the witch (my ex) i met several young ladies that had been through the violence and to be honest i just couldn't believe their stories, same as my wifes.

when my oldest son told his story of seeing his birth father (as he calls him, amongst other things) hammering his mother it made a great impression on me which is probably why this came about.

hi grah, i cant imagine how much seeing things like that affected your wife. i get the feeling that sometimes third parties feel the pain more and the effects longer.

Phill

Sorry for your wives ex - he should be incarcerated - as anyone who abuses their spouse.

This site provides amazingly sad statistics.

As a teacher of 37 years, I could tell endless stories that students have confided in me about what was going on in there house. Many a night I have had a knock on my door wit a student seeking refuge.
In 98% of these cases I have personal knowledge of - always drugs or alcohol involved.

Very stirring poem Phill, good to get discussion going.
The facts on this site will blow your mind though !

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/2 … 59776.html

Thanks for sharing your life and your talent as a writer.

Jim

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

hey jim nice to hear from you. they cant jail this AH as he did the decent thing and killed himself in a car accident, unfortunately his new girlfriend was also in the car with a broken arm he gave her...she died with him. sad for her.

Phill Williams wrote:

hey jim nice to hear from you. they cant jail this AH as he did the decent thing and killed himself in a car accident, unfortunately his new girlfriend was also in the car with a broken arm he gave her...she died with him. sad for her.

Oh my ... what a nightmare; so very, very tragic for the lady who was the victim.

ACOUSTICS:  Cordoba D10-CE / LaPatrie "Concert" / Takamine GD30CE-12 / Norman ST30
ELECTRICS:  EP Les Paul Custom Pro / Gretsch Streamliner G2420T
AMPS:  Traynor YCS50 / Peavey VK212 / Traynor AM150T
EFFECTS: Boss ME-80 Multi-effects / Ibanez WD7 wah

very powerful.

Mal - Well, lady, I must say, you're my kinda stupid.
Mal - Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might wanna look to that
Kaylee - No power in the verse can stop me. BOOK-  you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theatre.

Tenement Funster wrote:
Phill Williams wrote:

Oh my ... what a nightmare; so very, very tragic for the lady who was the victim.

yes it was very tragic for her and her family. i have to say though, i breathed a sigh of relief when i heard, an all round bad man, favourite trick....glassing people in the pub