1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-12 14:36:19)

Topic: Broke My #1 E String

I don't know what I was thinking. It just kept sounding more and more discordant and I wound that key up more and more, and then, with a "~TWANNNGGGG~" which would have made Duane Eddy proud, there it went.

I have an onboard tuner with my Pocket Rockit and I can tell by the "waves" I hear when the flats and sharps are heard when I am in tune, but not this time. Maybe I need to go "visual", guys? Problem with visual, my eyes are now so bad, I have to use a magnifying glass! Ain't I a mess????? smile

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Broke My #1 E String

Nothing like breaking a string to give you a little start. TWANG is right.

Thanks Chordie for the years of music and advise.

I busted the high E paired to the low E the first time I changed strings on my 12 string.  E strings are ornery.  Don't pay it any mind.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I think the only time I break a e string is when I am changing and put a new one on and like bill I trust my ears instead of watching the tuner, what I like about my Les Paul deluxe is the auto tune when I change a string I press wind up and when it approches the pitch the light turns amber when it is to pitch it changes to green nice feature smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

5 (edited by dino48 2015-09-13 00:39:59)

I have busted alot of e strings its,pretty common among players. I have been putting on safety glasses the last couple of years as I almost took out my eye once. Ovekill but I like two eyes! I also do it use them while mowing and trimming my yards because I had two trips too the emergency room for my eye's.  Evil stuff out there!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I was painting targets today, and wore eye prote tion most of the day. Nothing wrong with caution.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

dino48 wrote:

I have busted alot of e strings its,pretty common among players. I have been putting on safety glasses the last couple of years as I almost took out my eye once. Ovekill but I like two eyes! I also do it use them while mowing and trimming my yards because I had two trips too the emergency room for my eye's.  Evil stuff out there!!

I also had a close call years ago. I used to use an Ovation tuner that had a small strobe light that you put under the strings and you looked down at it. I was tuning my 12 string and that small G string broke and hit the bridge of my nose, very close to my eye. It left a blood spot and a fear of that happening again. I always used safety glasses after that.

Thanks Chordie for the years of music and advise.

Sometimes I think a thimble would be a good choice when changing strings.  I generally stab myself in the finger after I cut the ends off and stupidly try to tuck them under.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Any of you guys or ladies ever leave the E string long and stick your cigarette on the end?

Come on, you can tell your ol' pal Bill. I won't spread it around! wink

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Any of you guys or ladies ever leave the E string long and stick your cigarette on the end?

Come on, you can tell your ol' pal Bill. I won't spread it around! wink

Never tried that but I have slid one under a string on the headstock between the tuning pegs.

Holds real nice.

At the nut?

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Its always the high G on my 12 string that breaks for me, I usually play it as an 11 string for a while, till I get around to re-stringing.
Hi guys, havent bin on here for quite a while, have an arthritic left hand which makes it hard to hold down the strings.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

At the nut?

Nope. Too tight at the nut.

Either on the D or G string at the post. Although it might not work on an electric with light strings.

Hey TwangTown welcome back.