Re: Monday Morning's Classics

My latest submission is 11 minutes of beautifully played songs featured in a medley/vignette format. I hope y'all enjoy it. Have a great week!

Bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mrKJ52OWKo

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

The unmistakable smooth tones of a Gibson ES-335 with Classic '57 pickups ... and very well-played at that. Mr. Evans looks as if he's really enjoying himself, and it comes out in the relaxed style of his playing. Great post, Bill !

28 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-10-26 13:26:12)

"Relaxed". smile I guess that is why I love the jazz-style of playing so much, TF. It allows one to really explore the guitar and its beautiful "smooth" (in your words) nuances.

Thanks also for identifying the make, model and the pickups for us. I never could have done that on my own, but what can one expect from a drummer who is a relative "newbie" on guitar? Still only a beginner - learning - and I hope I always will be.

Just word about my choices on the "Classics": Sometimes I like to feature the "stars", but I also sometimes stumble across someone who is not famous but exceptional and feature that person instead. I hope y'all won't mind if I take that little bit of leeway?

That being said, a "watch out" to all my Chordie friends for one of "our own" coming your way soon. smile

Thanks and feel free to submit any requests with a pm if you'd like me to feature someone special. I specify a pm so that it will come as a "surprise" to the rest of all my friends here.

I haven't forgotten about P.D.Q. Bach either, TF. smile

Have a great week!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Thanks, Bill ...

There are several guitars on my "wish list" that will never be mine, unless I get a big inheritance from a rich relative I don't know about (unlikely). The ES-335 is one of them, and I've plugged them in and played them numerous times over the years. They are quite special!

Smooth and easy to listen to, thanks Bill!

Amy

ps - this is "your" thread, you can feature whatever you like for your "Monday Morning's"  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

31 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-11-03 04:36:26)

These guys: If I weren't about to give you the information that the group is named "The Shadows" who sometimes backed the great Cliff Richard, how many of you would have guessed it.

That video and the clothes could pass for any contemporary group of today. But instead this Monday Classic is from 1960.

I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzgbcyfJgfQ

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill they sounded great,the video was good,thanks for posting.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks, dino, I am glad you liked it. Did you see where the bass player had his cigarette stuck? Man, if that ain't representative of the 60's, I don't know what is! smile

Your Pal

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

34 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-11-04 21:31:35)

Y'all found a golden nugget, Bill ... thoroughly enjoyed this. The guitarist (Cliff Richard?) could be a stand-in double for a young Woody Allen! smile

The lead guitarist you refer to is not Cliff, but Hank Marvin, TF. I've enclosed a wiki link for you and it might also be noted that the band has been a major influence on many of our top stars. They're all over YT, including a concert you might like. (Those dance-steps are cool to watch).

Now what I am trying to figure out is: did The Ventures come out before The Shadows?

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Marvin

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill

I think I heard at least three songs that were hits later come from mutated versions of what was played in this song.
There are elements of the beginnings of a couple of Johnny Cash songs, the song from the movie ( Good bad , ugly)

Amazing - way ahead of their time.  I think he looks more like Buddy Holly than Woody Allen though .

Thanks for the introduction to some cool stuff.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

37 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-11-09 14:02:04)

The Lady (please increase your volume): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3FlG2uJgY8

Enjoy

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

And the gentleman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU2wHIwf_70

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

39 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-11-09 15:14:34)

Bravo, Bill ... bravo!

Ms. Liona Boyd has that winsome, self-effacing persona, that implies she's unaware of just how great she is. Here's a clip from an appearance she made on the Super Dave Osborne Show back in the 80's, and she also reveals a classy sense of humour, as she and Super Dave ham it up a bit starting at 4:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kweII04U4Rc

And Maestro Feliciano? There no words to describe just how great he is.

Bill, when you began this thread, you stated an intent to give followers a lift on Monday mornings. Well, you've certainly come through this week. Many thanks!

"Super Dave Osborne"? I never even watched his show. I don't know why, exactly, TF; maybe it was that outfit of his. I just always thought "Who is this guy???". To see he appreciates Ms. Liona Boyd as we do, came as a shock to me.

Such a shock, in fact, that I'll see if I can find out some more on "Super Dave".

Glad you enjoyed the two versions of La Malaguena. I had been looking for a guitarist to represent the ladies when I thought of her. The Maestro, of course, needed no introduction. I just feel bad for those folks who thought "Light My Fire" and "Feliz Navidad" were all of his repertoire.

Thanks for the compliment!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

"Super Dave Osborne" was a Made-in-Canada show, which spun off from another show called "Bizarre" (hosted by John Byner). It was obviously low-budget, down-home style humour, but it was an icon for years ... sort of our version of the Carol Burnett show. The main character is played by host Bob Einstein, and he was mocking all of the hype surrounding Evil Knievel back in the 80's. Every one of his shows featured him doing a "stunt" at the end, and he always got busted up.

Sorry this is so late. The late Danny Gatton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ2Q2D3G6Rs

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

That's impressive guitar work ... great post, Bill.

Gotta say though, that I can't imagine the dripping beer would have done his strings or his guitar any good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPA6Dd3YCpk

smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Fantastic playing.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Woohoo ... I had forgotten all about these guys!

I remember all the stir they caused when they first came on the scene, and really showcased South American style guitar to the rest of the world.

Thanks, Bill ... this was a trip down memory lane!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all our friends!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Km7_QYpSoo

Bill and Dondra

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Such an amazing talent ... great choice, Bill. A lot of modern versions of classic Christmas tunes range from horrible to extra-cheezie, but this is very classy.

49 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-12-28 23:53:48)

Our own Arkady

http://ourstage.com/tracks/YVAVTELFLRXS … e-universe

Click on the picture. Thanks

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... breathing the fresh air!

Thanks for this post, Bill. I've been enjoying Arkady's music for some time now, and it certainly reminds me of the early days of Tangerine Dream. If his music is any revelation of his soul, then it's a beautiful one, for sure.