1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-15 15:34:54)

Topic: Learning "The Monkey And The Engineer"....

....... and found that, due to my arthritis I'm having trouble with the C chord. I use something called "Blue Emu" to massage into my hands and fingers before I practice, but I am wondering about another product which D'Dario makes. It's those springs you push together with your fingers?

Do any of you use that thing and if you have arthritic hands/fingers as I do, does it help?

A7, D7 and G are no problem. Just that dad-blasted C. smile

Thanks

Bill

ETA: I'm also thinking of buying one of those wax baths to soak my hands/fingers in. Anyone having any luck with those?

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Learning "The Monkey And The Engineer"....

Is it the ring finger that gives you the problem, or the stretch between the index and ring finger or what?

I used the spring thingy when I was young. I don't think they are very useful, but then again I have a few years left until arthritis strikes. (Hopefully).

All of it together, BGD, but it's the ring finger which actually hurts when I make the stretch.

Thanks!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I just found this gentleman's video for easy C and G. Thanks, Glenn Sutton!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXW-EQF5NDQ

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Options below. Even if they don't work for you they are great drills.
1. use your pinky instead of your ring finger. (Not sure if that'll work but it's a great exercise either way. See my other response to you.)
2. 3rd fret barre chord.
3. The good ol' long C, which looks something like this:

x
x

You play the 555 as an index finger barre chord and stretch that pinky up to the 8th fret low e.

6 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-15 23:08:56)

Thanks, BGD for your time and effort! I did the long C just now and can't reach that 8th fret with the pinky. I do better with the ring finger pressing down.

My fingers are short and stubby, and then there is that dadgum arthritis. When I stretch that pinky, I can barely reach it where it's supposed to go, can't press down and my hand starts shaking. Should I stay with the short. easy C?

Thanks!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Yeah try fretting the root C with your pinky instead. or whatever is in that video, if that works for you. I can't watch it as I'm on a plane at the moment.

One note on the long c - you really need to pull your elbow in and get the outside of your palm (near the base of your pinky knuckle) around in order to make that work. It takes some work.

How about a 2 finger C. Use your index and middle fingers or your middle and ring fingers on the A and D strings. Just don't play the B string; sounds terrible.

On a side note..... I use a regular A and D as opposed to the 7th's. It works just as well.

Fun song to play. It became part of my regular rotation back in the spring. Next time we get together I'll record it.

Great point.  Another option is c add 9 which will sound good in a lot of songs.

X