Topic: Do Not Call List

I know everyone hates those annoying calls from tele marketers or robot calls trying to get you to sign up for a credit card or whatever if you do not register you phone after the 30th of this month you will be charged each time you pick up but there is a number you can call to block this I just registered my cell phone the number to call is 888-382-1222 if you get any calls you can report them at this number too there is a free website also     https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx if you need more information.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Do Not Call List

Good luck with that. I've been on the DNC list for around 7 years and I update every 2-3. Still get "Rachael (or some other name) from cardholder services" at least once a month. When I reported the number I found out that it shows up as inactive. I've started playing with them to waste their time and it's cut down on the number of calls I get.

true story I get a call from miss cleo telling me I have won three free psychic readings for free and what do I think about that? . my response , if you are so psychic you have known better than to call this number and hang up on her

out of tune out of key and out of touch

I'm unlisted (and have been for years) but the "robodialers" still manage to try once in awhile. The best option is a "whitelist device" that will only allow incoming calls on your own list of numbers, and it rejects everything not on the list (that you compile & input).  That option works well and other than once in awhile getting someone unable to get through that you would normally not object to (like that unpublished back line at your doctor's office), is bulletproof. 

If I know you and would like you to call me, you have my number already (or my cell). If you are going to be in the area and would like to touch bases, e-mail me and I'd be happy to add your number to my list.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

unclejoesband wrote:

Good luck with that. I've been on the DNC list for around 7 years and I update every 2-3. Still get "Rachael (or some other name) from cardholder services" at least once a month. When I reported the number I found out that it shows up as inactive. I've started playing with them to waste their time and it's cut down on the number of calls I get.

yes I suppose there are a few that will get through but still there are quite a few that wont so it is still a good option I like your response to waste there time seems only fair smile

What the automatic dialers are doing is criminal. No amount of regulation will help. They are generally off shore and aggressive.

most of the calls we get in the UK are from India, Pakistan or the orient, but they all seem to have  English sounding names???

i have a facility on my house phone that blocks these calls, it's well worth the extra couple of pounds.

most calls we get over this side of the pond are for PPI claims, or some new government incentive for solar panels which they say is free then slam you with a huge loan, or wall insulation or surveys that aren't really surveys but are trying to get you to buy some garbage or other, just like spam on the phone.....ban and zap...if only

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

We get the occasional robo call from the politicos, but I sign up every time it's offered anyway, so many thanks, Russell! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

The Do Not Call list allows surveys and political calls.  So we wind up getting "surveys" with questions like "Would you rather your house rot and fall down around you, or get new gutters installed?" 

We don't do surveys any longer.  At all.  If someone is aggressive, I tell them that giving my opinion requires a consultation and my consulting fee is $300/hour.  Then I ask them what number I can fax an engagement letter to for agreement to my fee.  So far no one has taken me up on the offer, which is good because I haven't got a 1099 to let them pay me or an engagement letter to send. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Heh! That's both funny and clever, Z. Your permission to use it, Sir? wink

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I hang up on them or just do not answer or answer it and let it set there while the are talking. Russell are you mainily talking about cell phones,in that case I do not have one.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

It's ironic that Capital One is one of the biggest offenders with suppertime calls. Their TV campaign used to emphasize what a nuisance the banks were, but they're far worse. They called one night just as my mouth was full of something delicious from the BBQ. My usually soft spoken wife picked up, listened for a moment, and then said:

"Thanks for your kind offer, but we don't need a credit card ... we're filthy stinkin' rich." and then hung up. Of course we're not rich, but I giggle about this every time it comes to mind.

I have a contact in my phone book called "Some A$#!oll" that I add to every time I get one of these calls.   That way I know who is calling if they call back.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I think it's just best to ignore every call comes from number you don't recognize. I personally do this, and the result is, I got 1 or 2 maximum telemarketer calls in a week. That's good for me.

Some great ideas came out of this topic I like Jeromes and the "filthy rich" generally if I see a number I dont reconize or is not listed in my contacts I dont pickup I figure if it is important they will call back or send me a letter.

16 (edited by unclejoesband 2015-09-17 09:32:58)

Russell_Harding wrote:

Some great ideas came out of this topic I like Jeromes and the "filthy rich"

I use that one when I get emails that tell me: "Your compensation fund worth $15,000,000 is ready to be delivered with a ATM card". Or when the poor lonely widow needs help getting her $10,000,000 out of her country so the government doesn't take it. lol

dino48 wrote:

I hang up on them or just do not answer or answer it and let it set there while the are talking. Russell are you mainily talking about cell phones,in that case I do not have one.

My only phone is a cell and the number is unlisted but this is for land lines too

Yes, it is. I just registered all of ours yesterday (3). Does it work? Don't know for sure, but I wish it worked on bill collectors, or women who collect Bills.

smile *snark* smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass