Topic: musician or artist

john lennon called himself an artist, so was george harrison a musician?

i would like to know what would define a musician as an artist. obviously you couldn't call a guy that paints portraits for a living a musician, so would a musician that writes music (songs) be classed more in the artist category? please give your thoughts

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

2 (edited by Russell_Harding 2015-09-17 19:51:36)

Re: musician or artist

an artist generally is someone who creates be it music or paint, statues I think the term artist can be applied to a vocalist also a musican can play music but that music has to come from someone other then himself sort of a zerox machine makes good copies but cannot create,I am sure there are more definitive variations on this other then my opinion. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

An artist creates from the ideas and inspirations he receives, whether it's written, visual, or musical.. all forms are at, even the engineers create.. art comes in many forms smile it's not limited. just sayin!

Rik - just a thought@

RYME
Rikonthebeach

4 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-17 20:19:43)

If and when you have an idea and you bring it to fruition, it makes you artistic. This "ic" is an unfortunate way of saying you come close to being an artist, in my opinion.

There are many synonyms for artist or artisttry, but when and if you are an artist, unfortunately lies in the minds of others.

For instance, I like this guy's artistry and philosophy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzHmunZxJeM

See how simple it all is? Hey, Occam! Gimme back my razor!!!!!!

smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Russell_Harding wrote:

an artist generally is someone who creates be it music or paint, statues I think the term artist can be applied to a vocalist also a musican can play music but that music has to come from someone other then himself sort of a zerox machine makes good copies but cannot create,I am sure there are more definitive variations on this other then my opinion. smile

hi russ, it's opinions i'm looking for. there's an unfortunate term being used locally for singers performing in clubs and pubs here abouts and that's "artistes" so i guess your xerox machine explanation works well as they use "professionally"  produced backing tracks which are exact replicas of the originals, inc fade outs, which in my opinion makes them look daft trying to cope with the time it takes to fade. thanks for your opinion.

phill

hi ryme, first post, not bad for nine years. don't worry you're very welcome and join in with the conversations.

it's very true all creation is art in one form or another and we all build on what someone else began.

hi bill, i like the way you put it....artist-try. sounds very cynical in a very funny way. and i like the way you distinguish between an artist and artistic as in; freddy mercury was an artist and rappers are artistic...trying (very trying) but not quite there. in my mind anyway lol

Musicians are a special case of artists. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Musicians are a special case of artists. 

- Zurf

Ditto!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

to all my great chordie friends.....

I think that whether you are lennon, ian Anderson, Elvis, dylan, buddy holly, the doors, taylor swift  or Van Gough, picasso, louise fishman, monet, luke shepard, remington or a thousand other famous dudes and dudettes....

the bottom line is that  they are all defined by their willingness to take a leap of faith - that someone out there  would think their stuff is awesome......

there has to be a terrific element of excellence to get to the the top such as these fine folks... but there is a whole bunch of people that also qualify as artists... because they were willing to put their souls out there ... as many people here on Chordie do all the time....to express something that is important to them...... through painting or music.... risking criticism.... hoping for praise........

trying to reach another ... igniting a spark .... a reaction.....a sharing of similar emotion....... ( God knows Bill gets us all going smile  )
There are so many talented performers herein many different ways - way beyond what I can do... yet they make me feel like I am a part of the Chordie artistic family...... and that feels great.

Jim Valvano ( college Basketball coach ) who died of cancer, and who is the reason for the Jimmy V fund for cancer research said " there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.

I happen to agree

an artist , in my opinion, is anyone that can reach others and stir emotions.... through whatever means they can... to think, to act, to feel, to cry, to laugh, to love, to smile, to remember, to empathize, to connect.....

to plant many shade trees we may never sit under....
In the words of Agnes demille.....

“The artist never entirely knows — We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark , with great faith that what we have done has relevance and heartfelt significance"

just sayin'..................    when I read all the songs and poems, both triumphs and tragedies,  on here, I know they are genuine and intensely real life stuff -the chordie stock get togethers - thats real artist stuff -    the sharing human stories, of love and sorrows, and straight from the heart - so refreshing.  every one on chordie in my humble opinion is an artist, and  I thank you all for sharing your artistic ability with me.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

"Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

TIG, dear friend, you just brought me to number three. I am so happy to know you!

Your friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Hi Jim, so profound, I'm just at a loss for words. I hope I'm included in those sentiments?

Phill

Well Jim... I think you nailed it.  smile 

I agree - if they've created something that moves you in some way to think or feel, it's art.  A musician can be an artist... and an artist can be a musician ... they are not automatically and always one in the same, although they often are.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.